Please advise - Unpleasant experience with stay

Of course, we all know it is work. I am paid in full for cleaning, by having that overhead cost worked into my Rental Fee. One fee, the rental , is more simple. Believe me, I don’t work for free! My rent reflects the cost of my labor and cleaning products.
I simply INCLUDE cleaning as part of the rent.

Bill and I feel the same here I guess! If they have to pay a fee to clean, why would they care about their behavior?
I get very clean guests, they have almost always left a clean place. But then my house is a shared, with the Guest Room as part of the main house.
Imagine them making a mess in the kitchen with me walking in the door!

James, as I just EXPLAINED… I have had a cleaning fee in place for 5.5 years and only one inexperienced traveler complained, and aside from him, NONE left a mess because they felt entitled to being messy after paying for cleaning. Hundreds and hundreds of guests over the years James… and NONE felt entitled to leave a mess because they paid for cleaning! So in theory, it sounds like something people would do, but at least in my actual day in and day out experience, the facts have not borne out the theory… Indeed it’s been the opposite. You tend to get better guests because they have paid well to stay at your place.

I also do get the idea that you want to cover everything such as cleaning as an “invisible cost” in the rent. I get that.

No response from the host yet.

I will just decline and check back tomorrow…

You do have a point. My cleaning company charges me $150 (and that’s what I charge) to clean and set up my 3bdrm2bth cottage whether it was for one night or a month. So I tell my guests they do not have to clean but if they don’t leave the place neat and tidy they may be charged extra. So far, for the most part, this is working for me.

1 Like

This has brought to mind renting cottages in Sweden. I have done this many times and in various parts of the country. From wilderness cottages to more urban settings. You pay rent, by the night or by the week. Whoever you book through, when you check out, you are expected to do a complete cleaning of everything. The rule is, “leave it just as you found it”. In some larger places with lots of rentals, a girl will come inspect and tick you off her list before you can turn in the keys, in smaller places no inspection, it works on trust and expectation.
I always said that this would only work in Scandinavia, where trust is at the heart of life. Sadly, I hear that this is breaking down there with the influx of different cultures with different values.
I think as Air BnB hosts, we have a right to create our own system. Make clear to renters what that system is, then enforce it.
If I had a large rental house, and people stayed for a week or more, I expect a cleaning fee is in order.

Yes… totally dependent on what the space and market will bear. I’d rather have it sit empty than not charge cleaning. I work hard for my money!

We have them in New Zealand as well - they are called holiday cottages and sometimes you can rent them through your work (typically Councils) or through organisations like the Blind Foundation (where they are gifted to the organisation). They come with everything in terms of kitchen wares but sometimes you are expected to bring your own bedding / towels.

I’ve had guests ask me if they had to bring their own linens because that is the practice where they are from. I hope then they they will be happy with what they get here, as it should feel civilized in comparison! :slight_smile:

Jersey Shore area here in the U.S. is known for not prividing linens, etc. but they still charge a clean fee. In my opinoion it is really mislabeled and should be called a “turnover” fee.

When I first started listing I would see on VRBO there was a cleaning fee and thought it was strange to not just include it in the rate, and thought it was tacky. But then I eventually understood the reason why it is listed. When you are paying someone for example a flat rate of $125 to turn the home for each new reservation…you really can’t average it out. Not when you get guests renting for one night vs. a week and everything else in between. Until the sites allow a one night rate, two night rate, three night rate, four night rate, five night rate, etc. it really has to be separated out.

Most people I know who include cleaning fee in a whole home rate only rent by the week, and reservation never varies. Now some do try to average out and it works for them. But my reservation lengths are just all over the place and I just can’t see charging the same rate for 2 nights vs. 7. The shorter the rental term the higher the guest is going to pay. They have to understand if it costs $125 just to get the home prepared for them for even one night. It’s really the guest’s choice if they want to spread the “turnover” fee over a longer stay.

1 Like

This is why I discourage guests from booking one night. By the time they have paid all the fees they could have stayed at the Mauna Lani.

However I don’t give a discount or eat the cleaning just to book one night. I have a local motel I send them to, as

1 Like

I’d say you have come to the wrong place. This is a forum for hosts, not guests.