Ongoing issues with smokers

perfect.
copied.
will put that in my policies somewhere. excluding the ashtray part. we don’t allow smoking.
but otherwise nicely worded.

2 Likes

You can [try to] ban smokers. We do. Our title for the property ends with “for Non Smokers.”

Within our listing we say;

Please note this rental is only to non-smokers. Even you smoke outside the smoke clings to your body and clothes, tainting upholstery and bedding, necessitating costs to remove the smell. That isn’t fair to future guests looking for a non-smoking rental.

1 Like

well it did… now it probably says “house in anytown” Let’s hope this new wonderful change gets reverted soon.

3 Likes

I have no smoking anywhere on the property. The outside place to sit is on the porch so smoke would be coming in the house. Property drops off from porch to end of stairs about 20 feet and my garden is a garden and haven’t put any seats out there.

I don’t want to smell it.

1 Like

No its one massive family home…checked the last valuation (£2million) on Zoopla. I know checking the address wasn’t healthy!

I am nearly at that point…but I know from family and friends how very addictive it is, I still feel a bit sorry for them. Not for much longer though!

Thanks…have also had cigarette holes in a v good blanket, otherwise fantastic guests, the main guest a non smoker who was disgusted.
I think the reason I have more problems than most on this site us that it’s a whole house letting which attracts large groups, and although we are only minute away we can’t see the house from our flat so some groups are quite relaxed, let’s say, about the house rules

I had this problem - even with evidence of guests breaking the no smoking and no eating/food in the bedroom, ABB told me I couldn’t cancel without reprecussions.

Put a fine for littering in your HR, and enforce it.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion…I am considering what I should do. I think I will ask at first booking about any smokers and reiterate to the main guests that they are responsible for making sure they dispose of their cigarette properly

1 Like

I think you should say exactly what you want them to do, rather than ‘properly.’

3 Likes

House rule: No smoking anywhere on property by anyone in reservation or visiting.

After booking, send your house rules on message app and say "as a condition of your stay you have agreed to these house rules:

1. etc

If you cannot agree to these house rules, please immediately cancel"

1 Like

That’s my first message in a nutshell. It works, mostly. If ABB had our backs, it would really work.

You can keep it really simple by just not allowing smoking anything anywhere on the property. That’s what I did when my sister’s “non-smoking” tenant put out a cig in a dried out flower pot and burned her house down.

I had one guest whose local boyfriend was walking across the street to smoke, but I had no smokers as guests, so no worries.

I do…I absolutely spell it out, but thanks

Yes, I am now contacting all future bookings with a similar message. Good idea, thanks

I am certainly coming around to the idea of a total ban…

Thanks…I’m definitely tightening up my messages! If all smokers were as considerate as some of them there would never be any issue, many seemingly normal nice people really do have a blind spot about this

3 Likes

Might have to include something like this in my house rules. Probably going to add that failure to comply may result in additional fee or something along those lines. Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

If your problem is discarded butts not smoking per se, than provide receptacles, and get rid of things they use as receptacles but shouldn’t. I’m imagining that you have an attractive outdoor space with lots of potted plants… maybe put ashtrays next to the potted plants?

1 Like

Should have returned all the butts to them with the mixing bowl lid with a note. Figured since they weren’t in the recepticle that you were planning to keep them. Glad I could get them back to you!

6 Likes