Non toxic, efficient cleaning supplies

Hello. I came across this solution- am looking for great non-toxic type of affordable cleaning supplies. What do you think- would this be good to sterilize things?

CLEANING COUNTERS- ¾ CUP VINEGAR, ¾ C ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, ¾ CUP WATER, 6-8 DROPS DISH SOAP IN SPRAY BOTTLE- amazing and super cheap

We have tons of old threads on this topic. Just use the search feature of the forum to find them. But don’t necro them (comment on them and bring them to life) if they are over a year or so old.

1 Like

i looked for them but nothing came up

I would strongly advise not using anything with vinegar on natural stone like marble or granite. It will destroy the stone. Other things like corian or engineered stone, it’s fine to use vinegar based products.

Really they come up when I search :grin:

Are there ANY cleaning supplies being sold for day-to-day cleaning of homes that ARE ‘toxic’? I would imagine that, except for misuse, the average cleaning supply has been vetted and cleared years ago… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@Letsgo I find this to be a very useful resource. You can either browse by type (e.g. dishwashing) or look up specific products that you are considering. There’s also a list of the highest scoring A grade cleaners overall, maybe a good place to start. You can also search by brand.

If you’re not joking then you might want to look up the stuff you have sitting around your house on the link above.

You’ll see that not only that a lot of current (and trusted) products are toxic that some have many issues, even when used as intended. The site breaks it down to exactly what kind of toxicity and/or issues the product has and which ingredient is the cause of each (asthma/respiratory, skin allergies and irritation, developmental and reproductive toxicity, cancer and environmental) as well as the level of concern (low, moderate, high and no data).

There are a lot of tricky products, things advertised to be scent free, baby safe, or green, etc that aren’t. And some are the opposite than expected. Many are falsely marketed.

“Tide Purclean Free” has a (F) rating. But “Tide Plus Downy, April Essence” has a (B) rating.

And although the Seventh Generation Brand is marketed as non-toxic and earth-friendly, their laundry detergents are not rated any better than Tide’s.

4 Likes

We extensively use EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning for products for housecleaning for us and for guests.

We also use EWG’s Skin Deep website EWG Skin Deep for personal care products (shower gel, hand soap, shampoo, etc.). The personal care products we supply to guests are all researched through EWG.

2 Likes

Thank you for your useful comment.

1 Like

Thank you once again for your useful comment.!! Great to know as a
place to research.
I’m hoping to land on something that I can make at home too so I know
all the ingredients- and is cost effective- just don’t know the right
ingredients- but I keep hearing vinegar, baking soda, peroxide… I
just don’t want to create an explosion, lol and I know some are not
supposed to be put together…

I wasted money on these “marketed products” that when I did a deep
dive some of the ingredients were questionable and certainly want them
around my pets little lungs and me for that matter.

1 Like

About 20 years ago, and I doubt anything has changed since, I took a course required to work in the film industry (I was trying to get into working in wardrobe). One of the things it covered was WCB (workers’ compensation board) rules and policies.
The presenter said that there are products available for domestic use that are banned in commercial settings. One was “citrus” scented products. Unless they are guaranteed to be from natural citrus, that scent and the product is actually extremely toxic, and therefore WCB won’t cover issues related to its use.

There are hundreds of unregulated chemicals in everyday products on the grocery store shelves.

My sarcasm was apparently not seen with my comment…

1 Like

No, I didn’t read any sarcasm in your post. That’s where emojis come in handy- a winking crazy face can make it evident that one is joking.

I fixed it for ya…