Older Guests. What Am I missing?

Minor point possibly and stated semi tongue in cheek, but more mature individuals do not appreciate being referred to as OLD (my dad told me that).

As much as you used it in your message (nine times) perhaps it slipped out when your ancient guests were present.

As @KenH mentioned earlier, the issues you mentioned are not age specific.

4 Likes

Free wine

Poor quality free wine

:slight_smile:

The age range of our guests has been from eighteen to eighty. We donā€™t do anything different for any guest, what is in the listing is what they get.

We are a city centre location and at weekends (and sometimes midweek!) the street can be a bit lively. The only guest who has mentioned anything about ā€œnoiseā€ was in her early twenties. She didnā€™t follow advice about closing shutters etc.

We also get lots of guests in the fifty to seventy age range, so far no-one has needed their ā€œhands heldā€.

As previously mentioned, I think your problem is a guest (or listing?) issue, not an age issue.

JF

8 Likes

Older people in my experience tend to adapt well to home sharing. And they conserve resources. I donā€™t remember them being particularly demanding, but we have fixes for most.

The 25-40 set are more wasteful of resources because when they were young it wasnā€™t an issue. The under 25 guys can have attitudes, too. I would say most of my problems come from this demographic. But I have been proven wrong!

I was cheering for the younglings protesting! Peaceful resistance. Wish I could have been there.

2 Likes

My favorite thing about old guests (I donā€™t get or agree with the posters who have a problem with the word old) is that they get up and check out early!

6 Likes

This is so true! Iā€™d much rather I have no wine, than see a bottle of Cupcake or Barefoot on the counter. If youā€™re going to offer the cheap stuff, at least make an effort to get a brand that isnā€™t readily identifiable as such!

Or make it really obvious! Like 3 buck chuck. LOL.

The wine provided at the luxury home in Boston was Italian white or Italian red. It was purchased by the case and Iā€™d never heard of it. It was $10 honor system and not very good but it was convenient and cheaper than the not very good stuff available within walking distance. So Iā€™d rather it be provided than not. No one should feel offended at the offering. If itā€™s not up to your level, donā€™t drink it.

2 Likes

Yep! I offered 4 ways to make coffeeā€¦Keurig, French press, pour over carafe, and stove top espresso makerā€¦and my older guests still wanted a drip coffee maker!

I happened to have one left from elderly relativeā€™s visits at my home and so I took it over. Older people have been making coffee the same way since the 1970s (?) when drip coffee makers replaced electric percolators. They donā€™t want to have to figure out these newfangled ways to make coffee before theyā€™ve had their coffee! :laughing:

1 Like

I havenā€™t hosted many older guests. Only once was the booking guest a person that I would guess was over 60 but just barely. There have been 3 times where guests brought their parents and one was the mother of the 60-year-old guest. The only time there was an issue was with the mother of the 60-year-old. She was probably early to mid 80ā€™s as you can imagine. She needed to sleep sitting up and she asked if there was a recliner chair. Her family was a bit upset that she hadnā€™t told anybody about her sleeping requirements. I donā€™t have such a chair, so I just helped the best I could to provide extra pillows and blankets to make her comfortable on the sofa sectional. This was also one of the ~15% of guests that didnā€™t leave a review.

As an ā€œoldā€ person (old enough to be collecting social security if I wanted) one thing I find true is that comfort is more important (and harder to achieve) than it used to be. I have more aches and pains so a really comfortable bed and sleeping environment (cool, dark, and quiet) and at least one comfortable chair (that I can get out of without assistance) are truly necessary.

Iā€™m not offended, itā€™s just sometimes it is incongruous with the accommodations.

Now, if a bottle of wine is shown in the listing photos, and there isnā€™t one provided, I find that annoyingā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m liking your thinking. The world revolves around wine :wine_glass:

Our little city is fueled by wine, allegedly since 1100B.C. I live in it, ergo so am I.

Isnā€™t life simple.

JF

3 Likes

I guess it depends where they are from. In America, if Iā€™m right, the time in which someone of 65 was born was a period of comparative wealth in the USA? Even in England, being brought up in the sixties meant that the frugal wartime days were gone and there was a new affluence. (Those sixties didnā€™t swing without money :slight_smile: )

I think for some people though, they have the same feeling as Prince Charles when he said, some years ago, ā€œI donā€™t want to be confronted by my future grandchild and them say ā€˜Why didnā€™t you do something?ā€™ā€

I know that I feel a responsibility to leave the planet in better shape for my grandchildren.

2 Likes

Probably depends on how they were raised and SEO rather than geography. My parents were children in the Great Depression and young adults during WWII rationing. So my mom rinsed plastic bags and reused them. Bags from the grocery were saved and reused. Plastic margarine tubs, glass jars, all washed and re-used. Things were bought in bulk because they were cheaper. So I do the same though many people my age donā€™t, seemingly because they had younger parents.

Sadly that ship sailed a few decades ago.

I think youā€™re right. But I also believe that a lot of grandparents feel more responsibility than the younger generations. It might just be me (of course!) but the younger ones seem to expect someone else to do something about it rather than making small changes themselves.

My parents were probably much the same age as yours and lived through the privations of WW2 and its immediate aftermath (evidently some items were still rationed in the year I was born) and my mum was a genius at using up every drop of everything. For instance, the water from washing the dishes then washed the kitchen floor and then watered the vegetables growing in the gardenā€¦

3 Likes

This! When the younger ones check in I can be reasonably certain they wonā€™t leave until checkout, and may try to push it 15 minutes or so.

2 Likes

Another SQUIRREL moment

A surprising number of guests need (not just want) a recliner.

Some Guests with respiratory problems (e.g. COPD, sleep apnea), back problems, vascular problems that cause feet & legs to swell, and insomnia prefer/need a recliner.

My 1BR condo is small so a traditional size recliner will take the entire room. I found this one. Cheap. Comfortable. Small. Store pick up in two boxes that fit easily in my midsize SUV. Easy ā€œsome assembly requiredā€. Downside: it is cheap so after 5 years of heavy use, the finish is starting to break down. It is cheap so easily replaced.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Push-Back-Home-Theater-Recliner-in-Faux-Leather-Multiple-Colors/21367275

1 Like

@KenH Like you, Iā€™ve been in the tech game sinceā€¦ wellā€¦ we wonā€™t go there, but I can guarantee it was the mid '80s when I started in the software biz. And I ā€œgetā€ the star system as well. Anyone whoā€™s used Yelp or Amazon or eBay ā€œgetsā€ the ratings system. But some need to be reminded itā€™s public.

@NE10 Kudos to you for wanting to make guest experiences across all age groups the best you can offer. BUT you seem to be writing in haste - and reading these posts the same way. Many people have been at the ā€œinternet gameā€ long, long before your parents even met and we still ā€œkeep upā€ because we can.

So, hereā€™s the thing - ANY guest appreciates: a warm and welcoming host, a clean home/guest quarters, quiet at night (unless youā€™re in a big City, then you should know better), a comfortable bed, bright lights for reading, fast wi-fi, a SmartTV, nightlights to get to the loo in the middle of the night, dresser and closet space (clean), some fridge space (clean), and if new to Air an explanation at the end of the stay about the ratings system. I installed a keypad system - myself. If yours is confusing (not sure what this even means), then take extra time in your welcome message and guest book to explain it - with illustrations. Add extra outdoor lights. Nothing creeps me out more than walking up to a dark front door.

As a 61 year old woman who often travels solo (often backpacking), I want a nice, clean, private area and someplace to drink my wine at the end of a day. Thatā€™s more important than loading up your place with ā€œstuff.ā€

Soā€¦ am I the ā€œoldā€ demographic? :wink:

6 Likes

I also find that younger guests are very conscientious about recycling and using less. Guests over 65 are def. not as compliant with these items.

1 Like

And we have found the complete opposite.

2 Likes

So have I. The younger ones never seem to care, but the older ones do.

3 Likes