One important note on female products

Oh my yes. Just wait…you’ll see what I mean in due time.

I spent a summer in Cuernavaca years ago. Lovely little hilly town not far from Mexico City. Sigh. I’d love to go back and see it again.

1 Like

Um, I flush and no feces is not as tempting to dogs as menstrual blood. Organs and blood are the most nutrient rich meat which makes them incredibly tempting to dogs. Feces is not at all nutritious. We have a local butcher who makes frozen dog food out of the organs that their customers don’t usually buy (liver, lungs, heart, etc.). My dogs can barely contain themselves from snatching the cubes out of my hand.

1 Like

This is aimed mostly at women and children as men don’t seem to have these issues :smile:

From our welcome sheet:

The toilet is on a septic system and only three things may be flushed.

3. Toilet Paper

Anything else flushed down will cause major damage/backup into the bathroom. Please no baby wipes/wet-ones, dental floss, Q-tips, plastics, other personal hygiene items. Please dispose of these items in the trash cans.

Additional trash bags are located under the bathroom sink.

We also have a friendly sign above the toilet.

It’s odd because I see a lot of dogs run to the nearest pile of poo in the park and roll/ eat it. I’ve always wondered why they do it. In fact, theres so many threads about how to stop your dog eating poop on the internet I thought it was an issue! (and also threads on how to bath your dog in ketchup so you can remove the poop smell). I don’t think poop is nutritious…I was however under the impression it can be very attractive to dogs. there’s quite a few threads where dogs have eaten diapers for example.

I’m not a dog owner thankfully, but I’m glad there are solutions like pedal bins with tight lids for those of you who are.

1 Like

Yes, dogs roll in feces. In their minds it disguises their smell so that predators can’t find them. Some dogs are poo eaters, but not all. Every single dog will be driven crazy with the temptation of such nutrient rich food as blood and offal. Bathing dogs in ketchup is usually recommended for when your dog has been sprayed by a skunk.

It doesn’t HAVE to have a lid - we women have learned how to wrap that crap in toilet paper…same as you would dispose of anything gross from dead bugs to condom…but yeah, that’s definitely a luxury upgrade for guests.

@EllenN - I accept that some dogs will find waste products attractive (whatever they may be). I do not accept that the solution to this is to put that item in my pocket (be it used tissue paper, female products or baby diapers) and take it to a public bin. The onus is therefore on the dog owner to find a solution where I can safely dispose of waste material, not on me to roam the streets with said item in my pocket.

I’m happy for any host to outline their requirements for disposal of these items, as long as they’re reasonable.

1 Like

@dcmooney has children. Those of us with children and/or pets find that it’s easier to have lidded trash cans than to clean up the results of children/pets exploring the contents.

I guess you missed where I said that a trash can with a lid works as long as it’s a tight fitting lid. I don’t know what you mean by a “public bin”. In Los Angeles, we put our trash in large plastic bins that are supplied by the city. We keep them in our driveway so nobody has to “roam the streets” to find them. I think that if guests produce smelly waste or a large volume of waste, the onus is on them to take them out to the outside bin. I understand that you disagree with me.

No I didn’t miss it EllenN - I said earlier I was glad that was a solution for those with pets. I was referring to the other thread so apologies for conflating those two and not making it clear that I was addressing some of what you said and some of what was previously said. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to be clear, I understand dogs like waste material, but I still need to put it in the bin, so a solution needs to be found (because I’m not going to roam the streets with it as suggested previously). A bin with a lid is a good solution in most cases :slight_smile:

Actually, as I’m typing one of my dogs is attempting to put his nose under the lid of the pedal bin to open it. Why are you so adverse to taking your trash outside?

I find that expectation bizarre, sorry. I see no reason I should put waste items in my pocket and look for a public bin to dispose them in because my host owns a dog/ has children. Further, I suspect most guests, if they found a host expected them to do this would find it entirely unreasonable.

Anyway off to enjoy some Mexican sun, will be interesting to see how the discussion develops.

I have no idea why you are fixated on putting waste in your pocket. You can put smelly and/or pest attracting waste in the trash can then remove the liner and take it out to the can that the city picks up. I don’t understand why you think that it’s reasonable to expect your hosts to take out your smelly and/or pest attracting waste, but you shouldn’t have to do so. Also, I don’t know why you would need to look for what you call a public bin. Our trash cans are in our driveway and pretty obvious. Also, most of our guests are able to ask where things are.

Also, I do believe that one needs to modify one’s behavior depending on the local culture and the hosts’ circumstances. For example, if I was staying with a host who had children I would modify my usual extremely salty language. I cover my shoulders when I go in to churches in Europe because that is the cultural norm.

My 247 positive reviews and my Superhost status lead me to believe that my guests perceive me as reasonable.

2 Likes

Take some pics and post here.

Of Mexico, not the tampons wrapped up in your pocket, LOL. :smiley:

6 Likes

They have 220 million or more olfactory receptors, compared to only 5 million for humans. So 40x times + the smelling power of humans.

EllenN is hip with the dog culture. They do indeed do strange things. BTW, another thing they gravitate to while on the subject, as strange as it sounds - antifreeze. It is sweet to them, can smell it a mile away and destroys their kidney if licked; irreversible.

As a side ‘funny’ story: I run my dogs on the beach, here comes a couple jogging, she is on that time of the month, my dogs (hunting Setters which have an extremely-high olfactory factor) lift their heads and ZOOM toward her and try to stick their snout in her private part. So embarrassing. Its the animal world.

Well they can be excused Because they aren’t orange presidents who boast about doing the same thing. :smiley:

1 Like

Hahahaha. Reminds of the song - ‘You Ain’t Nothing but a Hound Dog’? :grin:

1 Like

Um, I flush dental floss. Is that a bad idea for some reason? Please explain. Thanks.

We have them in Long Beach on all the main streets.