Paper Towels - Necessity?

Yes, a bit more when you consider the thickness of the bamboo

Rr

We stopped providing paper towels about six month into hosting because they wound up in the toilets! We added an extra kitchen towel to the coffee stations instead. Not a single guest has mentioned a lack of paper towels (out of 500+ since removing them), but if we had a full kitchen, I would provide a roll and a backup for guests. Try putting them on those dispensers that stop the roll at one sheet.

1 Like

We buy these in bulk from Costco and guests love it. Our rule of thumb is dedicating 5% of the nightly rate for perishable guest “goodies.” Water, crackers, paper towels, K-Cups, Creamers, etc.

We did a post about this recently. Seems to be a pretty frequently asked question.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Wow, this forum too. Many times. Imagine that.

2 Likes

Dare I ask? Who is “we” and where?

On their blog of course.

You’ve done posts about seemingly everything recently. I went looking for the paper towel one, but couldn’t make it past all the shilling. Then you lost me completely when you endorsed “Smart Pricing.”

I’m guessing you’re here hoping to drive folks to your blog, based on your expertise (“Now having hosted 25+ families in our Airbnb…”). Good luck with that.

2 Likes

Hi there!

A big fat 8 roll package of paper towels will last me over a year. Firstly, I absolutely detest them. I have a blue contractor version that is washabke, and ripped up towels that also can be washed. So PTs are strictly emergencies.

I leave a roll in each bathroom and in the kitchen and no one seems particularly interested.

TP is another matter. We go through a lot but prices are reasonable. I have up to 60 rolls at a time and stash extras in each bathroom. Boxes of Kleenex are used most often in winter, for obvious reasons.

I’ve noticed that most of the blogs are just articles filled with affiliate links. So there are the ads but then half the articles are just ads, for sheets, microwaves, noise detectors, etc. Articles on how to handle the bad review, how to handle the anger one feels when faced with a last minute extenuating circumstances cancellations, what to do when you can’t find your listing in search…those would be useful but alas, no affiliate links in those.

Wait, what?

1 Like

Yes, that cracked me up. A comment about having receive feedback from their 25+ guests about amenities they could/should be offering. I guess that makes them authorities on the subject…?

3 Likes

There’s a guy here who posts questions acting like he’s just curious. Meanwhile he posts on quora and twitter trying to drive people to his blog. I’ve seen some where they actually post screenshots from this forum on their blog. Others just take without giving credit.

There should be a name for it. Blog arbitrage?

1 Like

Sounds to me like plagiarism. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

[quote=“cooperjto, post:1, topic:35608, full:true”] Is it worth it to provide them?
[/quote]

No.
I don’t have them.
My guest have plenty of kitchen towels and dishcloths.

Paper towels are a lot of waste… and if a guest ever decides to use them as toiletpaper there is a chance they will flood your toilet or clog the pipes.

In my summer weekly rental cottage colony on Cape Cod, I don’t supply any paper towels and guests (mostly repeats from years past) know that, plus I find that people are quite picky about brands/types so having them supply own solves that.
Same reason I don’t supply any tissues, toilet paper (other than one roll to allow them to use bathroom when they arrive), soap, etc. though I do have a small quantity of dish soap (enough for their stay) but not always the brand on the bottle (marked so they/I know which is which).
ALL my guests drive here and most all directly from home so it’s not a problem for them.

In return, they get a bit lower pricing and i don’t have to worry about supplying stuff as I don’t have any room to store that bulky supplies.

Guests also provide own linens as is the custom for old style units here on Cape.

2 Likes