Orthodox neighborhood?

I’ve been asked if my neighborhood has temples and kosher restaurants - he wants to stay in unorthodox area.

It doesn’t - it is actually about a mile away what he is seeking.

I don’t participate in questions about the ethnographiy of my neighborhood. I also think we are also not allowed to. Isn’t it on him to this research?

“I wanted to know if there were lots of kosher restraunts and synagogs in the area–I am religious and want to stay in one of the areas close to the religious Jewish community.”

what are your thoughts forum?

I can’t tell where he wants to stay but regardless you can just answer that you don’t know and leave it to him to figure out. If he zooms in on the map he can get a very, very good idea of your exact location and then research from there.

1 Like

Yes that is what i was this thinking.

I guess i’m just be careful when he says he wants to stay in the religious jewish community. I wouldn’t answer if someone said they want to stay in a white or black community. I’m not trying to be difficult, just thoughtful.

1 Like

I have to agree with @CatskillsGrrl. Imagine if the question was “I only eat vegan food. Is there a vegan restaurant within a 1/4 mile walk?” or “I run at least 6 miles a day. Are there safe places to run in your neighborhood?” or “Is there a Catholic church within walking distance?” These questions, I would answer in a heartbeat. Given the size of the area bubble that AirBNB gives potential guests, I think this type of location question is perfectly reasonable. It isn’t really a religious question, but a location/proximity one.

5 Likes

Yes “Steering" is illegal. My first instinct was to answer his questions. But maybe I was trying to be overly careful. So that is why i posed the question here.

I get asked how far I am away from the ski resort, not sure that is any different.

Strikes me as lazy because they could very easily look it up. Sort of assume they often have sent the same message as a cut and paste to multiple hosts.

If they asked me this I would not have a clue and would say so.

How? They don’t have the address yet. Since an orthodox Jew would not be driving to Shabbat services, a 1/4 mile can make a large difference in the walkability factor for any number of people.

1 Like

Put the name of my town and the ski resort they want to go to in Google Maps and bingo.

I show my exact location, 1/4 mile would take you from one end of town to the other.

It’s a fair question. I wouldn’t be afraid of answering it. It’s either orthodox or it isn’t. So it’s pretty much yes or no questions.

1 Like

You mean he wants to stay in an orthodox area.

1 Like

I once lived for 6 months in Brookline in Boston. I am not sure you’d describe it as an Orthodox area but if I had had a guest, Jewish or not, staying I would have advised them to pick up dinner before 6pm on a Friday or else they might find nothing was open. I don’t think anybody would take this the wrong way, there’s always UberEats.

I am going to correct you here. Brookline is a city with its own government that happens to share a border with Boston. Sadly, most of the kosher restaurants and delis are now long gone, and one has no difficulties in this area finding food during the Sabbath.

1 Like

I was there in 1994. Those Jewish delis were awesome. I guess places change. Good times.