One way the "double-blind" review process may be unfair to hosts

No, just as if I had no remotes I wouldn’t mention in the listing that there are no remotes and that light switches need to be accessed only by physically moving to the appropriate wall.

Of course, I see your point. It hasn’t (yet) come up as a problem.

Maybe we should set a house rule that would impose a fine (payable to other guests) for ‘losing the remote.’ Maybe one also for hogging the TV remote!

2 Likes

How does that old joke go about how many Airhosts does it take to change a lightbulb?

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

Four to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

Seven to say light bulbs don’t need to be changed.

Three more to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

Two to argue over whether it’s “lightbulb” or “light bulb” … another two to condemn those six as stupid.

Eight to claim experience in the lighting industry.

Four to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

Eleven to defend the posting to the group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this group.

Six post where to buy the best light bulbs.

One to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

Two to write to the moderator that they will no longer post because they are tired of they way people post about light bulbs

One to say “do an Airbnb help center search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs”

One to tell a funny story about their cat and a light bulb.

AND

One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

This joke is a variation of 100 internet forum jokes and it also works with or without batteries, unlike the remotes in our Airbnbs.

8 Likes

I haven’t seen a TV with any buttons on it in at least 10 or 15 years. All of ours have to have a remote to use them. Getting-off-your-ass has been made obsolete :wink:

Absolutely not. It has happened a few times but, fortunately, we were asked/informed for a new one and could provide it. If we weren’t on-site I’d just leave extras. Of course that doesn’t mean that the guest would look for them or would tell us that they needed one. That’s crappy that they did that to you. I’d be tempted to respond to that one: “so happy for you that you live in a world where lightbulbs never ever go out”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And we don’t change the batteries in the TV remotes preemptively. We stash some extra AAAs with the trash bags, ziplocs, etc. (no one has ever snatched them).

We only change the batteries on a schedule, before they stop working, in the smoke detectors (because crazy-wild-noise in the middle of the night) and in the keypad locks. The keypad locks are most important because you need tools and a diagram and a special code to change the batteries in them. A guest couldn’t do it on their own. Also, I’m sure they would be locked out at 2 am in the cold and not 2 pm on a perfect day.

I check the remotes as part of my cleaning to make sure the remotes work and that the batteries don’t need changing. Not only could they “die” or leak but they could also be removed by a guest to use in their own device whose batteries have died. This has never happened to me but other hosts warned about it long ago so I added it to my list. Also a remote can stop working even though the batteries are good.

2 Likes

We definitely check them to make sure that they’re working. We do it when we check the TV app services - that the right ones are logged-in and functional and also that no one logged in on the personal account and forgot to log out. But we don’t change them out on a schedule like the other batteries. We let them “die” first. I guess we’re flying high and loose, lol.

3 Likes

As can any device in this planned obsolescence world. My remote for my DVD player started going crazy- muting when I pressed play, rewinding when I pressed the volume button, etc. Put in new batteries, no change.

As it is quite humid where I live, I got the idea to put the remote in a tupperware container with a tight-fitting lid, with some moisture absorbing beads. Left it in there overnight and it worked perfectly the next day. Now I keep all my small electronics, extra batteries and so on in that container when they aren’t in use.

Yes, the most important thing is to keep the lock and smoke detector batteries fresh, and not wait for those to die. That’s what I thought we were discussing earlier where the impression I had was that all batteries were treated the same there. Our lock batteries tell us when they’re low; same with keypad.

In our house the remotes for the lights are important because it’s the only way to control the lights.

Our bulbs are all LEDs and it has been YEARS (more than five) since we’ve changed them.

1 Like

Ours will too but it seems like they don’t do the low-battery warning for very long (it’s on the lock not on an app, they aren’t wifi connected). We could miss it because we have 4 separate apartments in our house between tenants and guests so we’re not the only ones going in and out. Only once has someone told us that they heard the low battery warning so I can’t count on that. It just seems safer to change them routinely.

I get that. If our lights were on remotes I’d want to be on top of that too.

Ours are LEDs too and we don’t have as good of luck. I estimate that 1 of 10 is a dud and goes out within 6 months. Or maybe it’s me. But it’s not like I break watches when I wear them or anything :wink:

1 Like

Almost all my LED bulbs have been going strong for years. I just started replacing them as the old bulbs gave out, not all at once. I still have a couple incandescents in lights I seldom use. But I’ve definitely had a couple of LED duds. Like anything, some products can simply be defective.

Thank you! I was trying to find this the other day after I posted about what brand of countertop ice maker to get and got about 50 comments - but only two even attempted to answer my question.

1 Like

I love on Amazon when a question is asked about a product and about a dozen people answer the question with “I don’t know.”

[We don’t have that problem here.]

2 Likes

That’s because purchasers of the product get a mass emailing of the question, sort of a ‘help out a new purchaser’; then, those who do not understand what is happening (that their answer will be added to the ‘answers’ for that product) say stuff like ‘I dunno, I only have had it for a week’ etc.

Sure we do, people just use a lot more words.

6 Likes

No, but one thing a host can always do is write a response to a guest review. I had a guest say my wifi was too slow for zoom calls (untrue, I do zoom calls on the same wifi) so I wrote a response saying her laptop may have picked up a virus.

I believe every unfair, untrue, misleading or just-confused-about-something review warrants a response from the host. Otherwise, when I see a review like that as a guest without a host response, I take it to mean the host either doesn’t care (not good) or the report is true (probably not good).

1 Like

LOVE IT!!
As I am not up on these forums much, I have missed out on a lot!
Thanks for posting.

1 Like

They forgot to add in the people that reply “Don’t use light bulbs. You should put in skylights and candles instead”.

I was just reading another forum and someone asked about deciding between A and B as accommodations and asking about the road conditions to B. Someone replied “Stay at C - it’s perfect!”

4 Likes