Pays weekly LONG term - 1st ever guest said: "I don't do reviews."

I’m scrolling through account, trying to find where all the places to change y’alls suggestions.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I just booked a place near doc appts in BOS, on 2 consecutive days, because looks nice, great location, and cheaper than any hotel. (that one was like 110, but 2 months notice and it’s near EVERYTHING.)

…sounds like you know the area. The man is doing something in claremont, some coat inspector thing that has to do with a big steel company and building bridge for NYC. We never intended to be renting an apartment… sheesh. That’s not what Air is for!

Right… So tell the guy the gig is up. I hope he doesn’t claim tenant rights. Remember it is your house, your rules. Tell him you have ander guest checking in and you need him out by xx time on xx date.

Well, Air can be whatever you want it to be. If you don’t want to rent your room [it is not an apartment] for a week, two weeks, etc, who is your market? I have had a ton of two night stays, and an 18-night stay when someone was taking a course down the road at Harvard, and then everything in between.

In fact, I have had several folks who stayed with me for medical stuff.

@konacoconutz. NH doesn’t have any tenant rights. Live free or die, and they mean it.

1 Like

The pic of toilet and adjacent shower IS the guest bathroom. The hot-tub picture is there because it’s pretty but if you read, it says with advance notice at least 1 day, can be reserved for an additional $10 per hour.

I like the idea to add pictures of the surrounding town area as well.

And we will double or triple rates for special events. i.e. graduiation, reunioun, etc.

Good, that is great.

The same day this guy contacted us and we’d messaged back and forth a bit, another man (accidentally had instant book on) from VA had booked 2 nights as part of his New England skiing trip! Kinda wish we would have just stayed with him. If I could rewind the clock, I would have taken mark for 2 night and calllie family for 1, and ditch this guy… worried it’s hurting our stats. hopefully it can be fixed after this week. :confused:

I can’t find where to change this part! I think it’s still there but I only see it in the preview and can’t find where to take it out. Still working on other edits, but heading to bed for now. it’s 11pm here.

Is it wrong to say “breakfast here” if you ALWAYS have tea available, do not own a coffee maker, and 95% of the time have bulk supply of homemade granola and milk on hand.

We usually have bread and eggs, yogurt, fruit and bacon also available.

Or does that mean I need to raise the price to provide breakfast. Would people expect more than a simple fruit, cereal, and tea?

Found and fixed that part. Past bedtime. Will do edits in morning but not touching it the rest of the week after that. Lol, I have other things I need to do. :wink:

2 Likes

Well breakfast is a thing you might want to be able to offer but not promise. Some hosts here swear by breakfast. Others, like me, don’t provide food at all except for coffee. I don’t promise coffee either so when they get here and see they have coffee and tea as well as sugar and creamer they are always happy. Mind you I rent out a lower level apartment but you may want to do somethig about food because you offer a shared space. Just make sure your kitchen rules are super clear. Some hosts here have restricted kitchen use and define what that means (boiling or reheating only, meals under 10 minute prep time etc.)

Read through our old threads to find ideas! And please, just say no to any guest who isn’t a fit for your house! Anything else is too stressful and not worth it.

In a year you will come back here and say, what was I thinking, shoveling guest snow and doing laundry and picking guests up! :smiley:

1 Like

Also just a thought, sometimes raising prices gets more bookings! Raise those prices girl

2 Likes

You have breakfast listed as an amenity. Under the new Airbnb Terms of Service, if a listed amenity is missing the host can be responsible for the difference in price between your listing and where they move to. Unless you want to always provide breakfast, I recommend that you remove it from your listed amenities and have it be a pleasant surprise for nice guests. Also, you have laptop friendly workplace listed as an amenity. I don’t see a laptop friendly workplace in your photos.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/guest_refund_policy

4 Likes

@EllenN is right. I do the exact same; I don’t list it as an amenity and then it’s a nice extra. I purposely describe it as a simple breakfast which gives me flexibility in terms of what I choose to serve on a day to day basis.

I would DIE without coffee. We have stayed in a places hotels or BNBs without direct coffee access, and it was the worst! We provide a french press and I was FORCED to buy a coffee maker bc people kept dinging us for not having a ‘coffee maker’. I wanted to scream.

3 Likes

I will remove the breakfast listing to be more flexible and a nice treat. (especially since we don’t have a coffee maker, LOL.) There is a small desk and chair in the corner of the bedroom, not shown in photo, and we had current guest request to use his laptop on the dining table and i said that was fine, but told him which side I wanted him to sit at, because it is antique and we know the leaf on other end had a split in it, however it is secured. (We plan to replace that table, when we have more money. It was inherited.)

Honestly, I’d be cool with laptop on my lap, and chilled on couch… although I don’t have a functional laptop, though, so I’m on a desk-top with triple-monitors!

How far is the nearest restaurant where your guests can get some breakfast?

When I started almost three years ago my listing was much like yours: a bedroom with a private bath across the hall. I was cheap, offered breakfast, rides, use of the grill, fill up your water bottles with my filtered water…

I picked up one girl at the bus station and a couple at the train station. The cost was $5 each way. After the couple didn’t give me my $5 when I took them back to the train station and I forgot and drove away, that was the end of that! After someone parks themselves in your dining room for 4 days straight, it gets tedious. When a couple takes 4 hard boiled eggs, two bananas, several pieces of toast, a bowl of cereal, makes oatmeal and then asks if you have a cup so they can take it to go…you begin to question if you should offer breakfast. I had a couple bring in their ice chest filled with empty water bottles and fill all their bottles using about 2 gallons of water. It only costs fifty cents and a quicker trip to the vendor to replace that water, but if you multiply those types of experiences by dozens of guests it will burn you out.

I’ve had beers or a glass of wine with guests many times and really enjoyed it. But I would never advertise it in advance. I also ask young looking guests their age. It’s also contingent on them not going anywhere after they check in or taking UBER from here. In other words, no drinking then driving. Most important, I only do it with people I’d like to spend some more time with. Listing is as an amenity is going to guarantee your least likable guest will ask for three drinks.

You are already ahead of the game finding this forum so I’m sure you will have many great hosting experiences in the future.

3 Likes

Is there a way for guests to make coffee and do you supply any sort of coffee at all? Many people need the coffee before they can even get in the shower.

How much are you charging for pets?

I think you may have been adjusting your pics and now there are two bedroom pics. I almost did not click on the last pic (the beautiful bath) because the bedroom pic showed up again right before it. I thought I had already viewed all the pics.

I see your house rules mention citrus on the counters. I hope you also plan to go over this in person as the few guests who actually read the rules - they won’t remember that by the time they arrive.

Steve left a 1 page hand written note (both of us signed the bottom) for this guest kindly informing him that basically… we don’t want him to take this personally, but that we would like for him to find other housing by 2/10 … You’ve been a great guest and we’ve been happy to host you, but we were not quite ready to host full-time, and since were new to AirBnb, we made some mistakes with our listing that could result in us not being allowed to host. …To correct our mistakes, we need to have several short-term guests with excellent reviews. We need to conduct ALL monetary transactions through the AirBnB site, for his and our protection, that we also need to not do special offers all the time … once again this has nothing to do with you, and it’s more about us correcting the screw-ups we made starting out.

2/5 to 2/10 would need to be $25/day but I can remove the cleaning fee.
You can use the laundry machines, snow shovels, and ice melt, but we won’t be doing it for you.

(The following week is $38 - 45 / day, with probably 50-70 for DC graduation, reunion, Claremont’s Brew-fest, Cornish country fair, etc.)

I’ve made a lot of small edits on the listing.

Are these reasonable under guest access section?

"Bedroom, Guest bathroom (walk through kitchen to access), Kitchen, Eating area, and Living room.

Hot tub (separate from guest bathroom) can be reserved for additional $10 per hour. (At least 1 day advanced notice required.)

Laundry machines available for guest use at $2.50 per load. ($1 per wash, $1 per dry, 50 cents for soap and dryer sheet.)"

Please let me know if you catch any other suggestions! I appreciate all the help! :slight_smile:

We also have a separate listing for couch and “daybed” in separate shared room and I’ve taken same suggestions over there, but just slightly lower priced than the private bedroom.