Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Overcoming Subleasing Clause in Lease with new San Francisco Regulation

How can I legally rent an apartment in San Francisco on Airbnb when my lease contains a consent-to-sublet clause?
Our new Short-Term Residential Rental Registry (http://www.sf-planning.org/index.aspx?page=4004#q03) contains this clause:

Important note for tenants: The Planning Department strongly recommends that you review your lease before submitting an application. The registration of your residential unit on the Short-Term Residential Rental Registry does not override any lease agreements, homeowner’s association bylaws, Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs), or any other agreement, law, or regulations that prohibit subletting or use of your unit as a short-term residential rental.

My lease (like most others in the city I’d guess) contains a consent clause about subletting:

Tenant may not assign this agreement voluntarily or involuntarily nor sublet the who> le or any portion of the Premises without the prior written consent of Landlord., which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.

This is described a bit more here: Topic No. 151: Subletting and Replacement of Roommates.

Has anyone had any experience asking their landlords for permission to do this properly?

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!