Noise nuisance and how you prevent it

You can’t put unenforceable rules in your property.

As a property management company, you need to understand Airbnb inside out, so you can best advise your clients.

Surely a CCTV camera outside the door of the property rather than building would pick up excess noise.

As I mentioned earlier if you know this is an issue at this particularly property, you need to be vetting guests carefully to minimise the risk of this happening.

Hi Helsi,

We have added the £1000.00 fine in to our Airbnb house rules, so this can be enforced. However I will always refrain from enforcing this unless it is really needed, hence why it is more of a scare tactic.

Unfortunately as with any industry, sometimes things happen where you need some feedback from others in the same industry to see how they have conquered similar issues where all of the general methods have failed to work.

The CCTV unfortunately does not. All guests that book this property must have Airbnb reviews, none of which can be negative. As many others would of found out the hard way, a lot of people use their friends or family members Airbnb accounts to book trips, so this does at times reduce the amount of vetting you really can do.

As mentioned above our solution to the issue will be working with a security company who will drive past the property throughout the night of guests staying, as well as being the emergency on call number incase of any noise complaints. All guests will be made aware with this which should hopefully stop them from being noisy. Along with this, we are on the waiting list for NoiseAware, which will be coming out in the UK over the next few months. This will allow us to measure the DB rating inside the property at all times. If levels go over a certain amount consistently, the guests will be stopped in their tracks.

I hope others have found this thread useful and can pick up the advice given from everyone!

Thank you to all that contributed :slight_smile:

All the best.

Matt
Starbnb Holiday Home Management

2 Likes

@Starbnb_Management I am trying to point out to you Matt that just because you put something in your rules, doesn’t mean it’s enforceable. It’s Airbnb not you who decides on this. I wouldn’t want you to be in a situation where your hosts think the £1000 fine is a given, when it is not,

That’s why I suggested, you need to be an expert on all things Airbnb if you are going to promote yourself as an Airbnb management company for hosts.

This is a forum for hosts rather than management companies, but I do agree this has been a useful discussion, particularly for those hosting in the UK.

However without it being in the rules, Airbnb cannot consider the enforcement of it. When a guest agrees to book your property, they are at the same time legally agreeing to the terms of your house rules.

This rule is only being used in a property that I own to see it’s future impact of reducing the amount of noise complaints we receive. Trial and error as they say.

Yes we are a management company, but we are also hosts of our own personal properties.

All the best,

Matt

1 Like

I[quote=“Starbnb_Management, post:8, topic:21417”]
Yes, this particular property is a 4 bed that sleeps 12 people.
[/quote]

Oh, man. I could go into a rant on this one, as anyone who knows me here could attest, but I won’t. You’re just trying to do your job. … So I have one suggestion for you which may help - you can add to your network an app that alerts you when a whole bunch of devices join. It is a sure sign of extra people up to no good.

4 Likes

I don’t think there is anything to be done to prevent groups of 12 from making noise. Even once you get noiseaware it won’t prevent the noise. Once you are alerted you will have to go to the property and maybe even kick them out.

I host a room in my home and once I was having friends over while I had an airbnb guest. My quiet hours start at 10 pm. After 10 my friends were talking rather loudly and yes, we were drinking. After one request to keep it down a friend left, pissed that I’d specifically called her out on being loud. After another half hour the volume went up again and at about 11 I just said, hate to do this but party is over.

Sometimes you can’t have your cake and eat it at the same time.

2 Likes

Yes agreed. However if we can respond to any noise alerts within a quick time frame without neighbours having to call us, then this is a big overall improvement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Certainly in the UK fines are a matter for the Courts.

AirBnb will certainly not enforce any fines you put in your listing anywhere.

Now if you want to put them in there knowing they are just to scare the uneducated fine, but no way will you collect.

The fine can be issued through Airbnb as long as it is in your house rules on your property listing and clearly displayed. If you have to issue the fine, it goes through the Airbnb resolution centre. Obviously the fine must match up to what the security deposit is for that particular property.

Is this property Instant Book? Maybe taking it off so you can have more of a discussion with the potential guest before they book?

If you haven’t already done so remove any CD/MP3 players or other ways people can play loud music, including radios, and that encourage a party vibe. They’ll probably think there is one there so won’t think to bring one themselves and will rely on playing music on their smart phone. I am surprised that people provide ways to make loud music and then complain when drunk guests do just that.

Also tell guests, before they book, that you or a close relative live right next door and will immediately report any loud music after 11pm.

2 Likes

what kind of cost will that be, and who’ll pay?

We’ve been quoted £75.00 a week to do 2 patrols per night and act as the 24/7 response unit so that if we do have noisy guests, us or the neighbours can call them and they will go to the property and put a stop to it. The cost will be paid for by us.

A property manager posted on another forum that there is a siren that can be remotely operated. It is available in the US at Lowe’s for about $30. If you see signs of a party on your security cameras, you can activate it via your smart home system and break up the party fast.

1 Like

Party Hardy siren! Too good!

That will please the neighbors.

1 Like

Of course you can ask for pretty much anything through the Resolution Center, I would have thought the Guest agreeing to pay is extremely unlikely.

Probably not non existent which was my first thought.