Ok people - declines are being counted!

Hi I am a new host. Only 6 months. I have called Airbnb and asked about requests to book that are not appropriate or not honest. They said if I don’t approve or decline, it counts against me.

I have noticed that airbnb retaliates if you decline too often by blocking your dates or dropping you down in search position.

The general feeling is that a local would only rent your place to do something they can’t or won’t do in their own place. A one-night-stand might be one (if you care), but some others include throwing a wild party or doing something illegal.

I’m not sure what “general feeling” means. Some members here have no problem renting to locals. I’ve had no problems. I did cancel on a “local” whose credit card didn’t go through. Something else people should be aware of…the town listed on the profile is not always where the guest lives currently. In fact a substantial number of the guests I’ve spoken with are not living in the town listed on their profile. So if someone from Dallas who moved to El Paso books my place there is a good chance it still says Dallas on their profile.

The key is that people who need this information need to have a conversation with the prospective guest and work it out on their own. Airbnb has no magic method for determining a person’s current residence.

3 Likes

I mean the general feeling among hosts that say “don’t rent to locals”. I am still undecided, but I can see the potential problem since 100% of my reservation requests from locals turned out to be third-party bookings.

1 Like

You have 24 hours to respond…your message to them is a response…I am not negative, I just expain why not.

Depending on how soon I get the inquiry lets me know how long I need to wait before accepting ordeclining.

Let it expire…you have answered in a timely manner…the ball was in her court.

This actually makes sense. I have locals do some pretty crappy things in my Airbnb.

In a perfect world, I’d be happy to take some locals on a case by case basis, after confirming their story. Home renovations come to mind.

But because the declines are counted against us, I wish there were a way to prevent them from requesting to book as a general rule.

This is what I have, OPP?Basic Req.

No idea what it means!

Hi all
Noob here, only been with Air for 3 months but going very well. I accept IB , just wondering why there are some hosts here who don’t? Would love to get your feedback on this.

1 Like

Hi @Shelleymuz,

I’m not sure why you are asking me - I’m hardly an expert on this. But since you are asking, IB means you are basically agreeing to allow anyone into your place, no questions asked. Depending on your location and price settings this may be fine, but some people (like myself) are extremely uncomfortable with this. And in my case, the place happens to be my home. And even if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t be happy about this. This is just another case of Airbnb trying to treat hosts as though it is a hotel. A hotel takes anyone, but that’s because they are set up differently, and (probably) have the resources/connections to deal with trouble if it shows up. A single person like myself is really not. It’s also worth noting that Airbnb, which is pressuring the hosts into doing this, takes zero responsibility if something goes wrong. If there are damages, they may pay for something. But that doesn’t cover every eventuality. What about psychic scars incurred from an abusive guest, for example?

1 Like

Just because they don’t ask a question doesn’t mean you have to decline. You can respond by asking THEM a question. Tasks complete.

1 Like

He probably wasn’t allowed to IB because of the one thumbs down. Is that how you have your IB requirements set?

No, I only require Govt ID

1 Like

Hello
I am weighing in on the decline policy a serious safety issue.

We are all here to make money , but I host large groups in a house on the river with firepits. I need to decline some people who cannot be responsible or indicate they will be throwing parties.

Is there a way to get permissioin to decline withu riskina suspension?

With IB on, you can decline 3 reservations per year penalty-free.