Please check my new listing for glitches and goofs

This is kind of a problem. The upstairs and downstairs share the same front entrance. There is an exterior stair on the rear of the building, which is also the required fire exit, but I prefer that guests not use it because 1) the would be going by my bedroom window, and 2) because they might be surprised at night by a bear in the back garden, which probably wouldn’t lead to great reviews.

The inner entry way has doors on either side (my living room and kitchen, with the stairway to the rental in the middle.

So do I say it’s a shared entry way?

Thanks for your tips about the wording. Now to back washing windows and waxing floors on this beautiful sunny day. I’ll check back later for more comments before I edit and open dates.

2 Likes

And re the additional night stands: the IKEA boxes are in my shop in the basement, ready to assemble.

2 Likes

@NordlingHouse Yes, it’s a shared entry. You can explain the configuration in more detail in your description, so they realize that doesn’t entail them being able to see into your private quarters or vice versa. Take a photo of it.

I’m a little confused as to why you asked for feedback in your new listing, when the photo gallery isn’t updated to how you will show things?

I understand the same curtains in all rooms, all I was saying is that it makes all the rooms look like the same room, so could confuse guests. I also understand not using useless decorative pillows. But different bed covers would be distinguishing, or maybe different color throw rugs.

1 Like

To add to the useful comments , I would suggest a photo so you can see the Bath or shower and why no photo of the outside space or is there not any.?

Finally if you want to attract families/groups show the dining table set for six.

Who is the kitchen and bathroom shared with? You say elsewhere it’s self contained?

I couldn’t really understand the configuration you have??

You mention views of nearby attractions why not include photos of them

1 Like

Hmmm. Where is the keypad lock? On your front door or on a door to the rental at the top of the stairs?

“Enter our home through the shared foyer then go up the stairs to your private apartment.” Although I would only say that if there actually a door at the top of the stairs.

If the apartment open to the stairwell, then maybe:
“Enter our home through the shared foyer, then up the stairs where you will have the entire second floor to yourself.” And remove the “private entrance” checked amenity.

I think it is best to expend a few words to be very clear about the entry and doors as you are adverting it as “Entire Home – You’ll have the apartment to yourself.”

As a guest, I would be a little taken aback if the second floor is open to the stairwell and I wasn’t aware in advance. I would be concerned about coming in late, singing Happy Birthday in the kitchen, watching sports on my computer loudly, or whatever.

I stayed in a basement apartment once with a private outside entrance, but the gregarious host promptly banged on his interior door to the basement stairs and, as soon as I answered, entered bearing banana bread. And I noticed I could not lock that door.

6 Likes

@dpfromva I’m a bit of a gregarious host but delivered some polenta pound cake to my present guests before they arrived.
I also had a entry that opened directly into my living room and over the winter I had the entryway closed in. So, now when guests are here they have a private entry to the 2nd floor and I use alternate exit doors. When there are no guests I use the front entry.

1 Like

Banana bread dude was a lovely person. I am quite certain that “creep out my 2 female guests” was NOT the intended effect.

There are key pad locks for the front door and for each room. When I rented the rooms separately I just put the last 4 digits of each guests phone number as their room and front door codes, and the upstairs hallway door at the top of the stairs was removed.

I have rehung that door. I removed the deadbolt from it, but it would take 5 minutes to replace it. I don’t want to be rushing upstairs to deal with a water leak or some other emergency, and discover that it’s locked and I don’t have my keys in my pocket (I can open all locks in the house with my master key). About 3/4 of tenants never locked that door when it was a long term rental.

I could be persuaded to reinstall the deadbolt. Please discuss.

If I rented an entire apartment I would expect a lock on the door into that space and not on the individual bedroom doors. In an entire apartment I might be in the hall or kitchen in my skivvies and not want you to come in unannounced so I’d like a lock. If a parent is bringing their kids they might not want their kids to be able to lock themselves into a room so all the locks might need the same code given to the parent.

I don’t know about these 20th century stereotypes about the decor needing a lady or a gay man’s input. But this gay lady agrees that the lighting and pictures don’t show off this property in any way. I look forward to seeing the real listing when it’s ready.

Also make clear that while it’s listed as an entire apartment it doesn’t have any lounge space. A family might be looking to play games or watch movies in the evening and that doesn’t seem to be an option there. Is there room for an a entire family to sit down and eat?

1 Like

I too noticed the lack of gathering space. Longer term if the “whole place” arrangement finds its market and is successful, maybe make one of the BRs a lounge with sofabed or daybed.

If you have a key to the deadbolt for emergencies, so the police or firefighters don’t take an axe to the door, I’d add it back on the apartment “front” door. Any lesser emergency you would pound on the door to alert the guests or you would make sure they were out before rushing in anyway, right?

People were confused about configuration of my rental space. This floor was originally 4 bedrooms + 1 bath, but Grandpa knew his kids would be grown and gone within 10 years. He framed the back window in one room as a door so the back stairway could be added and it could be a legal apartment. He wisely put the kitchen there so it would share the bathroom’s sink plumbing.

The plan is to convert 4 of the closets shown here into bathrooms for Rooms 1 and 2, and remodel the existing bath with an entrance through Room 3.

I think that having this drawing in the listing might be helpful. What do you folks think?

I’ll be staging for pix in the next few hours and will have some new bedroom pix for critique. I hope to have new kitchen and bath pix tomorrow. I gotta go live and get bookings before I talk to the bank this week!

2 Likes

The drawing is very nice and clear now. Personally I would make that larger Room 1 into a lounge space or open through to the kitchen, with a convertible couch and the plan to rent the whole thing for 4-6 people, priced accordingly as a spacious, upstairs, private, 1bath apartment is great! (As you probably realize, building bathrooms can get pricey really quickly! I’d consider an added 1/2 bath toilet and sink only, not attached to any bedroom). Or could you remove the closets near the center entry area and have that be a lounge space/ open to kitchen?

Just my 2c!!! Good luck with your project, guests and photography!!

1 Like

I will just be blunt and honest

1. Not enough images. Add perhaps 4 more

2. Remove the artist drawing. It is not helpful imo

3. Images are too dark. Perhaps take pics with more natural light, get professional pics taken

4. Kitchen looks good, but bedroom looks boring. Decorative cushions? nicer sheets?

I agree with Gypsy that a nice apartment would have a lounge space. I know you have a lot of experience with LTR and perhaps you never want to do that again but it’s a must for LTR. Also adding bathrooms that are away from the plumbing will be very expensive. I’m guessing you’re looking to do STR where neither your nor guests have to share any spaces with one another.

So I see you still haven’t gone live? Or you aren’t opening until Sept?

1 Like

The largest bedroom was the living room when it was LTR. The reason it’s now a bedroom is because I have noticed I high demand for 3BR places this summer, and the third room adds $100 per night. People don’t come here to stay indoors in the summer. My guests are out hiking, boating, kayaking, and taking excursions like whale watching, glacier helicopter trips, or glacial fjord boat trips.

Although I offer a bread-cereal-dairy self-catered breakfast and will furnish guests with sourdough pancake batter if they tell me the night before, about 2/3 of guests prefer to go out for breakfasts, and there are 2 great breakfast places within a 6 minute walk. I think folks don’t like to to wash dishes on holiday!

The ultimate plan is to add 2 more bathrooms so I have 3 separate rooms with private baths, which will maximize revenue. I’m almost 75, and want to get this mortgage paid off quickly!

There really is no STR season except May-September here in SE Alaska unless there’s no snow in Colorado and California, when we get a few skiers burning their AK Air miles.

In my first 2 years I had 2 guests who came to Alaska to see the winter, one from South Africa and one a Carnival crew member on her month off who wanted to see Alaska in the winter.

Just finished new pix, which is why I haven’t gone live, but I will within the next hour. Just working on text edits now.

1 Like

As an architecture school dropout, I prefer simple, clean and uncluttered, and IKEA furniture has worked well. Linens, including duvet covers, are all the same to keep laundry simple, and so I need fewer extra sets of them. The art in each room is different, and I’m trying to acquire more art to so I can have a different art theme in each room.

I detest and eschew tschotchkes, “decor” clutter, extra pillows, shams, and anything extra that has to be dusted, cleaned, or washed.

And please don’t stereotype my gay friends. One of them has horrible taste in both clothing and decor, but he’s a great auto mechanic, and another has no visual art talent at all. :wink:

1 Like

Hi from Australia. Found a typo;
” Hangars “are normally found in airports.

I struggled to understand how the door part works downstairs but maybe that’s just me. Also are the rooms upstairs rented out separately then people share the bathrooms ?

The listing says 3 BEDROOM APARTMENT. That’s what it is. I don’t understand how that’s not clear?

There is an outer storm porch, where there is a bench where guests can remove shoes, and a shoe rack. It’s unlocked. There is a locked front door, which opens to the first floor (in the US, that’s the main floor) hallway, which has doors to the left and right (my living room and kitchen), and a stairway in the middle that goes up to the door to the apartment on the second floor.

It will be more clear now that the revised listing is live. It will be better to comment on the thread I started for that at

Thanks!

I’m locking this thread since my listing has gone live.

Further comments can be posted to