Not wanting to continue to offer tv at secluded country tiny cabin listing?

We have a separate tiny cabin on our farm, a couple of hundred feet from the main house. Super secluded, convenient to many State Parks (20 mn or less), popular concert venues, festivals, etc, and our setting/serenity and seclusion is what brings ours guests of the last 7 years. Most of our guests tell us they choose us to ‘refresh’ and heal their fried brains and harried lives. So…Our rates are very reasonable even for the area and the quality of the property. I am wanting to get rid of the my Directv at my home, with also services the cabin. I watch very little tv, and now have fiber so I can get a Roku (or so I’m told, no clue here) but there is no WiFi at the cabin and would be prohibitive to install and monthly as the provider requires it to be a separate ‘address’. Never had a problem from folks wanting WiFi, but…I want to remove TV as there is no affordable option to continue. And I despise Directv. Have any of you done so without resulting drops in bookings, those of you who have a similar offering of nature, peaceful and private surroundings with lots of outdoor activity? If so, what other ‘amenities’ to you offer to make up for no tv? https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17636617?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=2ebfe8fb-eaef-40aa-a20a-8cff7e7b4880

We didn’t have a TV for years until COVID because people didn’t stay here to hang out inside.

A couple of thoughts:

1. You could actually promote “unplugged” as a virtue – even work it into the headline of your property. Very appealing to vacationing adults who work in a field where they are always unofficially on call or to parents of teenagers (or grandparents). (Read The purple cow by marketing guru Seth Godin)

2. You could leave the TV in the cabin and add a dvd/blue ray player. Used dvd’s are now cheap as people with streaming unclutter, and you could invite guests to bring their own favourites for a weekend of “re-run” binging by firelight in the evenings

3. Have high-quality audio playback (amp and really good speakers) and invite people to bring their favourite cd’s, and try to build a library of five-cents-on-the-dollar used music cd’s (often available at thrift stores)

2 Likes

thanks! good ideas. I thought about the DVD player for sure. I have a bluray in the house I never use. And I already promote ‘unplugged’ in my description, and that’s why I thought it may not matter to most. And I would CLEARLY (and say so 2-3 times, lol) that there is no TV. Already state no WiFi. I like the DVD idea. I’ll look into it. Don’t really want to invest in audio, PLUS don’t want to hear it at a volume they may prefer. I have had guests invite me over to listen to them play acoustically, it was magical. I encourage that in my listing as well. Appreciate the input!

My listing isn’t super secluded, but it is in the countryside surrounded by nature. I have never had a TV myself and never offered one to guests. Hasn’t been a problem at all. My guests don’t come here to watch TV, they are mostly busy with outdoor stuff.

And I have a friend who has a listing right in town, but no TV, although she does have Wifi. She stocked the unit with books, interesting magazines, games and puzzles. One couple she had told her they were really grateful that there was no TV, as they probably would have sat around at night being couch potatoes, but instead played cribbage, which they hadn’t done in years, and had a great, fun time doing so.

As Spark suggests, market towards the type of guests who are looking for an “unplug, unwind” experience.

1 Like

Also ask them to confirm that they understand this when you write your “Thanks for booking with us…” note

In some communities you can pick up an old (but passable) upright acoustic piano for a couple hundred dollars

1 Like

Oh yes…great idea. We have a tiny cabin…265 sq. ft. No piano darnit. Some have played banjo, sang and guitar. It’s wonderful.

I also don’t have tv for myself and for my last two rentals did not provide tv. I figure most guests come with phones/computers and do their own thing. No one ever complained, but who knows if I lost a lot of bookings because no tv.

I don’t consider not getting bookings from guests who want what we don’t provide to be “losing” bookings. Either one’s listing is a good fit for guests or it isn’t. Much better to get 5 bookings from guests who are a good fit, have no complaints and leave complimentary reviews than 10 bookings from those who aren’t a good fit and complain, ask for refunds, and leave bad reviews.

I’m quite happy to “lose” bookings from unsuitable guests.

2 Likes

The newest “big thing” in Texas is LP’s and a good record player. You can pick up used LP’s at record shops and build an extensive collection. I have heard that older people and young delight in playing classics as they were meant to be heard.

1 Like