NYT 12/13/22 Article on Airbnb Discrimination Against Blacks: Black Travelers Say Home-Share Hosts Discriminate, and a New Airbnb Report Agrees

I knew my DNA would have Spanish DNA because my ancestors moved to Puerto Rico when it was a Spanish colony. I also expected Native American because of the Tainos in Puerto Rico. I expected African but not North African. I thought it would be West African.

I think it’s wonderful that you gained a sister. DNA testing has reunited so many siblings. My coworker was adopted and with DNA testing she discovered two brothers and was able to meet them as well as her biological father. She was so happy.

2 Likes

Look, I know the popular thing is to be appalled by this. But as an Air BNB host, I’m new to it and have had about 30 guests. My rating is almost superhost. I’ve had 6 black guests, with the rest being mostly white, some Hispanic and one asian person. My rating with the black guests is dramatically lower. I just got a 4 star today from a black guy who said my listing wasn’t accurate because the driveway wasn’t good for low cars (it’s the same driveway as everyone else’s). He also said I had no ironing board (I do, it’s in the closet, and he never asked) and said it sucked that I had no full body mirror, even though THERE WAS NONE ADVERTISED. To this day, I have not yet received a 5 star from a black guest. It’s always “dusty” or “it’s good… for the price”. As a host, I flat out won’t accept a black guest anymore. Sorry, it’s the way it is. I gave them every benefit of the doubt and today was the last straw. It’s a very entitled community that’s used to being able to play the race card when they don’t get what they want, thinking that my large 3 bedroom place for a 60 dollar cleaning fee and 59 a night should be held to the standard of the Ritz Carrollton. They don’t care. This guy also had a barbecue and my place reeked of burgers, onions and garlic, and they left behind boxes of food, didn’t take the trash out, and hair was everywhere in the tub. They are messier, more demanding, and leave bad reviews, I even gave one a cleaning fee refund because she saw a dorito crumb on the floor and I knew how entitled black people are at my place. Still 4 stars. You can be PC all you want, but as a host, sometimes I wonder if they review me poorly because I’m white. When you see a pattern like that, you’re an idiot to keep doing it just to not be racist. Air BNB can suspend you if you get too many 3 or 4 stars., Sorry, that’s the way of the world. Stop acting like stereotypes and you won’t get stereotyped against.

I discriminate against them. Sorry, I care about my ratings. I’ve had 6, and no 5 stars from any of them. They’re racist too. They see I’m a white host and find something wrong with it every time. All 6 of them have been messy with the exception of 1. I even gave one of them a refund of $100 for cleaning because she freaked out when she saw a dorito crumb on the floor. She still gave me 4 stars. I flat out won’t accept a black name anymore. It’s not because I don’t like black people, it’s because I know the pattern and they’re entitled and racist against whites, and will find a reason to give you a bad rating because they don’t like white people. Tough shit. Don’t act like idiots and you won’t be discriminated against. I just got tired of it.