Our first guest and oh, holy S#@*!

I think the lesson for new hosts/new listings which has been repeated many times before is that hosts should stay in their listings and use the amenities to understand what’s working and what isn’t. With only 1 guest and so many problems, I predict you still haven’t found all of the new-listing issues and that this is still worthwhile for you to do.

If your listing is a separate structure located more than 30 feet away from your home, I predict WiFi coverage and bandwidth issues will continue to haunt your guest stays due to using a wireless mesh network in your home to service your listing.

1 Like

Yep, I was worried about that the second they said that their calls were dropping; we have a dedicated line going into the cottage on Thursday. (And for $65/month? So very worth it.)

4 Likes

You’ll find that this venture will reveal all the nooks and crannies. As you work through them, they will diminish and you’ll get into a good operating rhythm. I’ve been there before where the wifi was dropping, the dishwasher and giving them errors, AND MY 6 YO PYRO SON LIT A BOX ON FIRE IN HIS BEDROOM. I still don’t know how he found that lighter, but he did and the smoke drifted through the central ducting system into the attached apartment. Yeah, I fibbed about that one.

And that was all in a single day. Sigh…

5 Likes

Just cross your fingers he doesn’t become proficient at rubbing two sticks together to make fire :wink:

@GuideCottage The way you express yourself is highly entertaining, please keep posting here even if you don’t have “issues”.

2 Likes

Ah, you’re that Hiccup woman, aren’t you?

I’m still waiting on my fried chicken vouchers :confused: I reckon you’re nothing more than just another scammer leeching off hosts.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JF

3 Likes

HICHUP, thank you very much. That name never caught on. Kind of like Whoo-fee or How-fi or Hugh-fie, aka Houfy.

And yes I am “that woman” although poor Fred Burns never caught on, did he?

I don’t remember the fried chicken vouchers though. I guess I should re-read the thread.

3 Likes

I might have made that bit up, and no he didn’t, did he.

Just another :clown_face: who disappeared up his own back bottom.

JF

OK, I’m sorry that was stressful but I laughed so hard. Thank you.

2 Likes

Ha! Thank you, muddy!

I let my brother stay. My SIL is far harder on me than she would be on any other Air they’ve stayed at. I’m especially grateful that her reviews don’t get posted because it’s a free stay in blocked days. :wink:

3 Likes

Entertaining for me to read, have to admit…this whole thread. I’m not amused at your expense, but WITH you, especially because you seem to have weathered it all pretty well. Best of luck to you! (And if @KKC doesn’t get chosen for her blatant attempt at a free stay, I’ll volunteer next!)

3 Likes

…but did they leave you a 5 -star review?

1 Like

Great advice! Since I live on site and have variously slept in all the bedrooms, I have a pretty good idea what they’re all like. It’s still different from a guest’s point of view. When we live in a place, we fill in so many of the gaps.

1 Like

They’re heading out tomorrow, so … we’ll see?

2 Likes

You won’t be surprised to hear that yes, it happened in one of our rentals. I was just our of hospital so employed a ‘cleaner’ but always checked the rentals thoroughly before the guests arrived. And during one check I found male underpants in a drawer.

Now I can understand a guest overlooking one or two items when packing but the cleaner???

She never used the lint roller inside drawers either, despite me telling her repeatedly that hairs in drawers were unacceptable. These people don’t care because it’s not their cleanliness rating.

3 Likes

@GuideCottage I’m so sorry to be the one to ask, but is there a laundry hamper available to the guests?

Y’all, to close the loop, here’s the terrific review they left. If you ever have a chance to host Carmen from Colorado, jump at it:

WOW!!! This is a gem of a place, it’s what all other Airbnb’s should aspire to be! It felt like a good friend prepped the place for you and wants to ensure you have a great time in the area and a comfortable stay. The pictures do not do this place justice! It’s utterly charming, so clean, has everything you need, and just the level of thought and care Betsy and Jeff put into the place blew us away. They are such kind people! Communication was swift, check-in/out a breeze. We work remotely and were able to video call/download/upload without any issues. We were a bit concerned about privacy but they have a whole fence between, so you have your own yard (with grapes!) as well as a totally separate entrance in the back, it’s a very very private setting. This is the first AirBnb we’ve stayed at where they genuinely made our dogs feel welcome and wanted! Seriously, cannot recommend this place enough. Also the location was killer to explore Bellingham, Betsy’s guide she wrote is just a small taste of the care they put into the place. Thank you so much for opening your home to us!!

8 Likes

Wow, you couldn’t wish for a better first review.

My very first guest, a vivacious super-fun gal from Denver, said soon after she arrived, “You didn’t have any reviews!”

I answered, " That’s because my listing is brand new and you’re my lucky first guest."

She said at some point during her stay “Well, I’m going to leave you a great first review.” And she did. Not as extensive or effusive as your guest did, but much appreciated nonetheless

5 Likes

LOL! New friends!!! :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve been on this forum for 5 years and this is one of the most uplifting posts i have read. Thank you Guidecottage and all who replied.

3 Likes