Please can you critique my rules

Sorry Fahed - they need to be reworked- to many do’s and dont’s

How not to do a sign.
This isn’t quite to do with the opening post, but I thought I’d add it for reference, to do with putting up signs with rules on. I was buying cappuccino’s for builders when I saw this

For so many reasons this seemed petty, and would put me off actually buying one of their (delicious looking) salads.

• They’re actually telling us it’s reasonably priced, rather than let us decide. As with cheap Airbnbs, that might also arouse suspicion, and lead to a bad review!
  • They spelt etiquette really badly, on a handwritten/scribbled paper bag - not slick.
  • I would feel they were watching me fill the salad box, I’d maybe feel obliged to UNDERFILL it, through fear! Sale lost, if I feel honour bound to half fill.
  • Not only must you refrain from cramming it in, they then go on to say it again, but with a mention of the chicken and falafel - what a non-concise rambling message, who’s going to read all that, then still fancy a salad?
  • “if you feel the need”…patronising
  • Petty - the mark up is huge on food, anyone cramming too much is probably getting barely 11pence too much. If they’d add 5p to each portion, they’d more than cover any cramming-losses, and wouldn’t have to put a snarky sign up.

I bet the sales they may have lost due to that sign, far outweigh the money ever lost through cramming. I may even walk a bit further to a different coffee house, if they view their customers with suspicion.
So beware of sticking little notices everywhere, they may come across as haranguing!
Imagine if they added 10% to the price and put up a sign saying “please squeeze as much in as you can!”, sales would soar!

1 Like

The main reason for not touching the router is that the front door camera is connected to it. What I will do is sort out a separate wifi connection for the camera so that I can remove this rule.

Any specific suggestions?

Please treat my home with…
If you find any issues or questions, please dont hesitate …
If any damage is unintentionally caused or you find something broken, please contact me as soon as possible so it can be remedied.
You will find an allocated parking space for your individual use, if it is unavailable, please advise and we will sort it immediately.
We live in a quiet area with close neighbours, quiet time is from…

I could go on - I am saying the same as you but I feel a little friendlier

That makes sense. Good plan. I have heard of some people separately securing their camera.

I think your rules are fine, and if anything, a little on the light side. I don’t know why people are always encouraging hosts to have less rules, less rules! While my rules may take a few minutes to read, they are things that I expect guests to follow. If they don’t read and acknowledge the rules as is required to book through AirBnB, then they can expect to get billed for damages, extra cleaning costs, etc. If they don’t want to follow the rules of another person’s home, they can choose to stay in a hotel.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback everyone. :slight_smile:

I have a Ring doorbell also. I’ve considered asking self check-in guests to show their ID to the camera upon arrival. Do you think that approach could scare off the bad actors who would opt for self check-in after hours?

Although I don’t have any experience to speak from, I think it would be crucial for you to do an official welcome the following morning. So, if you’re going to do that anyhow, asking them to show their ID to the camera seems redundant.

Again, not speaking from experience. Please let me know how you get on.

I’m half way through the Plus verification process and have not seen or heard anything about self check-in, perhaps because we live here. They are absolutely insistent about this for the Work Collection, or whatever guff they call it, which I swiftly pulled out of for this very reason. Mr Joan said try it out for a couple of weeks but I found that I was getting ordinary bookings from people who expected to both use and abuse it for early/late check-ins.

Yeah, it’s more about 24/7 access than self check-in. They said I could get away with providing a key-holding service who can deliver the key within 30 minus if needed. So, if you live there, then you’re probably good from the word GO.

Phew…

Relief.

1 Like