Nightmare w VRBO

We get variations of this question from time to time.

I always ask ‘How many would be on the property at one time?’

Usually the reply is ambiguous if not evasive. I remind them that the maximum occupancy, whether overnight or not, is six people. [We’ve occasionally made exceptions when they’ll be just outside, up to 8.]

Typically the person chooses not to book (fine with us) or move the event elsewhere.

Early on in running the property we made the mistake of a few times allowing larger groups to come for several hours. Each time there was damages.

My intuition is that the booking guest just couldn’t monitor a larger group, and the visitors just didn’t have the same respect/attachment to the property as someone staying over or as they might as part of a smaller group.

2 Likes

I stopped using VRBO some years ago. Similar reasons as the OP and that 1-4 booking requests were obvious scams and half of the ones that were not were clearly guests who were used to staying in hotels and were rather helpless on top of being incredibly demanding…. May just have been my bad luck with them.

Do the places in your area have reviews?

I finally got time to take a look at this site. There are several with over 20 reviews. I looked a 4 of the top ones and the all had a dedicated restroom by the pool. It looks like they don’t have the whole house but most have spas, toys, grills, etc. One has a guest house so there is a small but full kitchen.

I’d imagine it works just like Airbnb. Good hosts find it worthwhile. Hosts looking for a “quick” way to monetize underutilized assets don’t.

My main concern would be if I lived next door. I don’t think I’d mind an Airbnb. But there is only one pool within earshot of my home. It’s behind me and down about 3 homes. Luckily they don’t have many loud gatherings but if they suddenly had a lot more I wouldn’t be pleased.

I imagine on scorching El Paso days these places do well.

3 Likes

The only one that’s actually on the island has a few reviews. She charges $25 an hour (don’t know if it’s flat rate or per person). She takes up to 100 people and her most recent is a 2. The others are about 45 minutes away, are considerable more expensive and have all 5 star reviews.

A 5 minute phone call after booking came in to touch base with a guest and make sure everyone is on the same page would probably have prevented all this.
Then you could have called w texted her when payment was due.
I always call or verify with an automated message with the guest to make sure phone number is correct.

I would not look kindly on that. I rarely pick up if an unexpected call comes in.

1 Like

You can set up a call with the guest in chat.

I would not agree to that, and I would wonder what’s wrong with you.

1 Like