OMG Airbnb have changed strict cancellation policy guests get full refund if cancel 30 days or more before

@azreala has actually used the extenuating circumstances policy as a guest and she confirms that evidence must be submitted. As a long time host with 3 properties who has been an active and informed host who has attended Airbnb Open events one would think if anyone would get special treatment it would be her.

According to Airbnb extenuating circumstances they have to provide proof ie death certificate, doctors certificate etc but how they strongly they enforce this…

1 Like

Hi Helsi, sorry that I missed this yesterday. No, the policy hasn’t changed down in the depths of Kent. Perhaps that’s a yet.

Wow this a crazy. I will contact them and see what is happening.

It seems unfair to have different policies in different parts of the country.

Bonkers. They do really seem to be mucking about with their systems, and quite irrationally so.

Am very unhappy about this. Our property is in Grenada. We have a short high season January to April. Those are the months that we get the majority of our bookings. We do not get many bookings for the remainder of the year.

I can’t find any evidence of this in the US at all. No announcements and is not showing on my account, did you get an email @helsi?

Us Australians never seem to plan anything more than 2 weeks in advance so it probably doesn’t ever occur :slight_smile:

Yes where the concept of “booking” really means “I will stop anybody else from booking and then decide 2 weeks before whether it fits in with my plans/mood/budget and then cancel”.

Is this something different? To get a 100% refund for cancellations less than 30 days in advance (as opposed to 7 days on “strict”) they have “super strict 30” but say it is “by invitation only”.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/home/cancellation_policies#super-strict-30

hi Kona

No it was posted by another UK host on another forum.

1 Like

Is this the same as what they did in Italy and now they are beta testing in the UK?

Who is going to be surprised if Airbnb adopts a 100% instant book, flexible refunds for everyone policy or adopt it or you go to the bottom of search?

4 Likes

I think we are all going to have some kind of big announcement issue forth from on high (aka the infinite time horizon) on February 22…

Big announcements from Air usually don’t benefit hosts much…

4 Likes

I think the Italian testing was this in addition to charging hosts more depending on which cancellation policy they chose. I think 3,4 or 5%. So the host paid more for a policy that protected them less. :frowning:

1 Like

hi i am in spain and : Strict
Cancel up to 7 days before check in and get a 50% refund (minus service fees). Cancel within 7 days of your trip and the reservation is non-refundable. Service fees are refunded when cancellation happens before check in and within 48 hours of booking.

Thankfully flexible works very well for me. I’m lucky that most of Airbnb’s policies don’t impact me negatively.

Even if this new cancellation policy happens, I don’t think it would impact me that much either. Most people coming to Hawaii plan ahead and want to secure their accommodations well in advance.

1 Like

Perhaps better for you to post about this separate issue on a new thread @justMandi rather than confusing this thread by people discussing both issues.

2 Likes

Of course!

But before I create a new post, I’d like to wait until Mr. Chesky’s sermon on the 22nd. From all indications there are a lot of changes coming that will affect both the business, and our role as hosts.

Cheers!

1 Like

I am thinking big announcements from Air hardly ever benefit hosts.
Last Big announcement they had was the Experiences, so maybe this time it will be Air Air (New airlines they have been rumored to want to start)

Hey…great name thought of by me…I will take my millions in creative fees now. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes