Not Lovin AirBnb Host Support

Yes, It’s a 45 minute drive to the next town and I’m charged a visit fee every time they come out and a charge per pound of laundry. Since it was a fluffy comforter, it added up!

I was having trouble locating what the damage deposit could be used for…so I was just reading through the Host Guarantee, and that’s where I saw the animal clauses.

It did mention that the Host Guarantee can be used when the guest has no damage deposit. And I think the newest change is if the damages exceed $300 then the Host Guarantee has to be filed. I don’t know…so many ridiculous complicated policies. Sigh…

1 Like

Thanks! How do I escalate? When the claim was first denied, I emailed back and made sure the 3rd party AirBnb person understood that the guest broke a house rule and did this make a difference. He replied that the decision was final…

And the ridiculous part of this is if you were to claim that a “person” vomited up grass, instead of a dog…then Air would say that damaged linens and towels cannot be claimed…as that it just considered normal wear and tear, and the cost of doing business. Not kidding!!

What kind do you use, if you don’t mind! I’m not a super techie, but it would be nice to have a photo of who is checking in - and see if they have pets.

Here is a post from someone in the Airbnb Community Forum: If you google it you can read the entire thread. It was back in April of this year.

"I had an in depth email exchange with Lilli, a Trust & Safety Team regarding some misconceptions I had to the way AirBNB operates. I took care to confirm my questions, her replies, and my understanding of those replies three times just to make sure there weren’t key points lost.

#1. As of at today, AirBNB’s Trust & Safety Team only communicates via email correspondence. While they have had conversations with Hosts int he past the policy is now that “The AirBNB Trust and Safey Team team handles sensitive escalated concerns as well as damage claims. Additionally, our department handles all claims via email correspondence.”

#2. Additional Guest Fees are unenforceable against the security deposit. While a guest overstaying their stay by 24 hours or more is something that AirBNB will mediate, Additional Guest fees are optional and must be agreed to be paid by the guest. If a guest books for 1 guest and the reservation is accepted, the Security Deposit will not be held. Even if the guest themselves admits that they have brought guests beyond the reservation, and even if they agreed to pay additional guests fees, this is not a valid claim. The only recourse if for the guest to voluntarily offer to pay these fees.

#3. House Rules are not enforcable against the security deposit. If a host prohibit smoking, pets, parties or any other behavior/activity and a guest violates these provisions, again this must be a voluntary payment made by the guest.

#4. Stains to sheets and towels, even if they do not wash out are not considered physical damage, and are therefore not permitted as valid claims against the security deposit.

For #2-#4 I want to be clear that I am not talking about having a claim determined in your favor as a host. Instead, hosts are prohibited from even requesting any type of mediation or communication between AirBNB, host, and guest because these are not items that can ever be claimed or enforced againsts the security deposit."

The key is the 48 hour window. You MUST meet the parameters.
I think the dog decision was an error . I will seek clarification.

Here is the time frame for security deposit on the Air site:

“If a host wants to make a claim on the security deposit, they must do so within 14 days of the checkout date or before a new guest checks in, whichever is earlier. If a claim is made, Airbnb will mediate and collect payment from the guest, as necessary.”

Wow! Reinforces the point that as hosts, we are basically on our own. I guess that is just the risk of doing AirBnb, but it is too bad.

Hi @Katie_Cline,

Sorry about the bad experience with Airbnb, but unfortunately this kind of thing is a common experience. Just look at the Airbnb reviews on Trustpilot.

I just wanted to say that putting an exterior facing camera (possibly with audio) for a place you are not residing in is a standard precaution. If Airbnb was sensibly run, they would be giving people lists of recommendations like these. I think that @KKC, for example, routinely recommends external facing cameras on theads. And of course you can find discussions about cameras here, but they do tend to be US-centric. You didn’t state your location.

jeez that really isnt ok.

Katie, sorry this happened to you. The more I learn about Air practices and their Host Guarantee, the more appalled I am with Air. They must think there’s a never ending supply of hosts willing to open their properties to this type of abuse.

We’re all likely to be all-too familiar with the useless Air “guarantees”, ID verification, rubbish Host support (possibly Guest as well) etc. so we shouldn’t be too surprised when the failings loom large occasionally.
The answer is to create our own “insurance” by charging each guest (as opposed to booking, as more guests equates to more likelihood of damage) a small surcharge which is specifically put aside to cover things like this, as well as replacement of sheets, towels and the like.
I know that we tend to think of the income from Air as holiday / treat cash but we must start looking at it in a more business-like way and plan ahead. And don’t forget Tax!
AirBnB have a huge reputation as a great place to find a place to stay - which encourages Hosts. So Yes, SuiteinSeattle, there is a never ending supply of hosts. At the moment!
Eventually a company will come along that addresses the failings of Air - but don’t hold your breath; just think about Microsoft and Facebook etc…
Finally, a small bit of support for Air - we have a fairly remote home and let out a room. We don’t live in a popular holiday destination and would really struggle to get bookings but for the popularity of Air.
With best wishes to all Hosts :smile: