Open to COVID isolating medical staff only

I’ve closed my listing to all reservations except for medical personnel who need to isolate from their families. I’ve discounted my unit as low as I can go (from $119 to $58 a night)
I’m hoping that this will cover my utilities and insurance. I might be able to lower it a bit more, but I’d be worried about scammers booking.
I don’t even know if making a change like this is allowed by Airbnb, but I went live with it anyway.
I’m a healthcare worker myself, and am currently quarantined in the main house on the property until April 1st.
I haven’t had any guests for a week, and haven’t been into the space myself during that time, so it should be safe for a guest to use.
Any thoughts? Concerns? Advice?
Since I’m currently stuck and unable to be working my job in the ER I’ve been frustrated at not being able to help in my usual way.
I certainly don’t want to be seen as taking advantage of the current situation. I have this space available, and want it to be put to good use. I’d appreciate your thoughts.

3 Likes

Sounds great. Best of luck to you and your rental efforts. There should be some way to get the word out to local heathcare workers more directly rather than just relying on Airbnb.

1 Like

I’d be handling things differently… no re-stocking of disposable supplies. (No restocking of coffee, cream, shampoo, soap etc)
There would also be no 7 day entry for cleaning. My unit is self contained (washer and dryer and tiny kitchen) so I figure a guest would be completely self sufficient. We could text or speak from across the yard, but that’s it.
Anybody else think this could be a helpful movement to get started?
How low could we go with our prices to make sure we cover utilities, but don’t invite stranger danger?
I’m also trying to figure out how I could ask a prospective guest for proof that they are working medical personnel.

2 Likes

“Thanks, Bubba for your interest in rental. As you know, I’m reserving this time and price for working medical professionals. I’m sure you understand that I need assurance that you are indeed working at Regional General Hospital. Please give me a call at your convenience to discuss.”

Or similar. Thing is if someone really lowlife wanted to they could probably fake a contract so perhaps two things, a contract and a quick call to a supervisor. I’ve never worked in the field, you probably know better than most of us. LOL.

1 Like

I’d certainly need a name and work location in advance. I’d call to verify they’re really doing the job they say they are.
I know that many healthcare workers are having to stay away from their families… they’re staying in their basements, garages etc.
A lot of us already have rules in place which mesh well with the need for isolation. (For example: no extra guests allowed on the property.)
Seems like those of us who have rentals which are not shared space have a resource that could be really helpful during this time.
Does anyone know if my new heading “Open To Isolating Medical Staff Only At This Time” breaks any Airbnb rules?
Looks like I’ll have to turn off instant book so I can screen guests. The further I look at this, it seems like a rabbit hole of possible complications. Could my attempt at helping be seen as discriminatory by Airbnb?

2 Likes

@Pockethouse I can’t imagine Airbnb would call you to task for that wording as being discriminatory, especially if you change “at this time” to “during coronavirus safety protocols” or something like that.
But why not just contact Human Resources or the appropriate person at your local hospitals, ambulance services, home care nursing center, etc, and give them your info, rather than try to do this through Airbnb?

4 Likes

Why don’t you contact your local hospitals and see if they will put you on approved list of accommodation providers.

Then take direct bookings and make it a condition that it’s for health staff only and ID will need to be provided on booking and checked in person on arrival @Pockethouse

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts. As I’m looking at this, I see I need to really think it through before going live. My best bet may be to keep my regular listing as is, and to contact healthcare facilities to let them know I will offer a deep discount to medical workers.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about doing that with 90 day leases, but at 73 I wonder if I should. Upstairs is pretty well separated. If I do, I would want them to change clothes & shower at the hospital, and not wash any scrubs here.

1 Like

I can’t see why you couldn’t as long as you had someone else clean.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to ask someone not to shower when using your accommodation though @NordlingHouse

They are going to be using the bathroom anyway.

It’s a shared bath (although not shared with me).

What about the someone else who cleans?

I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that hosting anyone during the pandemic is viable or safe. Even if it’s a separate space, someone has to clean it. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for a housekeeper’s safety. Not one bit.

1 Like

So where are people who have to travel supposed to stay? In their car? Relieve themselves behind bushes?

1 Like

I honestly think that in their car is safer for all, including the traveler.

I know you mean well and I think we are 90% on the same page on the issue.

But I’ve known a lot of people who can’t sleep in the car, can’t fly, can’t pee behind bushes. I’m sure it doesn’t take much imagination for you to think of dozens of folks you know personally for whom that is not an option.

I know my life is not worth more than a hotel housekeeper’s. I’m completely confident in my ability to continue hosting taking the proper precautions and in the long run providing a vitally needed service. Sacrifice for the good of the commons has a lot of forms.

1 Like

I really don’t think so. “Career choice” is not a protected group. This is from the non-discrimination policy:

1 Like

Wonder how many people will be looking for an airbnb just to get away from their spouse after 10 days of no distance? :rofl: :laughing:

1 Like

Have you considered creating a directory for medical personnel? Perhaps Airbnb guests who have contracted the virus but are in a mild condition.

I think its admirable that you want to use your space to help others.

Just took an informal survey of my husband and two greyhounds. Unanimous for car-sleeping and bush-peeing. I recused myself.

4 Likes