Ok people - declines are being counted!

I don’t know how to quote our conversation, but what I meant about how I’m going to start getting guests I can’t accommodate (i.e., I often get requests where the dates in question have already booked.) I’m going to start asking them to Cancel their requests, instead of my having to Decline them. That should help my ratio, right???

Thanks for all your helpful feedback and info, everybody! I’m not a newb, but we all have questions that we’re embarrassed to ask at times. I’ve had my cabins 4 years, and been doing Airbnb the last 2-2.5 years. I grossed $250k last year. Now just hoping to cut back in my expenses somehow too. Thanks again!!! Your help and advice is most sincerely appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Laura K.

2 Likes

@MountainGirl -
If you are getting requests for dates that are already booked, then they can only be an inquiry - unless you are not keeping your AirBnB calendar up to date with booked dates. We get most of our business from HomeAway/VRBO, so I am religious about blocking the AirBnB calendar immediately when we get a booking from HA/VRBO.

I didn’t think that they could even inquire on blocked dates. Are they using unblocked dates to inquire and then requesting different ones in their message?

1 Like

Yes, it’s happens when they request or inquire using a date they’re not truly interested in as a way to make contact with me. Then they’ll say they couldn’t book the dates they wanted (I’m like “um yeah, there’s a reason why you can’t” lolol). I just don’t want my requests accepted % to take a ding because of dummies like that.

1 Like

I wonder if my Acceptance Rate is so low because up until recently, I’d decline the guests’ original reservation request, if they had a dog. Then, send a Special Offer that includes the pet fee(s). So I think that’s why. Now I just “Alter Reservation” to add the pet fees. Think that may be why??? I’m a wonderful host. I wish there was a thread where I could show y’all my properties to get feedback! :slight_smile: Thank you for your response, K9!

If they only inquire - don’t let AirBnB push you into pre-approving or declining them. Just respond quickly. You don’t really have anything to decline.

If they submit a request to book they have to set up payment, so I’m hoping very few people actually do that just to ask for different dates.

I get a lot of the same “Would you accept a shorter stay than your minimum for a booking 9 months in advance?”. Ummm, no. I just say so and don’t pre-approve or decline. My metrics don’t seem to be negatively impacted by those.

3 Likes

There’s this one:

Also you can make your own thread with links to your listings. Many members are happy to see other’s listings and critique and praise them.

1 Like

the way i go around this is instead of declining and getting penalized, i sent a special offer and multiply the price by 5 or any ridiculously high price

2 Likes

If the guest receives a thumbs-down from a host, doesn’t that prevent them from using IB? If it does, then his only options are to send an inquiry or request, he can’t IB anymore… at least for a while.

Where do you find this information? Is it on the site, or did they email it to you?

It was in my stats, I believe…while urging me to lower prices, it gave me the comparison of both % pricing and booking with neighboring properties.

If a host has the option to only take guests with recommendations maybe but not if they don’t have that on. I’ve had guests who IB’d and it appears they may have gotten a thumbs down but I have no way of knowing. What I do know is I’ve had people book with bad written reviews. I’ve given thumbs down and seen reviews after mine (maybe due to the time lag between my review posting and their other reservations.) I’m a big fan of honest reviews but I’ve come to believe they are much less powerful than I thought they were.

What was your % of Accepted Reservations and how’d they suggest you improve it? I’m at around 70-73% on my 3 properties and that number is in red. But I get so many damn discount seekers and I’m sick of them. Airbnb should encourage guests to practice a little etiquette, and they may very well increase bookings! I mean, this isn’t the eBay of Vacation Homes, for crying out loud! We need to be able to report cheapskates, as lacking respect for Hosts & Guests is not cool and makes Airbnb worse. Plus, I’m not letting some discount-seeking weirdo stay in my vacation homes!!!

1 Like

Yes, many people use unbooked dates in the future, in order to inquire about other, booked dates.

Also, I had one woman today (Sunday, June 24th, 2018). Unfortunately, I couldn’t find anyone to clean for me today, so I was unable to accommodate her, sadly. She was pretty upset in general (she fighting having a fight and even said she’d “clean it up” if I’d let her

I told her she shouldn’t of driven up here before she made a reservation (which, it turns out, I couldn’t host her, as all my housekeepers are busy today). I offered to help her find another cabin, but she decided to go back home before I could help more.

Anyway, the Reservation Request she sent expires in 8 hours. I sent her a message sweetly asking if she’ll cancel the reservation request, but I kinda doubt she’ll cancel, unless she’s an early riser. My only options are Accept, Decline or let it Expire. What would y’all do to minimize the damage to your Airbnb rankings, etc??? Thanks!

Cheers,
MountainGirl

Terrifyingly huge special offer!

1 Like

I’m a bit confused with/by this. If you were full, she shouldn’t have been able to book in the first place. Are you relying on your housekeepers to tell you if you are fully booked, not your calendar?

Please read my last post. It’ll explain the two different situations much better than I can.

@MountainGirl -
If someone is using an unbooked date to inquire about a booked date, you probably only have an inquiry. You do NOT need to “Pre-approve or Decline” this no matter how much AirBnB flashes those buttons in front of you. You only need to reply in order to keep your response rate up. And if you are getting lots and lots of inquiries on already booked dates, your price is probably too low.

1 Like

This has probably been answered but I can’t find it…are all declines being counted equally?
ie “Not a good fit” …the guest who want to rent the entire house even though it is stated that we live here and just rent out rooms.
Or “Uncomfortable with guest”…the guy who wanted to rent the room just for three hours for a hook-up.:roll_eyes:
Or “Dates not available”…family staying and forgot to block the dates :frowning_face:

I don’t think Airbnb distinguishes among the reasons. They counted all my declines even if the reason was valid. Now I ask the guest to withdraw their request so I don’t have to decline.

Soooo Confusing. I have IB turned on, but had an “Inquiry” today asking a legit question about the space. I replied in exactly 9 minutes. Clock still ticking. Checked a few hours later, 24 hour clock still ticking down, so I get paranoid and Pre-approve the guest, even though the space was not going to work for her. I feel so silly…What am I missing here?