One for US hosts with Ring cameras

I remember reading about this a while back, but as it doesn’t affect us directly I forgot about it. Seems like the deadline for opting out is 8th June.

But the company’s plans have caused alarm among observers. Ashkan Soltani, a former chief technology officer of the US Federal Trade Commission, told the tech site Ars Technica: “In addition to capturing everyone’s shopping habits (from amazon.com) and their internet activity (as AWS is one of the most dominant web hosting services) … now they are also effectively becoming a global ISP with a flick of a switch, all without even having to lay a single foot of fiber”. The feature may also break the terms and conditions of users’ internet connections, which do not allow such resharing, warned Lydia Leong, an analyst at Gartner.

I would not willingly share my home internet connection with anyone. Our apartments are on a completely different network to ours. I think the above (highlighted) point is also valid.

JF

Which is why if I find smart speakers in a place I rent, they get unplugged immediately.

The idea of turning everyone’s doorbells into a mesh network that can track what I buy and where I buy it is truly disturbing, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bezos himself thought about how he could gain entry into every home to track personal data when his folks first presented the Ring to him. He’s that evil.

Mostly already being done: buyer loyalty cards, membership stores (Sams, Costco, Bjs), credit & debit card purchases, specialty credit cards, any internet based purchase, & more.

This just makes it easier to compile & evaluate the data.

If someone wants to compile data of how often I buy Red bag chicken and analyze my buying habits, it’s already possible

Also alexa devices… The thing is you have to opt out as opposed to opt in . BS
I opted out, but I should not have had to. I doubt this is even legal, at least it should not be.

RR

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. We are “this close” to buying a camera solution.
Ring was a top contender and is now OFF our List.

1 Like

I opted out in the Alexa app on my phone and on my laptop, too, and I doubt it’s legal AT ALL to just share a network because “Bezos said so.”

1 Like