Plans in light of vaccine distribution

You’re right, I don’t have empathy for people who made a decision they knew at the time wasn’t a good one.

3 Likes

@muddy let me know when you know everything, all circumstances & your judgement is perfect.

This discussion wasn’t about anyone’s judgement being perfect, it was about doing something that the person was well aware carried a lot of risk but decided to do it anyway, then bemoaned the result.

1 Like

I’m sorry to tell you that @muddy is the wise one here, and your judgment is far from perfect.

this forum is about two way discussion, and pointing out when somebody obviously makes bad decisions is part of the process here. Lashing out or being righteous when you’re caught doing something that has either gotten you or other people in trouble is wrong no matter how many ways you try and twist it.

The truth can be harsh sometimes. Oh, and by the way, sitting in judgment of somebody is not what is happening here - it is profound and sound advice given by experienced hosts to somebody who was apparently quick to abdicate any responsibility for safety for themselves or others in the false name of social grace

On the other hand, it is human nature to try to find a reason for misfortune, and finding that someone did something wrong is one way to try to convince ourselves “it can’t happen to me.”
I know several people who stayed at home, only went to stores and such masked, only visited with others outdoors, and got Covid. They have no clue how.
I myself took a calculated risk traveling when elders in another state need help. I had a number of potential exposures that could be reduced but not entirely eliminated. And was terrified I would be a source of infection to vulnerable relatives. Very relieved to get negative tests in the aftermath.

1 Like

I know very well that some people who thought they were being super careful have contracted the virus and can’t figure out how or where. And that sometimes you have to weigh the risk if it’s a matter of needing to go help someone out who really needs that or getting essential things done that just can’t be ignored.

Going out to a restaurant with friends, family or coworkers, where the staff or other patrons aren’t wearing masks doesn’t seem to me to fall into that category.

3 Likes

Study carried out in Scotland a wee while back suggested that shopping was the major common denominator in many cases of infection.

All the talk of masks etc would appear now to be academic, if you live in Texas. I think your current strategy will be with you for a while @KKC, sadly.

With less than 7% of Texans fully vaccinated and another Covid-19 surge potentially imminent, Texas is flinging open businesses to full capacity while simultaneously ending its highly politicized mask mandate, the state’s governor, Greg Abbott, announced on Tuesday.

“It is now time to open Texas 100%,” a maskless Abbott declared to cheers at a crowded restaurant in the city of Lubbock.

Is he fecking deranged?

JF

2 Likes

The depth of derangement of U.S. politicians seems to have no lower bound.

1 Like

Lucky for me I don’t go out much, even in non pandemic times. Costco will continue to require masks. Many stores offer online orders and curbside delivery and home delivery. My favorite bar has been Dusty’s Bar and Grill for years. So I feel safe.

Abbott and the other GOP don’t care about Texans’ safety. The GOP represents business and private enterprise. If they can’t monetize it, they aren’t interested. The GOP has realized there is a seemingly endless well of gullible people willing to send them money, endorse any cockamamie idea and repeat fantasy as fact. I keep thinking it has to end sometime, somewhere but I don’t know where.

8 Likes

I hear the prices and size of measures are similar to the rooftop terrace at Casa Juan’s Rooftop Terrace and Bar, my favourite hang out joint. The food in their downstairs restaurant is pretty cool as well, but the grill only open March to October…

JF

5 Likes

:roll_eyes:

If you’re the kind of person that is eating inside a restaurant during a pandemic then at least the question of “why” is answered.

Because what I do know is that you went inside a building and took off your mask and chomped and chewed and cleared your throat and, if eating with others, you talked and laughed and maybe even raised your voice.

What I also know is that restaurant workers were forced to go back to work so that people like you could go into a restaurant and pretend that things are normal. Even though I work in healthcare, my husband is in the restaurant industry (well not anymore, lol), and the people we know that were sick, permanently disabled and died were by far the restaurant workers and not the healthcare workers. The reason being is that the healthcare workers were not working all day in a building full of unmasked people chomping and talking (does a patient pull a mask off sometimes? sure, but not all of them and not for 6-12 hours straight).

Experts admantly warn against being inside with unmasked people, especially for more than 15 minutes. A server’s shift is anywhere from 6-12 hours. That is an inordinate amount of exposure to unmasked people to work a non-essential job. In fact, there is no other job that requires that amount of exposure to unmasked people, not even dentists who only see 4-8 patients a day, one at a time. A server in a restaurant is routinely exposed to 100+ people during a shift and when that is unmasked people inside a restaurant during a pandemic, then it is basically a Covid-farm and no amount of correct mask wearing by the servers is going to change that because the room is full of aerosols from people like you being inside there without a mask on.

You’re not a victim, you’re a perpetuator. Enjoy the virtue signaling too :wink:

4 Likes

Dusty’s and Casa Juan’s sound just about as nice as J&M’s bar and view restaurant, but it sure would be nice to have a change of scenery!

Someone on fb noted that allowing 2 states to lift all mask mandates is like thinking that piss won’t spread in a swimming pool. Or having the smoking section and the left hand side of the plane! Which I actually flew on<><>!

5 Likes