Now seeing airbnb from the guest side

Yeah, I’ve read host posts before that make it evident they don’t really want to host. Like some home share hosts who ask if it’s okay to require that their guests go out from 10AM to 4PM, because it bugs them to have other people around the house all day. They obviously aren’t hosting because they enjoy it, to the point where they actually think it would be okay to tell guests they couldn’t use the space they’d rented for 6 hours of the day- they just want to make some money. They don’t get it at all.

1 Like

I quit hosting because I no longer wanted to exchange my privacy and personal space for money. After a while it started to wear down something inside of me.

I eventually sold the house because I’d rather live alone than rent a portion of my space to another human. And I didn’t want to keep pouring money into the house. It needed a remodel and I didn’t want to sink the money into it.

After quite a few of my recent stays, I’d think… “you obviously secretly hate doing this and can’t/refuse to keep up with the work. Sell/move out of the house and save everyone some heartache.” They were living in a home that was too large for their personal needs, ability/willingness to maintain it to a good standard, and financial situation.

Essentially it comes down to it being extremely uncomfortable to rent from people who are house poor and/or aren’t maintaining a home in a good working fashion.

2 Likes

Is this really a thing? That’s absurd, I’ve never heard of anything like that. Do they put it in their house rules or in the description I wonder? Or just blindside the guest with the request to leave once they have checked-in. :woman_facepalming:

Yes, I must have read about 3 separate posts on the CC over time where home-share hosts asked this question. I’m not sure if they stated this in their listing, or they were just asking if it would be okay to do so. Either way, it’s an outrageous concept- “Please rent a room in my home, but I really don’t want to have to see you around”.

At least one of those, I recall, was an older British host- apparently traditional BnBs in Britain used to have rules like that. So they assumed it was a reasonable policy to have.

2 Likes

Didn’t the traditional b&b’s have live-in hosts?

I gather that yes, that was the case. But that’s exactly what we’re talking about here- home-share situations.

I stayed in a lovely B&B near Bath in '94 with the now Mr Joan, intended to be the proverbial dirty w/e. We were astonished when they came knocking on our door at 9.30 to say breakfast was ready, and that we had to leave for the day by 10 am. They were just as astonished that we had arrived on the bus and didn’t have a car to get our and about.

Fortunately the village had two really nice pubs.

I do recall that some UK B&Bs, that provided accommodation for homeless people. had such a rule, but not touristy ones, particularly one with a very nice guest sitting room! Yes it felt very much like “we’ll take your money but don’t want to see you”.

And yet, only yesterday I had an enquiry via TripAdvisor asking me if I had the exact same rule.

2 Likes

Just because you are unfamiliar with the concept - doesn’t make it outrageous @muddy

B&Bs did traditionally have that rule as did youth hostels around the world. Not as you call them just ‘the Brits’.

Hosts are free to work in a way that best suits them. And guests are free to choose a listing that meets their requirements. Of course hosts wanting to do will severely limit their market, but it’s their choice if they want to do so.

Just as some hosts expect guests to bring towels and linen, some hosts want a free space during the day, because they work or use the time to tidy up the property. If you are booking a place as a guest to work, this sort of arrangement wouldn’t bother you at all.

2 Likes

There’s a listing not far from us that looks like it would be ultra cool, only the owner just doesn’t seem to care and probably gets the crash padders only with his low price. If he put in a little effort and design sense, he could actually be making 100 more per night, because the place is already unique and central. Maybe he doesn’t need it??

I am remarkably old - not the oldest member here but getting up there - and I remember that being the case when I was a kid. But I’m surprised if B & Bs still do it.

Love that you put it in quotes. I would really like to ban that word. I’m English not a bloody Brit! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Oh, so the People’s Republic of Yorkshire isn’t a real country then?

We get this all the time here, folks say “de Inglaterra?”, asking if we’re English.

When the response, in Spanish, is no we’re bloody not, we’re Scottish, the apologies are often effusive :stuck_out_tongue:

Curiously, if in a bar, we suddenly find the size of the measures increase. I’ve no idea if it’s as an apology, or simply that my race’s reputation has preceded us.

Being a bit of a mongrel, I sometimes play the Irish “card”. Same result :wink:

JF

2 Likes

I have an element of incognito here because there are probably readers who nothing about Home Rule for Yorkshire. Or the fact that it’s Yorkshire Day in a couple of weeks. And being from Yorkshire, I’m sometimes asked if I’m from Scotland. :roll_eyes:

As if our accents are alike! Chalk and cheese.

3 Likes

I would not be able to stay there! Gross!!

1 Like

What I think is outrageous is that people would list a home share if they really seemed to be bothered by having guests around. That’s what I’m talking about, not stating that guests need to be out of the house for a couple hours a day (although I think 6 hours is quite unreasonable) It’s like deciding to accept children or dogs because you think it will bring you more bookings, when you really hate dogs and can’t stand children.

If a host needs to work from home during the day, they can do that in their room, or their office, and if the only place to do that is at the kitchen table, they could make house rules about quiet times and hours of use of the common spaces. It isn’t necessary to lock guests out for half the daylight hours.

And as far as tidying up, there’s nothing about guests being present in the home that precludes being able to tidy up, vacuum, or whatever.

Yes, every Airbnb is different, and I know that some places require providing your own linen and such. But to me, if someone is not a sociable person, who enjoys having people around and interacting with them, they shouldn’t be home-sharing.

1 Like

I’ve visited Scotland three times, and no Scot ever offered to buy me a drink; many, however, found some excuse to celebrate by purchasing a wee dram for them!

In Spain, they probably know that Scots can stretch a shot and a pint until closing time.

When I had the bar in Portugal, everyone dreaded the August Spanish tourists descending, who would nurse a coffee all night whilst taking up valuable space. I hid the coffee machine, said it was broken, and offered instant coffee only. They soon left.

To be fair, people from Lisbon can be the same, but most of my Scottish customers were great spenders, including the ones I had to kick out for singing offending anti Irish songs.

It could have been worse. They might have started singing unexpurgated Bobby Burns songs. I recorded a version in Scotland that would probably make you blush.

1 Like

I have had air purifiers in my guest room and my bedroom for three years as I have four pugs in my shared home. I cannot tell you how many guests have commented on how nice they are both for cleaning the air and for providing white noise. In 4+ years I have never received less than 5 stars for cleaning and almost everyone comments on how clean and fresh my home smells. I absolutely swear by them!

2 Likes

I think the other guest that was appalled but stay for a month really didn’t mind the nasty bathroom because she would have cleaned.

I had an inquiry recently asking to bring two kittens. No, besides my personal distaste for felines my house rules for my dog friendly listing states that the dog cannot be left alone in the cabin. I cannot see that happening with two kittens they would be left alone to tear up my furniture. Then there is the whole cat box thing. Yuck.

I am not surprised that (some/most) listings that allow cats are a mess.

RR

2 Likes