Nice note from my most recent guest

Sort of makes up for some of my far more difficult guests of the recent past:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApOYL8nws3MwhgBDiIqF0eKfrofU

9 Likes

Thatā€™s really awesome! I used to have a guest book, and probably will again. I loved it when guests would put a sketch. Usually it was dog related since I board dogs here.

This really can be a cool business at times.

1 Like

That is very cute! We have a blank book with lined paper 1/2 filled with ā€œlove notesā€ they really light up our hosting!

1 Like

Thatā€™s so nice! Sketches are the best, and fun to leave at the end of the house manual. I removed one once, though, because, although really cool, it was an illustrated map to a spot on my neighbourā€™s property, where guests arenā€™t allowed to goā€¦

I got a cute sketch on my whiteboard once. The sketch was PG, but the handwritten note about what a good time the couple had was not.

1 Like

I have kept all of my thank you notes in a separate booklet. If and when I go to sell my property this will help me sell my business.

I recently got a long ā€œweā€™re just trying to helpā€ note from a guest. Even before that though there were little tit bits whenever I ran into them. I had explained that as I am currently in a wheelchair I canā€™t check the Airbnb but rely on my long term cleaner who does a fantastic job. But. The husband offered to mow the lawn on the ride on mower but it ran out of gas so was left in the far corner of the lawn where I couldnā€™t refuel it. Okay. She mentioned the BBQ was filthy and had spent some time trying to clean it so offering her the BBQ cleaning wipes I had bought was too late. Or the mould in the bathroom I have just managed to get someone to regrout because I have tried every tip offered including removing the silicone which I think was designed by Nasa for the Mars lander heat shield and canā€™t be removed. Not that there isnā€™t cause to complain, no one likes a bit of mould, but I have spent years trying to fix it. Anyway. She left a long note reiterating all this and various other suggestions to ā€œlet my cleaner know what she needs to doā€. Needless to say I didnā€™t show it to my cleaner as she would blow her top. They did add ā€œweā€™re telling you now so we donā€™t have to mention it in the reviewā€ a nice little pass-ag attack.
Me and the cleaner have come to the conclusion some peopleā€™s idea of a holiday is to go around and check and criticise other peopleā€™s houses and so we should charge more for the mould in the bathroom. Sure it will be gone soon but then they will mention the dust on the skirting boards or the small cobwebs behind the blinds if you stand on a chair and look really hard.

1 Like

and dont forget the ā€œhidden dirtā€ under the fridgeā€¦that they must have pulled out to actually find!

1 Like

I have been using the bottom freezer compartment for emergency Covid rations. She mentioned it, not that they needed the space. Apparently if you remove the frozen meat from one compartment there is a leak or something that my cleaner should address. WTAF? Who goes around removing frozen goods from a fridge to check for stains on their holiday?

1 Like

I have a book of dog photos and ask guests to sign the page where one that resembles their own pooch is or put one in the back.

1 Like

Someone looking for a discount or refund. Has the review period ended?

1 Like

Yes but things frequently end up under the refrigerator when dropped. Or under the bed, bureau, bookcase, etc. So if someone retrieves their lost item and finds dust bunnies, hairballs, dead insects etc, itā€™s not a good look for an airbnb rental.

Rather than discounting or dismissing the items in the letter, why not commend your guest for being candid and private about the many problems in your unit? Nothing that was mentioned was ā€˜pettyā€™ - and all the things mentioned are fair game for a guest who expects a mold free and clean place.

No, it wasnā€™t p/a - it was helpful and concerned. And yes it appears that your cleaner needs to step up to the task. Not taking these problems seriously is a sign of poor hosting. And nobody knows and honestly do not care about your personal issues, they just know what it feels like to have a messy yard, a filthy bar-b-cue, and mold.

2 Likes

I always thank guests for their private comments, even if they are a bit unique. One guest suggested adding a comfy upholstered chair ā€“ in a 315 sq efficiency suite that includes a large bath with roll in shower! I guess I could hang it from the ceiling. Another guest told me they always check all the snacks in an Airbnb and notify the host of any past their ā€œBest Byā€ date, followed by a list of my offending items. In a small way, it made their day to be acknowledged Iā€™m sure. Takes a New York minute and no skin off my nose.

2 Likes

Nah, she was just being a nosy jerk. And I am glad my guests, including these, see my recent leg amputation, restricting my ability to check the apartment myself, as more than just a ā€œpersonal issueā€.

1 Like

They gave me 3 stars and only mentioned the fantastic views. Iā€™ve got 400 reviews with an average 4.2 and more like 4.8 over the last 2 years so I can live with it. I always encourage people to be honest.

There are metal base frames with wheels for fridges and stoves. Might not be a bad idea for Airbnbs.

Not just for the guests who might look under there, but if some food gets pushed under, it could smell and attract vermin.

My cleaner for my house always pulls out the fridge and stove when she cleans, washing the floor under them. They arenā€™t even on wheels and I never instructed her to do that.

Iā€™d never be able to afford a cleaner if I still lived in Canada. Here I pay $20 for her to come once every 2 weeks for 4 hours. One of the perks of living in Mexico. (BTW, thatā€™s considered a very good wage here, not taking advantage)

When I housesat for my brother in San Miguel de Allende, my SIL gave me an envelope and the instructions: Every Wednesday at 1pm, I was to meet Guadalupe and let her in and leave, and leave one of the 200 peso pay envelopes on the kitchen table. I was warned to always be on time because the cleaner counted on the income and had a tight schedule and my SIL had waited 2 years to get on her list.

Of course I did just that. I knew what trouble I would be in if I did something that caused Guadalupe to quit.

1 Like