NO MORE KIDS! Lessons learned from a Superhost

Whelp that’s it for me. I’ve sold my vacation home with attached BNB suites, and if I ever do this again, the one big thing I’ve learned is: never again rent to families with young children. 10 times out of 10, they leave giant messes: garbage, diapers, marks on the wall, crumbs and food under the bed. The mothers are always the most high maintenance: asking for laundry to be done (WTF), dinging me three stars on accuracy for not having a full kitchen (even though it’s clearly spelled out in the listing description), etc etc. The current guests with a five year old ask for their garbage to be collected daily outside their suite, and leave a large bag with a tiny bit of garbage in it. They also appear to be frying eggs in their suite and I don’t wanna know how. Families with kids always want to cook in their suites. How about going out and supporting the local economy more by going to restaurants? I’m in a tourist hot spot popular with international visitors, but due to COVID those travellers aren’t able to book and so the locals who want to stay in their room all day and bring all their own food are the ones booking. The international guests are wonderful, they are here to be out and about all day exploring, and eating out whenever possible. Low maintenance, independent and never around. The best guests! I know there isn’t a setting to ban kids, and Air BNB dings host who refuse reservations too often but going forward, I’ve learned a lot of lessons about guests who will leave you absolutely exhausted catering to their demands and leaving a filthy suite. Just for the record, I’m a super host with a consistent 5 stars for cleanliness and I’m a mother too!!
GRRRR. Thanks for letting me vent everyone. I’ve been hosting for five years and this has been my experience with the vast majority of families. Would be interested to hear other opinions.

9 Likes

When I first starting hosting I really didn’t want families but after hosting 20 year olds twice that partied and trashed the house, I now receive families with open arms. I rather have sticky finger prints on the walls and dirty diapers in the trash then dealing with a bunch of partying drunks : (

6 Likes

I think it depends on your type of listing. My suites are attached to the main house and so either I’m there or my caretaker is on site so we don’t get the partiers ever . Maybe more of an issue with whole house rentals with remote hosts.

4 Likes

When I allowed 6 guests families with children rented often. Just the Maintenance & repairs wore me out. Now 2 guests max-Heaven.

Competition has increased. Tough decisions must be made. I may do 3 or 4 guests next year.

2 Likes

I get none of these issues hosting people who bring dogs instead of children :slight_smile:

Well, that one happens, but they use the same little bowl everyday.

10 Likes

Why are locals staying with you? Do you have a pool?

I make scrambled eggs in the microwave quite often. If I’m cooking other stuff like hash browns and meat then I’ll cook the eggs in the same frypan but if I just want scrambled egg for the dog or for a quick breakfast burrito with cheese, I use the microwave.

1 Like

We have a regular who does that. She requests Kosher salt as part of the microwave cooking, but I think she’s boiling them. I’m not sure how the salt fits in but we put it in there for her.

1 Like

I’m in a popular tourist area in British Columbia, Canada. By locals I mean guests who are taking stay caytions and live within the province. It’s an area popular with international visitors so locals usually have to book a year ahead for peak season.

The current guests have a metal fry pan they are leaving out for washing ( I don’t have a sink for washing up in the suite). Nothing wrong with cooking eggs in a microwave I do it often….but a metal frying pan ?!

I won’t find out what they’ve been doing until they checkout which can’t be soon enough.

2 Likes

What are they using to heat the frying pan? Take that thing out of there and make a no cooking rule or a microwave only rule.

How many beds does your place have?

4 Likes

I shouldn’t have read this while drinking a milkshake. Must find screen cleaning wipe immediately. I Lol-ed

9 Likes

There is a setting to not allow under 12 years and a box to check for under 2. I have this enabled on 3 of 4 of my listings.

6 Likes

We host families regularly at one of our Airbnb’s and the other one isn’t safe for young ones since it has steep steps and an open loft.

Honestly, the families have been far more easy going and communicative than the high maintenance couples (who have also broken our basic house rules more often). We are outfitted to accommodate babes though- there’s a full kitchen, we include a crib, high chair, some toys, books and children’s cutlery. It’s become a bit of our “niche” market (and as a family with a toddler and a soon to be newborn, we understand their needs pretty well)

Only once did we have a messy family that required a bit more cleanup than usual but no biggie. The families have been very thankful for the thought we’ve put into accommodating their little ones and acted accordingly.

I’m sorry you’ve been run off. Sounds like you were a great host. I allow under 2 and over 12 but people ask or sneak other ages in. I go back and forth because there’s always sticky fingerprints, broken items & baby food cemented to the floor w/ the little ones. Each category of guest has presented issues for me but the most difficult have been younger adults. All my stays seem to drink lots of alcohol but the younger crowd always seems to not be able to keep it down, some smoke stuff, wear tons of makeup products, etc. They’ve worn me down such that I’m actually ready for some families (have a whole house, 6 guest rental). The 2 IBs I got today haven’t answered the “name/age” questions yet but I know they’re families. I suspect they are hoping to fly under the radar w/ <12 yrs olds. Funny, the ones who sneak are the best because they try not to leave clues to the truth :joy: - love them!

3 Likes

I will do that if I ever host again ……!

1 Like

They brought their own fry pan after I told them my local bylaws do not permit a full kitchen ….

It’s two bedrooms that I rent as one suite so two beds. I did rent separately before but found the constant turnover too much ….

How did they heat it/use it? Is there a hotplate in there or did they bring one?

Do you have the “not safe or appropriate for infants and children” checked off? and then they are just booking anyway? Or do you feel like you have to accept children to get booked in your location? Two of ours are full 2br apts and we don’t have kids come, it’s mostly couples or parents with college kids or friends.

I used to tell my teenagers that if they weren’t mature enough to get to the toilet if they had to puke, they weren’t mature enough to drink.

And that drinking til you puke is a waste of alcohol.

6 Likes

Families with kids are my bread and butter. I also allow pets, but we haven’t had as many as I expected.

It’s a 2 bedroom but I don’t accept more than 2 adults because of local regulations. I’ll take up to four kids, but generally there are two. We haven’t yet gotten tired of hearing family noises through the wall.

I’ve recently set up a new listing in the same unit but with one of the bedrooms locked, and I’m curious to see if there are any takers. Maybe I’ll change my opinion about kids; who knows. But for now it’s working for us.

2 Likes

I’m really not sure how they are heating the fry pan ….and with just five more days to go before I leave the house to the new owner….I am beyond caring much anymore. It doesn’t seem worth it. If I find a horrible mess I will review accordingly.

2 Likes