One way the "double-blind" review process may be unfair to hosts

What the OP has said is that he “tests” the batteries with each turnover.

So if the battery is dead they replace it; if not, they apparently don’t. Unless they use a battery tester on each battery (we haven’t heard the OP’s response on that).

So it appears, based on what the OP has so far said, that they wait until the batteries die to replace them. The OP can certainly correct us on that. [If they do use a tester it didn’t seem to work well for the lock batteries this time. Measurement errors are ever present. What is the plan for that? Relying on the guest? Or something else?]

I agree with you and the OP that it would be nice if a guest would report in real time to the Host any issue that arises during their stay so that the Host would have the chance to correct it.

But guests do not always do that and nevertheless sometimes put that in their review. We don’t like it – I don’t like it – it strikes me as unfair and have said so earlier. But none of that really helps. The real message to Hosts is to do all they reasonably can to make sure devices are working – and seen to be working (i.e., adequate instructions).

For example, Hosts can change the batteries periodically AND leave a supply of batteries in the listing and disclose that. That is a fail-safe for that defective battery or other scenario you can imagine. It also helps the guest when the battery is discovered not to work at 11:30 pm, when a message to the Host will unlikely provide an immediate remedy. Of course, guests might pilfer the batteries, so there’s that – competing considerations.

I think many of us feel vulnerable that this or that device might fail at some point despite our diligence. We would hope that a guest can see and feel our goodwill and return it in common sense decency/fair play in letting us know of issues in the property in real time.

For whatever reason some guests will not do that. At that point I think we can just accept that this review will be an outlier and leave it at that if we’ve done all we can reasonably have done.

Here a few of us are challenging whether the OP has done everything he reasonably could have done.

AND, we’ve taken into account the context in which this guest has acted. The context which another member and I noticed was the signed check-out list, which we found off-putting. So much so that I could imagine a guest making noise in its review about things that but for springing that signing requirement might not have been made.

Of course, I don’t know that this guest was put off by that. Maybe it was something else that put off the guest. Or maybe the guest is a jerk. The fact that guests have not complained about the signing carries little weight to me because just as guests often don’t like to read they often don’t like to write. They aren’t compensated to critique what aspects of the Host’s conduct might have set them off.

I’m just providing a data point to this OP that I found off putting. That the OP had a defensive reaction to my comment and those of others, suggesting that they were invalid rather than a data point(s) to evaluate does not inspire confidence that the OP is truly considering what he can do to guest proof his listing; maybe he just wants to vent.

1 Like

yes.
I send 4 messages total to guests, and often they don’t reply to any of them. I have now started giving these guests 4* for communication because we’ve had this ambush thing happen a few times. The worst was a 3* review where she complained the TV didn’t work (it’s fine) but she didn’t contact us once, she also complained the weather was too cold for Spring and there was no heating (yes there is). I tried to have this review removed but of course, it’s allowed as it’s “their experience” even though I told the CS rep that the guest is supposed to contact the host first to resolve any issues. I knew it was a long shot… but it really peeves me still, months later. Another woman complained in the review there was no kitchen for cooking, even though the listing states clearly it’s a kitchenette, and still another complained about amenities we don’t offer but she wanted, but not once did she communicate with me about it. She also took the time in her private note to berate me for not having a washing machine! (our average stay is 1.8 nights)

actually, I make a plan for things like this. I change them on my MIL’s bday (Brenda’s Birthday is Battery day), a little alliteration helps :slight_smile: We also do Water Wednesday which is when houseplants are watered, if they need it.

4 Likes

Of course, it’s not okay for a guest to leave the door unlocked. I don’t believe anyone said that. I certainly didn’t. They should’ve reported that to you. It is similar to my example of definitely contacting a host to protect their property like for a broken water pipe. A door that doesn’t lock is the same.

It is a property safety issue and a guest behavior issue but it is not a review issue. The review is about their experience, not yours. I would hate it if that happened to one of my guests and they mentioned it in the review. It is exactly why we change the batteries in all of the locks and in all of the smoke detectors every 9 months.

We started doing that after a smoke detector began chirping over a guest’s bed at 2 am. She did not have to contact us because we live 2 floors up and heard it (that’s how obnoxious it is). She was nice enough and my husband talked with her about wine for an hour and a half (the next day, lol, not that night). There was no mention in the review. But we got lucky. I know that. And that’s with us being immediately available and on-site to give her some extra attention.

I wouldn’t like it if she mentioned it in the review but it certainly wouldn’t be unfair.

It most definitely disturbed her stay and it was 100% preventable. We should have changed the batteries sooner. Changing the batteries on a schedule and not when they die is solid advice that numerous very experienced hosts have given you. I hope you consider it even if you don’t take anything else from this discussion.

The guest review is about their experience. The only legitimate way to influence it is with providing an excellent stay while they are there. Some guests won’t care and will come up with weird complaints about shag carpet that isn’t even shag carpet but you have no control over that kind of thing. But you do have control over batteries dying during their stay or not. Personally, I just think it’s a better place to put energy.

And I’m sorry but wanting to change their communication rating because of something they say in a review rings of bribery and blackmail to me. Besides, the contacting the host about issues thing has to with refunds, not reviews.

2 Likes

We do too!! :blush: And taco Tuesday but I realize that’s different, haha.

I’m waiting for that one. I know it’s going to happen. Our studio is also only a kitchenette. I mention it in the listing in the things-to-know and in the photo captions multiple times. Sometimes I mention it when someone books. But it’s going to happen anyway :pensive:

I’m not sure what I’d say to that person if they did contact me. Ugh.

1 Like

Funny smoke alarm story (they are designed to be obnoxious)- I was staying at my daughter’s house this summer, and as they all get up fairly early and I don’t, I was sleeping with earplugs. One morning when I woke up around 9, and pulled out the earplugs, I was instantly bombarded with the smoke alarm in the room chirping like mad.

My son-in-law had apparently been running around the house an hour and a half previous, with a ladder, trying to figure out which alarm it was coming from, but they didn’t want to disturb me, plus they didn’t know I had earplugs in, and assumed that if it was coming from my room, I would have woken up, so everyone in the house had been subjected to that awful noise for all that time on an otherwise peaceful Sunday morning.

Guess we’ve hammered in the batteries issue. I hope you’ve heard us. It’s a big clue that so many of us agree on something :crazy_face:

So, um, yeah… there is no such policy that says a guest should contact the host about an issue before (or instead of) mentioning it in the review. It is only a host expectation/hope/wish/desire/presupposition/belief/conjecture/notion/rumor/desire…

The policy that seems to have gotten mucked up here pertains to refunds. It’s a policy about contacting Airbnb for a full or partial refund and/or canceling during the stay. It doesn’t have anything to do with reviews. @HostAirbnbVRBO posted a screenshot above from an article that is titled “If something goes wrong during your stay”. I’ll post the rest of the page that shows the remainder of the text below.

It’s a nice idea. I totally get the attraction. It’s just not policy. We could all decide that it’s an unofficial community policy and place those expectations on guests (well, if not for the very real review extortion policy :wink:) However, because it’s not policy guests won’t (and don’t) have that information. They really don’t have any way of knowing about this expectation. If you’re not a host then it’s just not a thing.

It’s also not obvious, even to me as a host, as to why an issue necessarily shouldn’t be mentioned in a review even if it’s reported and then subsequently resolved. Again, I get why you like the idea. I kinda like it too because I imagine I could benefit from it.

But again, guests have no reason to know that there’s an expectation that they shouldn’t mention something in a review that was resolved by the host. I’m not convinced that it’s a fair expectation even though we would all like to benefit from it. It could certainly preclude an honest review. And if there’s anything hosts like to stand up for it’s for leaving an honest review.

To me, if a guest reports an issue (or doesn’t report it for that matter) and doesn’t mention it in the review then it’s like a bonus or an extra-life. It’s like when they take the trash out to the bins even though I don’t request it. Except of course that it sucks a whole lot more when they mention an issue in a review :unamused:

Here’s the link:

Here’s another one:

are you aware there’s a glitch currently that if you check “kitchenette” it later converts to “kitchen”. I’ve had to turn them all off and mention it in my listing. And yes, that woman who complained, we offered her the use of our main house kitchen (which is connected to the guest suite via an internal locked door, she accepted, so we cleaned up, then at the last minute she cancelled and they went out. and still she complained in the review about it! I was pretty peeved and wrote a snarky response, but then my daughter said it was too strong so I had CS remove it.

1 Like

ah yes, this is true, but I was trying my luck with the CS staff… :crazy_face: a 4* review because the numpty didn’t read the description nor having functioning eyeballs is just not cool. But it happens, and I know, people read between the lines and realise guests are idiots too, but it’s the 4* that hurts. She can say what she likes, but don’t mark me down for something I didn’t do wrong!

1 Like

I didn’t know about the glitch, thank you for mentioning it but I’m not able to choose kitchenette anyway. I can choose it for the photos but it doesn’t show up anywhere else on my listing. Do you have a Plus listing? I’ve seen it on plus listings.

I was addressing the OP with his insistence that his guests are doing something against some kind of rule and should lose stars for it, not that. I don’t blame you for trying whatever you can to get that review removed. It should be easier to get a BS one like that removed. I wish they would have a more reasonable outlook on the 5-point scale. It’s basically a Likert. We shouldn’t have to keep such a high rating. It’s not, you know, mathematical, lol. I’m sorry you got those duds. Maybe they’ll keep similar ones away.

When my guests check in, I send them a welcome message that says:
Welcome to 16 Slayton Road’s Airbnb Guest Suite:

We just wanted to check in and make sure that everything was as you expected when you arrive today.

If you have any concerns, please message us via AirBnB message system so that we can address any issues that might arise during your stay.

Pleasant dreams and enjoy your stay.

Only about 50 percent reply to this message but I do this more for a backup for Airbnb should the guest complain about something that I could have fixed.

I also have in my house rules the following rule:

1. Per Airbnb rules, if there is a problem or issue with your accommodations, please contact us immediately via the Airbnb website messaging or phone app to so that we can rectify the issue. In most cases, Airbnb allows a host 24 hours to rectify a problem but we need to be informed via the Airbnb Messaging system so that are aware of the issue. Notifying us or Airbnb after you have checked out denies us the opportunity to fix the problem and will not result in a refund.

Again, I don’t really expect that my guest read my house rules but I do this also for Airbnb. If a guest complains about something that could have been easily fixed and tries to get compensation I can point to Airbnb that not only didn’t they tell me there was an issue, I sent an inquiry when they first checked in and had it in my rules.

I haven’t had any complaints since I set this up but it’s also possible that I have become a better host and really make sure the suite is in tip-top shape which includes changing the batteries to the doors, checking lights and even having spares in the suite itself.

1 Like

It’s a new amenity, they only added it in the last month.

yes, because the woman who mentioned we didn’t have a TV (correct) or a washing machine (correct) also mentioned that “the property is pet friendly so people with allergies should consider that”. She didn’t have pets, there are no pets in the cottage with her, and I presume she doesn’t have allergies, but she felt the need to be a helpful Karen and point this out for others?! I didn’t mind, because if it keeps the allergy people away (I’m sympathetic, I have such people in my family too, but I generally find those types to be less easy-going and less desirable guests) then she’s doing me a favour with her silly review. Still, 4* because “maybe other random future strangers might have allergies” is just bonkers.

3 Likes

I tell prospective guests if they ask about a negative review, that I’m a real host with real reviews. You can’t always please everyone. Most get the point. If they don’t then I’m better off not hosting them.

4 Likes

Do you change your light bulbs before they burn out? We received a four-star review once and one of the issues was that the bulb in one lamp in the living room was burned out. Bulbs burn out without notice, and it was working when the house was cleaned.

1 Like

I don’t change light bulbs before they burn out.

But I do change batteries before they die. I think the batteries dying are a much bigger inconvenience when they are in remote controls.

2 Likes

Because? Usually things like entertainment equipment can be used without the remote, by people getting up off their ass and pushing the buttons on the device. Like everyone did before the days of remotes.

Well, most of our lights are via remote controls.

1 Like

You mean there are no light switches?

In our main living area there are no light switches. Remotes are also used for ceiling fans, and of course one for entertainment (TV).

2 Likes

Do you mention no light switches or fan controls absent using remotes in your listing info? I would be highly annoyed if I were a guest to have to hunt around for a remote, which someone else in my group might have set down anywhere, in order to turn a light on or off.

We get a different version of that Karen but we’ve gotten her quite a bit. Our Karen stays on the 1st floor so she never ever uses the stairs to the second floor. But she insists on including a warning about the “whatever-something-dramatic stairs” in her review. They curve a bit but they aren’t particularly steep. They aren’t crazy Dutch stairs or anything, just run-of-the-mill 1900 New England stairs. But a certain amount of people, who only see but don’t use the stairs, have to warn others that “may not be up to it”. But not a peep from the 150+ groups that have stayed on the 2nd floor :rofl:

I checked last night when you mentioned it but will continue checking back on it. I’d love to have the kitchenette amenity option! Well, as long as it doesn’t change to “kitchen”.

1 Like