Only women and couples and instant booking

My first thought on reading this: terrible hosting philosophy from the OP.
Sounds to me like she wants to have the cake and eat too in this sharing economy.

On second thought the problem is not so much different from all the other threads about guests not paying close attention to the listing and a host rather not host a particular guest.

Annet3176 pointed out the most obvious solution: just cancel the guest thus authorizing a full refund for the guest.
Benefit: end of all discussions with no-longer guests, open calendar, quick and easy
Stinger: no cake, your ranking will probably be affected.

And airhost51 makes that easy for you:

Note, that Airbnb isn’t taking any money from you airhost51 that you haven’t received yet. See how they are talking about “Missed Earnings” suddenly, not actual hard cold cash right out of your pocket today.

Another solution would be to ask the guest to cancel and explaining that you will then offer a refund, either full or less a low hassle fee.
Benefit: open calendar, just a few of discussions, your ranking should not be impacted or less, some cake
Stinger: more hassle, longer time with blocked dates, reducing chances of re-booking

In my opinion, airhost51, if you don’t sweeten the deal with a refund for the guest you are opening up yourself to pissed off lone male guests which will give you a 1 Star. Holding on to the money might be penny wise, but pound foolish as after a few of those 1 Stars you will no longer be hosting on Airbnb.

1 Like

Goidness me! It’s no cake to be a female in a world where we are frequently subject to male violence or abuse. The OP is merely trying to keep herself and her young child safe whilst hosting in her own home.

5 Likes

Jess1, it’s more referring to her “it’s not her problem” statement. She has a known problem and not using IB would fit her criteria best, but it does not work well in her last minute market.

OK. I do wish guests would read listings and rules. I also wish Airbnb wouldn’t penalise for not using IB. Sometimes it’s difficult to use the system in an ideal way. Using IB is always taking a chance.

So, just when we are looking at enforcing the rules … I read “*Remaining 2018 dates are available exclusively for folks that have the treehouse on their WISH LIST…” on a listing that I came across by chance.

But … they are not on IB and well, can afford too. They state they are "AIRBNB’S #1 "MOST WISHED-FOR LISTING WORLDWIDE!"

Clever SEO

Perhaps I should copy that first line. We are currently having a slump in reservations…

They do also mention that “We are honored to have been named Airbnb’s “#1 most wish-listed property in the world”!!! Thank you!”

But, I’m seriously off-topic on this one now.

As others have stated, stop using insta-book. You need to feel safe in your home, don’t get too hung up on superhost status. yea it has it’s benefits, but feeling your family is safe in your home is more valuable. Before I book a guest I ask them to read the entire listing ad. In your case explain to them how to cancel their booking. Also if you cancel a guest there is a drop down menu that you can tick “I don’t feel comfortable with this guest”. So far I have never lost SH due to a cancellation, call ABB and tell them you feel super nervous having men in your home. Tisheikate outlines it perfectly!
Good luck

Thank you all for responding to my question.

I have turned off instant booking. Haven’t had a single new booking since but i will give it a week or so to see what happens.

1 Like

I understand. For us the greatest risk is hosting nationals: Do you think AirBnB will allow me to refuse nationals? Don’t think so.

@airhost51 A single male can’t use your bathroom, but a male who is there with his girlfriend can. Looks like AirBnB was looking for a reason to allow you to discriminate. There is just no logic to it. What if another statistic shows that you are more at risk when hosting a certain group, will you also be allowed to discriminate.

I actually do kind of understand your worries, my question is more: Where do we draw the line?

I don’t know your context, perhaps you’re in an ethnic conflict or homophobic hate crime situation.
However sex is meant to be a protected category in the UK, and it’s still hard to maintain female spaces, even in changing rooms or sports.
It might sound confusing but I kinda get the couples or single females but no lone male thing. It’s like the male has been domesticated by their relationship lol. I wouldn’t do that myself, I would just do a simple female only. I have had very few bad males, though it’s scary if it happens.

I will NEVER use instant booking again. It is the root of most of my problems with guests. For a single woman its just plain dangerous not to know who will be staying in your place. Its like going on a blind date every time. Why does air bnb push it and punish us if we don’t use it.
Maurie
Does air bnb want more hosts? then take care of those that they already have. instant booking is about making money quickly not protecting hosts from unknown risks and negative interactions. Get rid of it.
would anyone be willing to list how they review questions so that guests are happy and we are happy.

1 Like

Because it’s the best way to quickly turn “lookers into bookers.” From the guest point of view I hate waiting for an answer and possibly being turned down. I search first for instant book and only use other hosts if there isn’t a good IB choice when and where I need it.

I also prefer it as a host and have had no problems over 4+ years and 500+ stays. About 2 years ago I put in a separate entrance and locked guests out of my part of the house but prior to that I had no problems.

With 1000s of hosts using IB without problems Airbnb isn’t really interested in catering to hosts who don’t like it. They want more hosts but not as badly as they want more bookings.

1 Like

where do you reside? it must be a different market

We are near NYC and Boston, in this market if a guest does not have experience with vacation rentals, esp guests over 50 yeasrs old will compare it to a hotel experience and a 4 star hotel, and they are picky demanding and complain.One such woman complained in her review that the sugar for the coffee was too hard, I sure would like to weed these guests out by reviewing their experience with air bnb. I love to host and take care of my guests ( i am a super host) but these picky guests create too much anxiety and I want to quit.

1 Like

And I had the pseudo hotel inspector who left me 2 stars regarding a leaf that blew in under a door! Blocked her from ever booking again as she has family in my area. The weeping and wailing was hilarious when she discovered that she could not book with me again. Especially when I have 20% of the entire house rentals in my area.

4 Likes

Wow. So glad we’ve never had anyone that nitpicky! That honestly sounds like a nightmare. Do you rent an entire place or private room?

I have 4 entire houses, 5 bed, 3 bed and a duplex with 2 beds each side.

This topic has been worrying me for a while. Although I agree with the ‘it’s your home, your rules’ thing I think it’s important to remember - and I’m saying this on behalf of all my single male friends and relatives - that single males are not necessarily a danger and to be feared by a single female host.

The supposed ‘dangers’ weren’t mentioned by the OP, just the fact that the bathroom is shared. (Not sure I fully understand that either but her home, her rules).

In the dark ages when I was a B & B landlady (in my own home) I had one double bedroom and three singles for guests. Many times, the double room was taken by a single male and the single rooms almost always were. I can count single female guests on the fingers of one hand. And note that I had a young child in the house too. I was never threatened or in danger.

I just worry in case we are likely to bring up a generation of children who we’ve taught to regard single men as some sort of threat. They aren’t.

2 Likes

complete apartment with kitchen, bath and 2 bedrooms. Younger guests are cool, over 50 is not. in my market they don’t understand vacation rental just hotels. I have been doing this for 3 months and am a super host and I am willing to wait for a good fit
If air bnb punishes me for not not using instant then I will try to find a service. like trip advisor that will. I don’t want or deserve the punishment of hyper nagging guests its not fun

1 Like