NO MORE KIDS! Lessons learned from a Superhost

I have no idea why you’re ranting on about Americans for or how you managed to hijack this thread.

1 Like

Oh, don’t start — for goodness’ sake…

2 Likes

@1129 I assume Whistler? If yes, it is a magical place of great beauty. I’ve been a few times and loved it. A great drive to get there from Vancouver too.
Good luck as you move on. If you do host again, remember to check “Not Suitable for Infants” and “Not Suitable for children 2-12”. We did this from the very start and no regrets.

2 Likes

Tell IT! ………………………202020

1 Like

My friend pointed out that she never said all her American guests were a problem.

She did, however, say that all her problem guests were from the USA, and that her international guests were all well behaved.

You do the math.

The problem guests had young kids … her primary point. Her International Guests, since she is in Canada would include Americans who don’t have kids. Presumably most (all?) of them were fine. I can’t imagine an American couple heading up to Whistler (or wherever) for a romantic getaway being much of a problem.

Huh? You should read more carefully: I’m in CANADA. When I say I prefer international guests who book lots of activities as opposed to local Canadians who bring young children to a surf town and stay in the suite most of the time, often leave a mess ….etc….I’m including Americans.

Actually Tofino and if you have never been it’s absolutely incredible……still an unspoiled paradise.
And thank you, that’s good advice!

Never been but the photos look incredible.

1 Like

I’ve had similar experiences with toddlers and children. I’ve even considered removing the twin beds in one of my bedrooms to discourage bookings. But that would discourage singles as well. I have lowered my guest max from 6 to 4, and I think it’s helped a bit…

2 Likes

I’m not sure about the laws in the US , but my cleaner who manages a four room boutique hotel just told me that they don’t allow pets or children — and they’ve never received a complaint, at least not yet! If I had known when I started hosting I would have just done the same.

1 Like

I had to remove my bunk beds. Apparently children used them like monkey bars, one on bottom kicked upper bunk & head/foot rails pestering other child and the child on top did same, ladder removed, .I wanted to scream, “where were the parents”.

Installing a queen bed was a good decision.

2 Likes

This is so interesting to me. We are in a high traffic tourist area and we get families all the time and it’s completely the opposite for us. We love families. Yes kids break things here and there but so do adults. I’m sorry you sold your business over it.

2 Likes

Yes, “Where were the parents”, indeed. Although I know it isn’t easy keeping an eye on toddlers and young children, I do feel that parents are responsible for not letting their children tear up rooms, draw with markers on the wall, drop food all over the house, and jump on furniture until it breaks. This isn’t the children’s fault; it’s the parents. I have had some luck with families with children, but in those cases it was clear that the children were being watched over and guided. Unfortunately, half the time, that’s not what happened.

3 Likes

Yes—when I had both BR & BA open, I loved it when GMa came on vacation with adult children & Gkids.

2 Likes

As a fellow host, I give you permission to never host other people’s kids again. You don’t have to host people who are not suited to your style of hosting, your property type and if they are not your ideal guest.

Just make sure you have your marketing all set to attract your ideal guest and have a way of gently and yet kindly turn away people who are not a good fit. It doesn’t mean they are bad people - just not people who are going to appreciate fully your style of hosting and your property.

I try to coach my hosting clients all the time this. You do NOT have to host people who are not your ideal guest. You are not selling cheap accommodation. Your product is more than a bed and a bathroom. Your products isn’t for everybody and that is OK.

But the guests who are a good fit will really appreciate everything you do and will have a great experience and leave you the best reviews. Trying to please everybody just means you are really diluting your product.

2 Likes

I have never allowed children in my listing. There are a few boxes that allow you to check “not suitable for children.” My previous listing had a second floor and there was no way I was going to risk the liability with my insurance company of having children on my property. My new listing has a fireplace and a few small stairs so I just don’t want to risk it. I would consider it in a private request if the Guest had excellent reviews that commented on how the children behaved and how Guest left the property.

3 Likes

I accepted kids and had the odd draining family every year — not enough to consider banning them but this summer I reached the end of my rope. Definitely makes sense to seek a niche.
Thanks for the advice !

1 Like

I wish the age range was customizable, otherwise it is not very useful. It is walking children under 6 or more that are the problem, with ages 2-3 being the worst. Therefore “under 2” is of no help, and “under 12” is too severe for us as most kids over 8 or so will not be wild or super messy.

4 Likes

No one under 18 - our insurance doesn’t cover them.

2 Likes