Oddest Request: Turning Off WiFi at Night

Had a similar issue with a guest that was sleeping in the living room, where the modem was located. Every night he would turn off the modem and drive the other guests nuts and caused many complaints. This was a 3 month booking. In the end there was a compromise. I had to locate the modem in the kitchen in a closed cupboard. Was glad to see the end of that particular booking

Please donā€™t dismiss allergies so dismissively! I can tell you from my experience, which you would NOT want to undergo, that having a scent allergy is not only physical, it can be life threatening. Thatā€™s why I carry an EpiPen. Some odors and many other allergens can shut down my airway.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard of this. Itā€™s not related to their phones but from the wi fi itself. Who the heck knows what we donā€™t know about technology. I have a security system and cameras on my wifi so it would be a no for me but If you donā€™t need them then I donā€™t see the issue.

1 Like

Multiple chemical sensitivity is not an allergy.

Those who have physical allergies to things like peanuts or oranges can have an anaphylactic reaction just by being in the room with the item. And in this case you are wise to carry an EpiPen.

MCS is an ā€œallergyā€ to chemicals. In blind clinical studies, those with MCS have reacted just as strongly to the placebo. MCS is a real condition, but it is psychological in nature. That is, the person gets sick if they think there are chemicals present.

The WHO article linked about grouped MCS with electromagnetic hypersensitivity as psychological in origin.

Of course I do think psychological conditions are real. I get a headache from the smell of perfume and cigarette smoke on clothing.

1 Like

The guests checked out this morning, and I found 1/2 inch of ice frozen in the bottom of the freezer. Normally I would think they just left the freezer door open, but I wonder if these guests in particular turned off the fridge and freezer at night!

1 Like

Thatā€™s odd. Iā€™m always amazed at how guests can take an ordinary household item and not know how to use it or manage it. Iā€™m just baffled. What do you do at home? Either not have a freezer or you turn it off every night?

2 Likes

Here is the draft of my review of my guest. Too much detail? Iā€™m saving it to post at the end of the review window so I have two weeks before this goes live.

I hosted GUEST in my CITY home for 2 nights. He left the space clean and followed house rules. I especially appreciated that he took care to sort the recycling and compost, as is custom in CITY. Communication was prompt after check-in, but could be improved prior to arrival. Upon booking, GUEST emphasized that he needed an early check-in if at all possible. I hurried to get the room ready to accommodate this request, but GUEST did not respond to any messages and ended up showing up several hours later. I was not able to accomodate his request to turn off wifi at night. The freezer seemed to have been unplugged or left open, as there was a layer of ice on the bottom of the freezer that had to be defrosted.

Probably too long, I know. I left out that I came home to find him ringing my doorbell (showed up randomly and didnā€™t read the self-check-in instructions) and left out that the freezer incident wrecked the bamboo/charcoal deodorizer that was in the freezer ($5 to replace; cost of doing business). I also didnā€™t mention that he brought me flowers (picked from the neighborhood).

Hosts: is this enough information? Too much? I write these reviews to help you all so Iā€™d appreciate feedback. Iā€™m planning on giving him the thumbs down because I would not him host again. None of these offenses is bad on its own, but I usually give a thumbs down if a guest reaches the level of doing three moderately annoying things. What bugs me might not bug you, but x3 we have more odds of having annoyances line up and I can no longer recommend the guest.

3 Likes

If you cannot recommend than say it,

I cannot recommend X, X asked for early check in then showed up late without communicating, he/she asked me to turn off my wifi for unknown reasons and turned off the freezer creating a mess.

Thumbs down

I donā€™t care about what he did right.

RR

5 Likes

It tells me everything I need to know.

Excellent, gives a fair and detailed picture. Maybe some small edits for length & to bring forward the negatives, as well as to largely sweat out the personal pronoun ā€œIā€:

During GUESTā€™S two-night visit, he largely left the space clean and followed house rules, although there seems to have been a mishap with the freezer in his room. A layer of ice on the bottom of the freezer had to be defrosted, as a result of unplugging it or leaving the door open. He took care to sort the recycling and compost. Communication was prompt during the visit, but uneven before arrival. GUEST requested an early check-in, so I rushed to prepare the room. Then GUEST went incommunicado and showed up several hours later. For reasons unknown, GUEST asked for the wifi to be turned off at night, which was not possible given the needs of others in my listing.

Personally, I never put ā€œI cannot recommend this guestā€ to other hosts, for two reasons:

• My personal recommendation is neither here nor there. I am just giving the facts of what happened, others can draw their own conclusions.
  • If the facts are sufficiently negative, itā€™s kind of belaboring the point to say ā€œI cannot recommend this guestā€ after youā€™ve noted whatever the issues were. Other hosts are already running for the hills if a guest has been annoying/dangerous/careless/negligent.
2 Likes

My own approach to reviews has become something similar. I can describe my experience and let the hosts decide how to proceed. Thatā€™s why Iā€™d leave some of the positives in if there are any. Unfortunately I believe most hosts donā€™t bother to read reviews, but I write them for you all, those who do!

1 Like

I once drank so much coffee one morning, that I could see wifi

7 Likes

I think it was your neighborā€™s Wifi GutHend. :joy:

obviously i have a different viewpoint. I will not have wifi in my house and never have a cell phone on in my room at night. i do teach alternative health and do healing work. There is much information on the health consequances of wif if you are interested.

2 Likes

I have already read it, but thanks @Mark_Ludeman

Decline!Decline!Decline!

Weird questions like this most often come from demanding high maintenance guests.

With the best of luck you all that happens is that your will find all your furniture rearranged because they found that your setup was not Feng Shui.

But most probably you will get a endless stream in requests and stupid demands and ending up with a bad rating.

I would be great if in the future there were enough Airbnb listings that people could always find an Airbnb that had what they needed without imposing on others. So people with scent sensitivity could stay in scent free homes instead of inconveniencing others for $50 a night. People with beliefs about feng shui and electromagnetic waves could share homes not demands.

4 Likes

These guests came and went. They havenā€™t reviewed me yet but they did rearrange some of the furniture. Iā€™d have declined if this request came before theyā€™d booked.

A friend of mine advertises her home as scent-free. If only those guests would book her instead of me!

1 Like

:joy:

These guests are so predictableā€¦

Unfortunately AirBnB has not ā€œThese guests will be a pain in the ****ā€ option when declining.

2 Likes

As a person who suffers from many chemical allergies (which could fall under the umbrella of MCS) I am considered to have a disability by the US government. I have been tested by a special chemical allergist and have had direct multiple reactions to specific chemicals and fragrances. I do understand you are saying sensitive vs allergies but you do people like us a great dishonor.

1 Like