People forcing a one night stay for free

Yes never underestimate the ignorance of the general public. People ask me if they can check in early I try to accommodate them always asking what time they want to check in. If I have a guest leaving then they can’t and i will tell the client that.

I say sure and send a request for $15. The cheapskates back out and the folks who seriously want to come early, pay. No one gets the key code until this is settled.

2 Likes

I get a lot of early check-in requests. I have a standard reply, and it has always worked. I have 810 reviews, so I guess I’ve hosted at least that many guests. My check-out is noon and my check-in is 4pm.

The official check-in time is 4pm. You are welcome to drop your bags in the apartment any time after noon. But other than that, you cannot enter the unit until after the cleaning lady has come and left. It is not fair to her to have to clean with people in it.

I’ve found that the easiest, and least confrontational, way to put off these types is to simply tell them that they cant check in before the checkout time of the previous guest. That is to say, my checkout is at 11am so if a guest wants to show up earlier than that…no can do. My normal check in time is 5pm and I’ll let people check in as early as 2pm if I have had enough time to clean up from the previous guest. Earlier than that? No way.

You really need to pin down an agreed time with them. This especially applies to early check in but surely the normal check in window as well. I ask about their flights etc. with some people you have to do their thinking for them.
Guests seem to be foxed by the idea of an ETA. E.g. a guest will say they’re arriving at 7pm, then text at 7pm telling me they’ve just got on the bus which takes an hour so will be with me at 8pm. Why didn’t they message me at 6pm to tell me they were going to be late! Presumably they were actually aware that they hadn’t got on the bus on time!!! Arrgg!

1 Like

I always get a message after a guest books asking me if they can check in early and I always cave and say yes when I do not want to. I fear a bad review. Can you please suggest what kind of response I could give to not upset my guest and also I occasionally get a guest who wants to check out at 12.

If you can’t accommodate it or don’t want to, simply say “I can’t accommodate early check ins or late check outs.” Why should they be mad? Your rules are disclosed in advance and they booked your place anyway.

3 Likes

Firstly, never be afraid of getting a bad review - they happen to every single business. Think about the most delightful business you can (accommodation or otherwise) and look up its reviews - you’ll find a few bad ones there among the good.

Secondly, you are the boss. If your guests don’t realise this from the start, then eventually you’ll have guests who walk all over you. I understand that you want to be as gracious a host as you can and want to be hospitable but cave in to their first demand (early check in) and you’re asking for trouble.

If you want to be able to offer flexible times for check in and check out (which I do) then extend your turnover window. I need about four hours for a turnover but publish five on the listing (11 am to 4 pm) which gives me an hour’s leeway so that I can allow flexibility if required. There’s no reason why you can’t have hours of 10am to 5 pm - a seven hour turnover time should be good for almost anyone.

If all else fails, and if you still want to appear to be a gracious host, the way to do this is to ‘blame’ someone else (invented or real!) for your rules and regulations. That way, you stay being the good guy. See this article:

5 Likes

This was a good read. I need to get more comfortable blaming my “cleaner” when I can’t give a late-check-out or early check-in. Even though my cleaner is me.

3 Likes

I went on to read “words that shouldn’t be in your listing”.

I absolutely love this line and couldn’t have said it better.

“This isn’t the nineteenth century. We don’t need to be told that your place is clean.”

It drives me mad when this is included, not only in the listing, but in the title!

1 Like

yes, this is a great link. going to apply this ‘principle’ to a range of asks from guests that i sometimes hesitate simply saying NO to (without any explanation).

seems like i’ve been having more guests asking for early check ins, and I think a significant number just don’t pay attention to posted check in times.

i try to lean in to graciousness as much as I can
‘’ would love to accommodate you however official check in time is…and
INSERT EXCUSE_
let me see how i can shift… until such time…
INSERT other possibilities
e.g a list of convenient/free/cheap places to wait at or…
( I have a garage that locks where folks can store their luggage early and then be freer to move around and come back at official check in time)

1 Like