Nitpicking guest or over sensitive host?

Well, if I had 125 5* reviews, there’s no way I’d offer to reclean a place I knew was spotless, nor would I refund. She could leave whatever off-the-wall review she wanted and my response to the review would make it clear that her review was untrue.

Fear of bad reviews just isn’t part of my hosting mentality.

7 Likes

Agree with others - if she put in the Air Msg system something to the effect of review extortion it is a clear violation and Air should pull the review.

In such a case, I believe but am not 100% sure that your review is also pulled. Someone here should know for sure what the deal is.

1 Like

I do understand that perspective, Muddy, and I am learning not be be such a pushover (and so concerned about bad reviews).

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to be hard on you, Kat- we all aim to please and no one wants bad reviews. I can see newer hosts who only have a couple reviews under their belt being terrified of a bad review, if it’s one out of only three reviews, I just think that if we so easily hand out refunds because a guest has unreasonable complaints, it encourages this type of guest behavior.

Airbnb’s unfair rating and review system is a behavior modification device to keep hosts stressed out and kowtowing to guest demands.

1 Like

I used @Rolf‘s version and hit send! Her review didn’t mention any of her complaints and she marked me as quick responses and amazing amenities. She gave me four stars overall, three for cleanliness, four for accuracy because her cellphone didn’t have service! Although l gave her a refund for cleaning, I feel darn good about my review! And because of you guys I hit send before the 14 days and now I don’t have to fret over this for another 10 days!

Thanks to @Rolf @muddy @Debthecat @Jefferson @Altitudeadjustment @Kat_Hansen for your insights!

2 Likes

In my case, I had a guest’s review that was blocked by Airbnb ( see My worst racist guest - #4 by JJD ) but my review stayed on their profile.

A side note, I recently looked at that guest’s profile and she’s stayed at another ABB since. She left them a really strange negative review about the place being haunted! lol.

1 Like

Yikes! That may be good and bad for business! Lol

1 Like

I thought the same thing! She’s really bad at writing bad reviews! Those hosts are probably booked until next year with ghost chasers, lol.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, if the guest wants that review pulled then it is likely Airbnb will take it down.

To keep reviews relevant, we recommend avoiding the following:

• Commentary about a person’s social, political or religious views
  • Profanity, name calling, and assumptions about a person’s character or personality
  • Content that refers to circumstances entirely outside of another’s control
  • Content about services not related to Airbnb (ex. an airline, rideshare, restaurant, etc)
  • Commentary about past Airbnb reservations, hosts, or guests, or about the Airbnb product where it does not relate to the listing, host or guest you are rating

When we receive a report of a review that violates this policy, we may remove the review from our platform. Repeated violations may lead to suspension or permanent deactivation of responsible account(s).

JF

A way to reword that so it can’t get pulled is “We experienced this guest to be quite high maintenance.”

You haven’t said the guest IS anything. You’ve only stated your own feelings.

3 Likes

Yes, lol. “It is of our subjective opinion that the guest was an a-hole. We feel like he was a pain in the butt”…

4 Likes

Well said, Sir!

@Rosebud. Did you click the No for “would you host again?” at the end of the review? If so, she will be excluded from IB for hosts that have a certain checkbox enabled.

Good on you for the honest review!

1 Like

Yes, I did and she’s mad. She wrote a long long response as a reply to my review. It makes her seem unhinged. I didn’t even know that a guest could write a response to a review! It shows up on the guests page like a response just like a response on the host’s page shows up under reviews!

Awwww … too bad for her :slight_smile: She didn’t do herself any favors in writing such a response as it’s on her page.

1 Like

Now no one will accept her as a guest… sadly … all she needs to do is start a new account to be a virginal guest again.

Exactly. That’s why many of us suggest not writing post reviews. And if one does respond to a review it should be carefully written so as it not scare off one’s own prospectives.

I’ve had two guests write post reviews to my less than stellar reviews of them:

• one I reported; AirBNB quickly removed it because it violated polices, but my review of her still remains.
  • the second post review made the guest look worse than my review
3 Likes

So, how lucky is that?! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A guest did similar here, after I clicked on wouldn’t host again. My initial review, written at the last minute, wasn’t great, just to the point. I’d had a weekend of hostility from her and two sisters visiting their mum locally ,of being treated with utter disdain in my own home.

Her initial review of their stay was bland (can’t recall *, but nothing ghastly), then she responded to mine in an absolute rage after the cut off period. It somehow landed on her own profile page.

I didn’t notice for months, until flicking through boredly one day. What was meant to send me into a towering rage had me cracking up delightedly.

Unhinged for sure.

2 Likes

I don’t think that you are being overly sensitive. I think that in a standard place, she likely would not have been given a voice for hairsplitting. Airbnb provided her with a microphone, and now she feels all important. If I saw her review, I would not book her.

1 Like

That one. “Just the facts, ma’am”
(what old cop show is that from…? my CRS just kicked in/off)

1 Like

I think it was Dragnet.

1 Like