Oddest Request: Turning Off WiFi at Night

Exactly. It’s not a reasonable request. They can chose to turn off their wifi/ mobile connection and have a good night’s sleep. Regarding the EM waves, that’s hard to tackle as we are surrounded by routers and modems.

Strange request though!

As I’ve said, I do consider psychosomatic conditions to be real medical conditions. I’m saying this as someone who gets physically ill when someone sits down next to me on the bus who is wearing perfume or who has just smoked a cigarette.

I really have an issue with you trying to term my allergies as a psychosomatic condition. If I am exposed to certain scents and chemicals my body over produces mucus and closes my airways. If I’m exposed to other chemicals in foods I develop severe rashes.

1 Like

OMG. I googled “WiFi and sleeping” for fun and all the top hits talk about the importance of turning off WiFi before you go to bed. Makes it sound like your guest is onto something. Not sure what to do about all my neighbors that have WiFi waves invading my home though. I’m going to have to go talk to them (this part is sarcasm… I’m not actually going to talk to my neighbors about turning off their Wifi).

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, turning your wifi off wont make much difference. Just check how many networks are visible when you go to wifi settings on any device.

Now, where’s the tinfoil…

JF

1 Like

I actually had a guest not long ago who requested that I remove any lightbulbs that were not incandescent. Luckily, there were only a couple of them. Another guest wouldn’t use the Keurig machine for coffee and asked me to brew her a pot of coffee. I think she believed that the Keurig machine coffee would taste like instant.

On both of these occasions, I did the necessary deeds to please the guests.

I think every single light in my Airbnb room is LED except maybe the one inside the microwave. I’d have to ask that guest to cancel and I’d refund them. But I would also review warning other hosts.

1 Like

Were they pleased (5-star review)?

1 Like

I know you were probably being sarcastic (!) but actually I’ve often wondered why Airbnb don’t expand their search criteria a bit. Of course it’s impossible to guarantee a complete “allergen free” listing but it would be nice if there were more options in the search. Personally, I would choose somewhere that doesn’t use fabric conditioner on their linens because it makes me feel sick and hard to breathe… but I realise that’s a bit too specific…!

1 Like

I’d just tell them, no. No explanation necessary. Unfortunately people like this, that make such unusual requests are usually the same ones who leave bad reviews over things that don’t really matter i.e. frying pan not big enough, couch color clashed with curtains, etc. Yes…I’ve had these reviews lol.

1 Like

Scammers don’t just operate online, but in your vacation rental house too. … By turning off the WIFI in your vacation rental , they can automatically claim compensation from Airbnb. To avoid this technique, it’s best to keep the router out of your guest’s sight so it won’t be touched or moved by anyone

1 Like

This is my answer too. I have a dedicated guest username/password on my router that is the one they use; I’d just disable it.