Pets allowed: Cats vs Dogs

By putting it into search criteria people could search for properties which allow the animal they wish to bring. Currently they search on “pets allowed” then ask the host to see if it is okay to bring their toucan.

2 Likes

Or snake or ostrich or pony or tarantula or lynx or polar bear…

I bet those cans of tuna 10,000 years ago didn’t have a label saying ‘Solid Albacore in Water’. :rofl:

3 Likes

Or “Chicken of the Sea.”

2 Likes

I live on the hillside of Anchorage, AK. We frequently get bears and moose in the yard. With small children we have a large dog to alert and protect the kids outside. (Last summer my dog nearly had a piece of a sow bear’s backend before she swatted at him and then ran off with her three cubs.)
With the opportunity for a bear to grab the animal, my dog being on site, and EVERY PET OWNER SAYING THEIR DOG/CAT/ETC WON’T SHED AND BEHAVES SO WELL… I just don’t allow pets on site. Haven’t had to deal with a service animal or ESA yet…

Kudos to you for offering a place for people who travel with pets! I’m a hard “no”.

I helped out a friend with a month long rental while she was moving out of her old home and waiting to move into her new one. With her three cats, who were adorable especially when they decided to sleep in the underbed drawers. She is fabulous, she had her cleaning crew (she’s a real estate agent) come in and do a complete clean of the place the day she checked out.

I was doing a last check for the next guests and opened the top of the drip coffee maker. Yep, cat hair. It really gets everywhere. My granddog also has magic hair that literally weaves itself into pillowcases, etc. You have to pick it out with tweezers after using the lint roller.

So nope, no Airbnb guest critters allowed.

On the other hand they were probably line caught.

1 Like

My cleaner had to take the tweezers to get corgi hair out of the rug as vacuum wouldn’t do it. We are pretty tolerant of dogs here as she has 3 herself but that was a new one.

We get bears right in downtown Juneau, where my neighbors lose raspberries and chickens to them.

That’s why I bought my own BearSaver rollaround bin when I bought the house 15 years ago. Black bears have rolled it all over the back yard, jumped on it, and chewed the plastic corner overhangs, but have never been able to open it.

So my House Rules warn about bears and porcupines, which I also cite for my “shared entry”, owner (with severe allergies) occupied, as reasons why if guests appear with an animal they won’t be able to stay. Not a huge problem since guests have to fly or take a ship to get here.

It’s a shame that Los Anchorage hasn’t adopted a strict garbage ordinance like Juneau’s. We have far fewer bears in town after early spring than 20 years ago (and many fewer killed), even with a growing bear population. You may never be able to get moose out of town unless you stop growing browse trees, but you can get rid of bears by strongly enforcing bearproof garbage storage.

1 Like

Meh. A bear killed a moose calf just about 100 yards from my house last month. So bear proof garbage cans, while they can help, and are probably the lowest hanging fruit, won’t solve everything so long as we still have moose here.

1 Like

By the way, glad to hear that bear didn’t get in that can! No reward for bad behavior is the best result for bears. They just keep moving on.

3 Likes

As a driver, I’m happy to take a boat trip for a couple of hours to hunt moose as long as they aren’t on the Juneau road system.

Back in 2006, I was working late, driving home on Northern Lights near Bragaw, a moose came out of the roadside berm right in front of me. Grateful that it was 2am with no other traffic, because with that Avis Toyota with no studs I ended up on the far side of the road facing the other way while the moose trotted off.

If I lived on the Hillside, I’d be checking to see if there’s a bow hunting season.

1 Like

I have a Bengal cat and she travels with me. I think because she’s been so socialized, she may be an exception to the “how cats behave” rules. She’s been on many a plane ride, long car rides, and different homes. As long as she has her blanket, toys, a scratching post, her litter pan and me she doesn’t care. When driving, I set up her litter pan on the floor and she’s even used it whilst I have been driving down a highway. I keep her nails trimmed and she knows better to go after furniture. She’s stayed in different friends’ homes without incident and as long as pets, treats, and playtime happen, she’s well behaved.

I’m a smell freak and I’m always told by departing guests (and friends) that they can’t smell the cat in my home. I love that! And I always ask if there is a smell because Florida allergies and familiarity can affect my sense of cat smell.

Haha!! I can relate. I’ve had guests with allergies say they’ll be fine and they were (Bengals are somewhat hypoallergenic) but it’s the second sentence after “Thanks for booking… Please confirm you know about the cat and are OK.”

I keep the guest suite closed after I’ve cleaned it in between guests, but try telling a Bengal that she can’t slide in and go under the bed and test the bed… Fortunately, almost 100% of people who book or inquire (I have IB) always mention Bella in the initial contact and that they either have cats or love cats or will miss their dogs and are glad for the furry companionship. She always gets a mention in reviews. And a few selfies requests, but she’s a diva and cooperates rarely. Diva cat pics for cat tax.

3 Likes

I allow dogs and cats. Cats have been less of a problem.

2 Likes

A friend of mine was moving house drove from Florida to Arizona with son and cat. She had bought these cardboard litter boxes with a hole that the cat can go into and do its business. Then you can just throw the whole thing away at the end of the day. Apparently it was quite successful.

2 Likes