"NHS may rent spare rooms to ease bed crisis"

I’m inept at posting a link but this is spread all over the UK national press in one form or another this morning, including “NHS Airbnb style” in one article. There’s a general consensus that Hosts will receive £50 pn, with the expectation of providing 3 microwave meals a day, and chat… Maximum earnings of £1000 pcm, with no experience necessary…

Criminal Record Checks? Laundry? Utilities? Cleaning? Safeguarding? Regulation?

Rant, rant, rant.

I’m now going to track this Harry Thirkettle, the start-up entrepreneur of CareRooms, also part-time emergency registrar in Essex, down and give him a stark reality check. He’s quoted as saying that rooms would be rented out to funders at £100 per night, with half going to the host. Tw%$t.

That is one of the most insane ideas I’ve ever heard

I couldn’t agree more but the Department of Health is that desperate, they are supporting him, as are some Clinical Commissioning Groups, who could see themselves making a profit. I’ve found him on LinkedIn and have “invited” him to discuss. I’ll be helpful if he does, but probably not in the way he might expect!

1 Like

This is the very worst of capitalism and opens a group of highly vulnerable sick people to abuse and unsafe conditions and genuine hosts to be used like slave labour nurses for $2 hours for their services. Sick people potentially dying and spreading disease in their home expecting host to be at beck and call and family/friends dropping by all day. Wow just wow

2 Likes

I think they are planning to aim this at people who don’t have family/friends to care for them at home post “minor” surgical procedures but give an inch, take a mile. The potential for abuse is unimaginable, and I doubt anyone would take it up. The DoH is in a panic about a winter flu epidemic (I think Australia has just experienced one) amidst the chronic shortage of beds.

After 40 plus years in the NHS/Social Care fields, I amin utter despair at such madness.

1 Like

Another really good reason to turn off Instant Book! Although if the expectation is to provide 3 meals it is an easy “no” but what a hassle! Let’s hope this is just a harebrained idea that was leaked to the media without any substance.

2 Likes

Harebrained yes, lacking in substance, unfortunately not. Even the DoH has commented favourably. I don’t think they’re considering bookings via IB or the Air platform though. More like Harry Thirsty Whistle for Your Money will source hosts, and Commissioners will commission from him. Or some such bollox. Call me a cynical old git but commissioners seem to do anything to “save” tax payers money in order to justify their unjustifiable existence in the so-called UK healthcare market.

Another rant!

1 Like

Wow, that’s one scary idea. That’s the sort of notion that gives rise to a Zombie Apocalypse.

2 Likes

Yes we did several young people died. I’d love to hear about any insurance company that would let a host ‘care’ for patients recovering from surgery in the home and feeding them some lean cuisines

3 Likes

The relevant Health Trust that was going to pilot the scheme has dropped the plan. I’ve only had time to read the headlines but TG common sense came to their aid. I hope he gets a flying kick up his not-so-fat-cat backside from his NHS bosses for bringing the Trust into disrepute…

3 Likes