Please can you critique my rules

Ooops!

They are allowed for business/corporate
https://www.airbnb.com/third-party-booking

And multiple members here report that when they call Airbnb about 3rd party bookings the agent tells them it’s fine, it’s up to the host. The primary concern is that Airbnb will use the 3rd party nature of the booking to get out of supporting you if there is a problem.

FWIW I’ve hosted several third party bookings that I know of and may have hosted more without knowing it. I’ve had no problems so far.

I’ve hosted third parties too with no problems but it can be a risk. My reasoning is a little different - if it’s obvious from the Airbnb message platform that it’s a third party booking, then I explain to the booker that the guest will have to create their oen account and book for themselves. This almost always happens.

But the important thing for me is that I DON’T have any record on the Airbnb platform that I’ve accepted third party bookings. This isn’t because they’re dangerous, or because the guests are worse or even that Airbnb won’t help out if there are problems - it’s simply because I don’t want Airbnb to have any ammunition against me (evidence in the message system) that I’ve knowingly accepted a third party.

This might seem a bit bonkers but we’ve all heard of hosts who have suddenly had their listings removed and if that happens, then Airbnb won’t usually enter into correspondence about it. (‘Airbnb’s decision is final’). Usually you can read between the lines and see why a listing has been removed - very rarely we hear that hosts fight and get their listings restored. But I don’t want ANYTHING on that message system that is against TOS and that can be used as a stick to beat me with at a later date.

Belt and braces :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Exactly!

When you get such a booking or booking request, is there any indication that it’s a business 3rd party booking?

Meanwhile, do you think I can improve my wording so as to protect from bad actors without putting off the good ones?

I haven’t knowingly gotten any business third party bookings although I am listed in the for work category. Mine have been “I’m booking for my son or husband” type bookings. Maybe someone else will chime in on what these corporate bookings look like.

I wouldn’t say anything at all about accepting them in my wording. I see Jaquo’s point about not having anything Airbnb can use against you (though I don’t employ her strategy in my own listing).

I haven’t really chimed in about your rules but since you ask, I’ll offer. I don’t think you can protect from bad actors with words. Actions such as having cameras and greeting guests in person are effective, words not so much.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. I’m petrified by Airbnb Plus compelling me to do 24/7 check-ins as there would be no-one to greet them. If I was a bad actor, I would definitely go for a 2am self-checkin. This is the one thing keeping me from proceeding with Airbnb Plus.

Don’t be. I have 24/7 access (two apartments) and although I have had very few bothersome guests, none of them were guests who had used the self check in facility. I think that the ‘work’ category (which we are in) insists on 24 hour check in (I’m not sure, it was ages ago) but even if that wasn’t the case, there are always going to be guests who just can’t get here at sensible times.

Self check in also takes the pressure off guests. If their plane is delayed by a few hours (it happens) then they can relax and don’t have to worry about getting into their accommodation. Traffic problems, flight delays, even seeing a great place to stop for dinner - all these can happen and guests prefer an element of freedom on their trip not draconian timetables.

I’d estimate that it’s a minority of guests who use the self check in that we provide - most arrange their trip to arrive during our check in window to be personally greeted - but that minority has never been problematic.

And if your mum is nearby, she can always go round on the guests’ first day to introduce herself and tell them to let her know if they need anything. That way is the best of both worlds - freedom for the guest but with that personal touch.

Fair enough! Thanks for the encouragement!

1 Like

Again, other hosts might disagree but I believe quite firmly that being able to be flexible regarding check in times definitely helps us to get bookings.

At the other end of the scale there are people who book and then, on the day before arrival, tell me that their plane will be landing at 9 pm or whatever time and they expect to be able to arrive at the apartment before 10 pm. At which point I pour another glass of wine and bless self check in :slight_smile:

That’s so much easier than a) arranging to meet them at 10 pm (or have your mum do it) or b) get on the phone to Airbnb in the hopes that they’ll cancel the guest’s stay because they’ve paid no attention to your ‘rule’ about the check in window being between 4 & 6 pm. (You’re likely to get a good review too for your flexible attitude!)

1 Like

I like, I like.

But, let me ask you this…

As you know, as things stand, I’m only willing to do 3rd party bookings with prior approval. So, let’s say John self-checks in at 1am and my mum pops by the next day to meet John and the guests say that John is not in the group, that he booked for them, and my mum doesn’t get a good vibe from the group for whatever reason.

In that situation, if I’m not happy for them to be there, what would my options be?

It depends on how you value your mum’s vibes. I know that you’ll read from a lot of hosts about ‘gut feelings’ and so on and I have to tell you that I’m sceptical. (This isn’t because I’m new to this - I’ve been ‘hosting’ in one form or another ever since I had a b & b - in the UK - in the early eighties). I’ve never developed that ‘gut’ thing.

Yes, I’ve had guests who have given me pause for thought - teenagers, people coming here for music festivals, guests with no profile pic, guests with no reviews, local people (real red flag stuff to many hosts) and I’ve always been wrong.

A vibe wouldn’t be enough for me. I’d ask your mum exactly what the problem was. And if it was just a feeling, then I’d relax. I’ve had loads of ‘feelings’ about guests and hardly any problems. But with a real grievance, then as a remote host, you’d have to call Airbnb if your mum didn’t want to ask them to leave. But it would have to be a genuine grievance. You don’t necessarily need a rule about it - uncivilised behaviour is enough. After all, it’s Airbnb’s reputation that’s at stake.

I’m sure your B&B background helped you develop that indifference. I supposed mixing personal vs business attitude is a struggle for most of us. If I was in London, I’d probably develop it. But, alas, need to work around my mother.

Wouldn’t the real grievance be that a 3rd party booking was made without prior approval and I don’t approve?

Yes, that would be a good reason to contact Airbnb as long as there was nothing to suggest that you knew in advance. I.e. ‘My co-host has just discovered that this is a third party booking’. Although as others have said, some Airbnb reps aren’t really bothered about it anyway. (In which case hang up and get another rep.)

I’m sure that your mother will be able to manage :slight_smile: Developing a thick skin is a good idea and she won’t like it if you’re criticised but if you make sure that she has the right tools at her disposal and that she understands the system, she’ll be fine. It’s not an easy job but you can make it a lot easier for her with the right preparation.

I would suggest a home emergency service who will deal with plumbing, electricity, broken locks etc 365 days a year. I have one on my home buildings insurance. It needs to be one which covers the rental situation.

1 Like

I definitely agree with this! It is CRUCIAL for non-English speakers to be absolutely precise with no room for misunderstanding.

For entire property rentals, I believe in making a clear distinction between the Business transaction, which includes the House Rules, and Hospitality. In other words, there is no need to say please or thank you in the Rules: these rules are what you sign up for when you book. The friendly hospitality is in the communication prior to and during the booking, at check-in if you do it personally, and a friendly helpful house manual & local guidebook.

@Fahed, personally I think some of your revised rules are still open to misinterpretation. I know I’m late to this thread and hope it is not annoying to get yet more comments…

Somewhere on another thread there was talk about prioritising rules, ie. only include what is MOST important to you.
If you mix up things like “logging out of Netflix account” (is that really the end of the world??) with the truly important ones like “No partying” and “No smoking”, there’s more chance that the rules won’t be taken seriously. Things that you don’t want guests to do but are not heinous crimes should go in the relevant section of the House Manual.

Also, I would suggest including the consequences of breaking the rules. That is, “The booking will be terminated and you will be required to leave the premises immediately if you …”. As said, this doesn’t mean you’re unfriendly. It shows you mean business.

I’ve seen lots of your questions and how much this venture means to you, but not been able to reply until now. You’ve had some great advice from everyone and shown how much you appreciate it, I so wish you well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words and your golden advice. I tbi k your advice might be the icing on the cake which I forgot to put.

I’ll update my rules first thing in the morning. Many thanks once again.

I thought of another thing regarding your rules on Visitors with prior permission. The biggest mistake that new hosts make, in my opinion, is being too accommodating and ingratiating towards guests, not having clear rules and consequences for breaking them and even then letting the wishy-washy rules slide a bit. I know I was like that at the beginning. Man. I’ve learned over the years!!

All guests need clear and precise rules and instructions, particularly non-English speakers. It’s secure and comforting for them to know what’s what. Those few sneaky bad guests planning a party or bringing extra people need to know right from the beginning that you are running a professional business and you won’t tolerate any nonsense.

Therefore, I think you should start with a tough stance on Visitors. Just don’t allow them, full stop. I can see a situation where a guest said oh sorry, we forgot to ask you. Or someone not understanding the difference between a “guest” and a “visitor” (they are the same word in some languages).
So perhaps it’s best to start tough and then you can relax a bit when you see what kind of guests you’re getting. Many guests are not shy to ask, eg. ‘I see you have a strict rule on no visitors but I was wondering if it would be ok for…blah blah’.
Having written that, I see that I am contradicting myself somewhat!!

1 Like

Okay… So… Here’s the latest version… And I’ll explain the logic below…

1. As the house is a large high-end house in a high-end London area, there is little competition for anyone who wants such a property. This puts me in a stronger position with regards to setting rules as their options are limited. (It also means that I need to look for guests outside of Airbnb because the number of travellers looking for such a property through Airbnb are also limited.)

2. The first 5 rules are a set of “do’s” and “don’ts” which reasonable to anyone who reads them.

3. The second 5 rules are harsh, but they are conditional and an easy way to comply has been given. This seriousness is intended (A) to guide the few who actually care about rules and (B) as a tool against those who don’t care about rules. I must have a risk-averse approach to hosting because the consequences are too great to bear and if my seriousness scares some people away, then so be it.

For anyone who still has patience with me, any final critiques of this version?

1 Like

With the router isn’t it sometimes necessary to reset this if the WiFi goes down?

I’ve never had to. Should they need to, they can contact me first.

OK. On mine you just push the button in for a minute. It happens about once every month or two. I can’t think what else guests could do to a router, they’ve never touched mine but then I am on site.