Non communicative guests

That happened to me several times before I had cameras I could check. Now when I see them load up their stuff and drive out I go open the door and take a look. I’m not currently going in immediately to clean because of covid. If a guest comes back because it’s not my check out time yet I’ll deal with it then.

If you’re getting worked up about something that bothers you, change what you are doing rather than hoping guests will change. You can’t control them.

4 Likes

Last stay in an airbnb I was all packed at 8:30 for a 10am checkout and decided I make one more walk down the block to get a latte, leaving my luggage just inside the door. I come back at 9:00 and the door code had already been changed. Luckily I had the actual door key…

I did text when I left the key on the table and rolled my luggage out the door that I was gone.

2 Likes

I actually like minimal communication and love that the smart lock takes the host entirely out of the picture and yet notifies the host of when the guest checks in, and in rare unfortunate cases of conflict escalation, even allows disabling entry access with your phone.

A couple years back when I first started hosting, I had a guest who didn’t say one single thing in response to my check-in details message, my first-morning-after checking-in message, and my last message on the last day thanking him for his trip. Not a squeak, no requests, nothing at all. I found it strange and maybe initially even a bit anxiety’ing, but when I look back, I realize that he was the most perfect guest who imposed the least on my time and attention as all I had to do was to send him canned template messages. Of course he didn’t write a review either, but unlike most on this site, I just don’t care anymore for guests to necessarily write reviews.

Communication is over-rated in my opinion. If you make everything obvious in your listing, check-in details, house rules, and house manual, and guests don’t feel the need to communicate at all, what could be better?

No communication isn’t bad, poor communication and comprehension is.

That’s ma’boy (or girl or whatever). Totally agree.

1 Like