Oh dear. Should I have sent this email to a guest?

I think sometimes people think we hosts are really dumb, Ive been at university for 20 years, you get much less for murder in Australia, and I can assure you the university did not change to program and location (from Melbourne’s largest teaching hospital) with 2 days notice when the guests are coming from Germany, no chance. Its kind of insulting to be lied to. I have used Airbnb many times as a guest, before I became a host and they warn you multiple times before you pay to confirm you have read House rules, agree to terms and conditions, understand the hosts cancellation policy etc etc. I also find it insulting as I had an Airbnb in Paris booked for a week in November for my son, almost the same as mine costs for a whole month, and when my father was killed in a car accident we were going to cancel but my son ended up going for the last few days and I didn’t even think of asking for a refund. This is an extenuating circumstance but its my circumstance, not the hosts, why should he suffer financially, thats what travel insurance is for, I don’t think refunds should be given for such reasons unless they are months in advance and Airbnb should be getting proof not just relying on guests who lie. I know they do as I have had several guests that have told me they done exactly that and were never asked for proof. Again, this is what travel insurance is for and trust me they ask for verifiable proof.

Yes I agree, not saying your is, but you might stay somewhere that is a crap location, Ive stayed in many, but you do as it cheap or close to the airport or has free parking or whatever so cant then rate it 1 as its not Park Ave when you didn’t book Park Ave. My place is on the intersection of 2 main roads and I warn ppl its noisy, Ive lived in the inner city my whole life but it still bothers me sometimes but ppl book here as I have a massive room with 2 beds, opposite the bus and trams to the city and close to shops/cafes etc but if you want quiet and peaceful you will be disappointed but that doesn’t mean I should get a 1star as you booked the wrong location for your needs. Not that this has happened so far thank goodness.

I did have a host in Paris send me a walking guide, map and detailed history of his area once on the email which I printed before I left, perhaps you could email your map and guide in PDF to the guest when they book like he did?

Emily, so sorry for the sudden loss of your father.

Thanks DC appreciate that. I can assure you when ppl have a genuine emergency like that the LAST thing we are thinking of is demanding a refund from our host!

1 Like