OK people - Chinese guests

Guests are always met. My homes are older properties that are furnished with antiques. Walk thru is always done. These are new to Airbnb and they really don’t just get it. They nod and tell me they understand but my beautiful homes look like tips and the lack of basic care and consideration just astounds me.
Yes I am now gun shy of new Asian guests, I didn’t want to assume - but 3 in a row leaving disgusting mess and no understanding of basic living skills in a house, it isn’t right.

3 Likes

You’re almost using the race card here. If I had my wallet stolen in the same pub three times, I’d probably avoid that pub.
She’s had her placed treated badly 3 times, and no matter what lovely anecdotes we can share, if she has more Chinese guests and they trash her home for a forth time, she’s going to feel a bit foolish.
She’s obviously badly affected by it, and probably whilst venting, was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

I had to stop hosting at one location because 4 football fans were a bit rowdy, after their team was thrashed. I know a lot of people can follow football AND be respectful of property, but if I get a whiff of footy fans trying to book now…

6 Likes

Did you tell them not to? My dog is cleaner than me and sleeps on the pillow right bedside me every night, with his teddy, tucked into the blankets. Quite normal for lap :dog: in my country.

2 Likes

Stereotyping any individual based on the behavior of someone else in that group is wrong. If a Chinese family trashed her place and the SAME CHINESE FAMILY booked again and trashed her place again and she said I WILL NEVER RENT TO THAT CHINESE FAMILY AGAIN, I would support her with her decision.

If she posted “I’ve had four white families in a row from the Gold Coast trash my place and I wonder how to deal with this” it’s hard to imagine anyone suggesting that race should be considered in evaluating future inquires.

4 Likes

Ok
Experiment
I have another new to Airbnb, Chinese group in next weekend.
I will make clear my expectations on how the house is to be left.
I will come back with the results.
I am not racist at all, I do not discriminate.
This was my experience that I am sharing!

6 Likes

My thinking all along hence my comment about the damage being to your mind. Totally understandable all things considered. I think your effort to carry on despite the easy out of simply refusing Chinese guests is admirable.

2 Likes

I’m completely with K9 here on the discrimination issue BUT there’s no getting away from the fact that hosts have been consistently complaining about Chinese guests for a long time now. There have been many articles on the issue on social media and the news. The Chinese government ended up giving “civilised behaviour guidelines” to tourists travelling abroad. That was four years ago already, though, and was more about spitting in the street and pushing people out of the way in queues. How to behave in hotels and rented accommodation probably didn’t feature.

I’ve hosted loads of Chinese guests and 99% of them have been just great. But they are a completely different demographic - young students on a budget, highly educated and respectful. My fave guests, actually. Not saying that being educated guarantees being a good clean guest, though - most disgusting guest ever had a PhD (presumably in ‘How ignoring basic hygiene is ok’).

I really hate to say this but money talks and so does being super hard-nosed. Your best bet is to say that there will be an extra (large) charge if additional cleaning is required.

8 Likes

I sleep with one of my dogs. When I stay in hotels that permit dogs, my dogs sleep in the bed with me. If I stayed in an Airbnb that permitted dogs, I wouldn’t know that dogs weren’t permitted on the bed unless I was told.

3 Likes

Didn’t think I’d have to say it. I don’t want dogs on the beds at all. Lots of hair, nails scratching, tearing bedding. Dog was between the sheets, covered in dog hair, when I traveled with my dogs, they weren’t allowed on the beds by me out of courtesy to the host.
If someone wants dog to sleep with them, then I’m going to get out my older, clean and intact bedding.

1 Like

We are talking about a big dog who spent the day in and out of the river, messing about in the woods.

Appreciate that may have been your experience but I think you do need to say it explicitly. My dog is spotless, no fleas and gets his paws wiped when he comes inside, he has about 6 teeth, doesn’t even eat dog treats let alone furniture or bedding and never shedded one hair. Dogs either have hair or fur, dogs with hair get groomed as it grows like a human and dogs with fur shed.

2 Likes

Your house, your rules. However, discriminating against guests on the basis of ethnicity portrays you in a dim light as a host and will result in you being de-listed by Airbnb.

looking very carefully at my posts…WHERE did I discriminate?

2 Likes

I’m sure you didn’t, this thread did the ‘internet thing’ and snowballed.
You were simply put off Chinese guests due to three consecutive bad experiences. Illuminates the way things are these days.
In fact, it’s difficult to support you, in case I come across as a racist! I’ve backspaced over 4 sentences, just to be on the safe side! It’s very good of you to try one more booking from China, I’m sure you’ll be alright.

The thread started off with you as a victim, but it soon turned into a positive discrimination exercise.

I used to take in foreign students, and I had so many bad experiences with young men from a certain part of the world, that I had to refuse to take them any more. It was such a different culture, that it made the whole experience slightly unpleasant. Does that make me racist?

5 Likes

I see both sides of the dog on the bed concern. My pups (yorkie & a schnorkie) have hair requiring a hair cut every 4-6 weeks so they don’t shed like a dog with fur. They are in-door dogs that go out for walks but don’t lay in the grass & dirt. They sleep on my bed, couch, recliner, pretty much any cushy surface.

HOWEVER I have friends with larger dogs that shed. Fur everywhere. My black cotton jeans looked like angora pants after I sat on their couch.

Oh well. We love our pets.

is

6 Likes

I am running out of cultures that I haven’t hosted, including several Chinese. My current guest is here for 4 months.

One host on these forums, who accommodated a lot of Chinese, had her house manual and rules professionally translated, presumably both in Mandarin and Cantonese. She said that things went very well after that.

Perhaps something got lost in translation? :wink:

1 Like

I too have had basic information and house rules translated. However I didn’t do this until my last two sets of Chinese speaking guests.

A couple of these guests who booked, said they had booked with me because of my good reviews from other Chinese guests, so perhaps I am creating a bit of a niche of positively welcoming Chinese speaking guests :slight_smile:

@Debthecat I do hope your next visit with your Chinese guests goes well.

2 Likes

I agree with the suggestions to have your house rules translated into Chinese. As someone who was born in China but educated in the U.S. at UC Berkeley, I will tell you many mainland Chinese will be too proud to tell you that the English translation is not sufficient (don’t rely on that automated Airbnb assist). If you really want to make sure they get all the instructions, and you value their business, it is worth translating into Chinese text proper.

2 Likes

Actually I am a Chinese host and I share very similar sentiments as OP.

Our Chinese guests who had longer than 4-day stays tend to be messier. I think Chinese tends to treat Airbnb just like a hotel and they will use your bath towels as bathroom floor mats 9 times out of 10. You’ll just have to lower your expectations when you host Chinese guests, or you clearly lay out your expectations before you confirm the booking with them.

However, one ethnic group of guests I had trouble with is Vietnamese guests. I have been hosting for about 5 months and had about 5 different groups of vietnamese guests. They are all very clean but 4 out of 5 of groups would complain about something very minute and are very self entitled. This goes as far as providing free grounded coffee beans for guest use and the guest would take the entire brand new coffee bag in their 2-night stay! (Plus there was no evidence of the coffee machine being used - it was completely dry)

Having hosting Chinese & Vietnamese guests, I know how to lower expectations but I am always extra cautious when I host Vietnamese guests (as I don’t discriminate bookings)

2 Likes

This is a very timely thread, as I just had a Chinese-Canadian couple with a serious entitlement mentality check out. It is not racist to say that Chinese culture (both mainland and Hong Kong) is different than that in Canada/USA or Europe. You just have to be very clear about setting expectations, and establish early on that you are not their personal servant or housekeeper. Don’t assume they know how you expect them to behave!

2 Likes