No benefit to banning STRs, says Harvard Biz Review

Checking if everyone has seen this, any perspectives.

I had not seen it; thank you for sharing. It confirmed some things I suspected. I know much of the travel I have done would not have been undertaken if staying in an AirBnB were not an option.

For example, I’ve booked a private room and bath in April right in the totality of the path of the eclipse. All the hotel rooms in the nearest town are fully booked and, since that town has been featured in several articles titled “The top ___ (fill in a number) best places to view the eclipse”, the prices are greatly inflated over the norm. But, because I can get a reasonably priced room in the area (albeit out in the country), I am making the trip.

This is just one example. I could give you dozens. Having options like AirBnB has expanded the amount and kind of traveling people do, IMO.

All this increase in travel may not be good for the environment but it has stimulated the economy and helped increase some incomes.

1 Like

We have a house in Palm Springs, where recent changes to the short term ordinance has put a neighborhood cap in many of the most desirable areas in the city. This has depreciated home sale values across the entire city for both second home owners and primary owners. Home prices are plummeting but at the same time, no one is buying and the market is stagnant.

At the end of the day, these homes were never intended to be affordable housing. They are 2,000+ sq ft homes with swimming pools. And Palm Springs, as a city, has failed to build affordable housing units for their residents (in fact, they just recently opened their first affordable housing complex in 10 years).

We also own a duplex in West Hollywood which we rent out long term. Short term rentals are not allowed in West Hollywood. Yet, when our tenants moved out (we do not raise while the tenant is living there), we raised the rent by $600 and it was still rented out almost immediately. There is just an overall lack of desirable long term housing. And that’s why you’re seeing prime rentals like ours never lacking.

2 Likes

I also booked an Airbnb in the eclipse path – the hyper-inflated rental car rate for the event is more than my 7-person Airbnb cost! And more than a couple of the airline flights added together.

We are debating relying on Ubers, but how high will the congestion pricing go? Also I don’t want to Uber to the grocery store.

Won’t be a total eclipse where I am, an hour north of Puerto Vallarta but close- 95.6%.

I’m driving to where I’m staying to view the eclipse so no worries about a rental car. But yeah, I had not thought about it but I bet all kinds of prices will be jacked up.[quote=“dpfromva, post:4, topic:60330, full:true”]
I also booked an Airbnb in the eclipse path – the hyper-inflated rental car rate for the event is more than my 7-person Airbnb cost! And more than a couple of the airline flights added together.

We are debating relying on Ubers, but how high will the congestion pricing go? Also I don’t want to Uber to the grocery store.
[/quote]

A