Ok what gives? Guests had FIVE 5-Star reviews but they certainly were at the

You aren’t prohibiting discrimination based on age or familial status? I think you mean that you don’t discriminate based on those things?

Everyone should do whatever they like, but it is not against the nondiscrimination policy. I feel like I’ve explained this at least 100 times and still someone says “it’s discriminatory” but it’s not. Well of course it’s discriminatory but it’s not against the policy if it’s not illegal and it typically is not illegal for most hosts. All hosts discriminate. I bet you generally refuse the guests that don’t want to pay.

This blows my mind because all of our guests under 25 have been exceptional guests and all of our awful guests have been 65+. Different markets I guess.

Like any stereotype it doesn’t make sense applied to individual guests. It doesn’t even make sense from his own little sample:

So two similar groups at the same time, both groups of 3 couples in the same age range but this host decides the smart thing is to discriminate against all guests below the age of 30.

That’s great news for some other hosts in the area.

3 Likes

It doesn’t need to be interpreted. It is either prohibited by law or it isn’t. All of the laws everywhere (in the US anyway) are easily accessible. Though I will say that some states make their statutes easier to read than others, I’m looking at you Delaware, lol (I had to help someone there recently).

Infants and children do not stay in my house unless they are 10 years old and I have every right to make that rule, even by the fair housing laws.

It’s not necessarily a case of discrimination, as I said above. Put simply, if 15% of Airbnb guests are under 30, then I want my listings to be available to all of them not just the 85% over 30. One of those reasons is that I’ve never had a problem with younger guests.

I think it’s necessary to point out to potential and new hosts reading this forum that over 30s aren’t necessarily going to be better guests than those under that age.

1 Like

Yes. I repeatedly say exactly this. In fact, I just said in the post directly above this. You are preaching to the friggin choir.

But there is no reason to tell people that it is against Airbnb policy.

Welcome back, @JJD! Hopefully the bday trip was awesome (was that this past week :thinking:). Anyhow - thanks for the concrete example. You think host math works this way???

1 Like

Thank you!

Ugh. It was awesome in so many ways but I’m struggling with not being able to give the host 5-stars :grimacing:

If only, lol.

@jaquo
I think a lot has to do with our local demographics and “social norms” and… Covid! And - just to clarify - I am not saying all 20 -30 year olds are in the same bucket but that seems to be the age group we are attracting and when more than 6 of them gather (in our experience) – it has never resulted in a positive outcome.

@jaquo @JJD
Thank you both for your insight!
Agreed! – we don’t want to turn ANY guest away … we just want a fair chance to “vet” them. It only makes the experience better for them as well as us. We should have a ZOOM interview with each of them… KIDDING!! – Not kidding…lol
And… as I said above… It was an ABB CS that suggested we state the age limit in our HR — and as many of you say “my house - my rules”.

One tactic would be to impress upon the booker that they will be held responsible for the behavior of the entire group.

1 Like

@muddy
oh believe me – we have said that as well. We all know that sometimes your friends are going to do things you don’t expect them to do ---- … s o m e t i m e s. Hope is not a strategy.

1 Like

YOU GO, GIRL!

2 Likes

I only allow Guests 25 years of age or older. I specifically state that in my House Rules and clearly, Airbnb allows this, as they recently supported me in a cancellation of a Guest who lied about her age and the two Guests she was with, after she verified that she had read and understood all of the House Rules (I ask Guests to confirm and agree to the House Rules before they book, after they book, and remind them again before they check-in). If they violate the rules, you not only can get the reservation cancelled, but you don’t even have to refund them. I just had another Guest today who agreed that she had read and understood all of the House Rules and when I asked her to be prepared to provide her COVID-19 vaccination card upon checking-in, she stated that she did not have a card because she was not vaccinated. Seriously? It is my FIRST House Rule. I am not sympathetic to Guests that think they can get away with lying to a Host. I am in a shared home with these Guests and my safety and comfort is more important and not refunding them anything teaches these Guests to reconsider lying to a Host.

2 Likes

mmm, i recently had a guest who was ok, BUT she wasn’t tidy, and asked me if she could have late check out, then asked for another night, I said fine, and she had another friend turn up that afternoon (I’ll admit we did think she was doing tinder hook ups). Anyway, she left @5pm, no communication about not making the booking for another night, and had managed to use every one of our 8 glasses, and 6 items of crockery in the 1bedroom cottage. So I left her 2-3 stars and it didn’t leave a dent in her 5-star rating. Clearly there are different rules for guests.

1 Like

How many reviews did she have? More reviews means each rating has less weight.
The rating is an average and the stars icon doesn’t reflect that. Here’s a recent guest I had: looks like 5 stars but click on it and it says 4.5. He had 4.5 when he booked with me and my 5 star review didn’t change his average either so it goes both ways.

stars

1 Like

she only has 2 reviews.

1 Like