Now working on my House Rules. Need help from the crew

I don’t think a book is an effective tool to help people following your rules. Nobody will open the manners book. You should pick the 2 or 3 things that are common mistakes and generally remind people not to make them. Put this info into a compliment as it works as a suggestions for the guests in a positive way. I think suggestions should go along with showing your place. You can say, “All my guests are awesome and I never really ask but everyone has been doing their dishes and I think it’s really a kind of them” If you want to write it down and you actually care that people follow your rules make them clear and pleasant. write on paper “helpful info” write down your phone number, wifi password, perhaps a restaurant suggestion and house rules. 1. Wash dishes after you cook. 2. Shoes off in the house. 3. No smoking. I think it’s ok to give a short list of rules. People will read them and follow them. It’s definitely not ok to give a long list of suggestions. I say this because when entering a new place there is a lot of learning going on. If you give someone 10 things to remember then they just forget 1/2 of them and the half just confuses them. Just give basic info and basic rules.

I supply towelling shower mitts. Unfortunately the last guests used the mitts to apply fake tan lotion and then left horrendous stains on my pristine white Egyptian cotton sheets. You cannot win, people just do not think.

My only advice is to be careful to not seem over the top with Rules. Some guests might pass over your booking, or might even get offended during their stay and leave you less stars, if your rules make them feel unwelcome.

My first experience at booking an ABB last weekend was an eye opener. Some people’s House Rules were so militant that I told myself never in a million years would I stay there.

2 Likes

Shower mitts??? Wow! Could you get the stains out of everything? Also, they didn’t give it a second thought about the outcome of their actions. Meh. They’re on vacation and it’s just what people do.

What I hate is when they use spray on oils or lotions.

The unfortunate thing is shower mitts look like tanning mitts.

Here’s a tanning mitt:

Here’s a shower mitt:

So… it’s a reasonable mistake. Personally I wouldn’t expect to be provided anything to be used to clean intimate areas. I guess the guest figured the same !

Right. THis is a tricky business, because there are certain things that are non-negotiables (like no smoking, kids dogs, parties) and you want to make them clearly understood without sounding overbearing or uptight. I frame mine int he positive. For example…

While the house is non-smoking, we have a garden in the back where you can smoke to your heart’s content (ironic)

and

While we love children, our home is not a safe and suitable environment for them. Therefore, all guests should be at least 18 years old.

4 Likes

Jeez the exfoliator thing looks menacing.

1 Like

Oh Jack, why mince words?

NO screaming kids.
NO smoking
NO …whatever

:wink:

2 Likes

Jack is a man after my own heart! :heart_eyes:

LOL. Well, yes of course. That’s what I mean. I just make sure to frame things in the positive, because saying ‘no this…no that…no the other…’ can be off putting to guests.

1 Like

I was being silly. I’ve pared down my rules to a minimum because people are more likely to read them, and I tried to not use NO in them.

“Enjoy your snacks and drinks at the kitchen table or on the breezy deck rather than in bed”.

2 Likes

I happily use No. I don’t want people thinking my house rules are a suggestion instead of a rule.

2 Likes

I’ve been a guest twice recently. I find that I prefer very direct and idiot-proof house rules, and wasn’t offended by a list of “Nos.” I wanted to get back my security deposit, and get a good guest review!

Here are the house rules on my listing:

• No smoking
  • Not suitable for pets
  • No parties or events
  • Check in time is flexible
  • No shoes (if you require indoor footwear, please bring slippers)
  • No scented detergents, and no dryer sheets
  • No campfires (by city ordinance)
  • For fire safety, no candles and please use provided timer sockets for your hair styling tools

And here’s the more robust version I put in my house manual:

House Rules – Important for Getting Your Security Deposit Back!
• No smoking anywhere on the property, including the yard and patio.
• No pets.
• Unregistered overnight guests will result in an increased nightly rate of $25 per person per night.
• No parties or events. A few daytime visitors are okay; however, at no time should the total number of people on the property be more than 12.
• Remove shoes at the door.
• Use coasters under beverages, especially in the living rooms and bedrooms.
• Moving furniture: lift it (don’t drag it) and never place it directly on wood floors – use a rug. There are extra rugs available in laundry and master bath.
• Whitening toothpaste, skin products containing benzoyl peroxide, and make-up will ruin towels – please use disposable make-up wipes and small white washcloths (both are provided with the other small toiletries on the bathroom counter).
• Non-stick cookware – handwash only, and don’t use metal utensils
• Ceramic cooktop – don’t slide pots/pans around (lift pot/pan to transfer to another burner)
• No scented detergents, and no dryer sheets. You can bring your preferred unscented detergent, or use the Tide Free & Gentle detergent that we provide.
• No campfires (by city ordinance).
• No candles, and please use provided timer sockets for your hair styling tools.

And in case anyone is interested, these are the timer sockets (they shut off after 30 minutes): http://a.co/ghkkYJE
I use one for my own flat iron, so I don’t have that panicked feeling as I’m pulling out of the driveway, trying to remember if I turned it off or not!

1 Like

I started out casual with rules (treat my home as if it were your own, etc.), but after reading sad host stories (some of your all’s included!) about Airbnb interactions, I switched to including a formal contract in my listing, with cites to my county’s regulation on short term stays, and lots o’ rules.
This was to protect me and my ability to get people to leave without being penalized if needed. I utilized a template from http://www.shakelaw.com/blog/airbnb-guest-agreement/ They have been pretty cool about not bothering me to sign up for their paid service.
I haven’t noticed any guests being concerned about the rules (although I wouldn’t know if it made them not book in the first place, would I?!).
One of the earliest Airbnbs I booked as guest had a VERY intimidating contract in the listing. Initially I was put off, but on further thought I decided it was reassuring, as in this guy is responsible, treats the Airbnb gig professionally, and basically has his act together. His smoke detector probably works, his locks probably really lock the doors, etc. I was not disappointed.

2 Likes

I appreciate your precision, but I would be scared to stay in your place with rules stated this way. It just feels to me as a guest like you’re looking for a reason to charge against the security deposit.

2 Likes

I’ll let you know if I ever have difficulty filling up my openings. For now I’m 100% booked.

2 Likes

It appears that @arialvetica [clever name by the way] only rents for a few days [per year? per month?]

Plus, she can’t charge the deposit for most of those things.

I would just eliminate the “few extra” guests in the daytime are okay. People will interpret guests and daytime their own way. Just no extra guests. No benefit to you, only a liability.

I try hard to make the main house rules short and reasonable. I put additional things in the guest info doc. When they check in I briefly remind them of the main ones.

I know. It’s just the way it’s worded and presented, I wouldn’t necessarily feel welcome. It’s probably just me.

1 Like

It’s not just you. I wouldn’t book here. I don’t like feeling like a kindergartner when I am on holiday somewhere.