News article about Hosts closing listings

Sharing an article. We’ve talked about LTR, temporary closing, and other options as our rental business has declined. Interesting to see we are not alone.

Once again, we’re seeing articles about people who bought the properties to STR them and people who rent properties from owners in order to list them on Airbnb.

Offield switched her Airbnb to a 30-day stay, the minimum required to be considered a long-term listing. She didn’t get a single reservation, and her beach bungalow has stood empty for two months.

Presumably, by saying ‘her Airbnb’ the article means that she changed her listing - on Airbnb - to a 30-day minimum. Then sat back waiting to see if any bookings arrived?

I know that when I’ve posted things like this here before it’s not been a popular viewpoint but if she didn’t get on the phone, start posting to social media, contact former clients, etc. etc. etc. and just waited for her listing to bring in guests, well I’m not surprised nothing happened. (Apologies to Amy Offield if she hustled like crazy).

I know I’m ‘old school’. Sorry. But it’s yet another article trying to show that STR hosts have no gumption.

6 Likes

As a real estate broker in a vacation area buyers are reading these articles and expecting a fire sale, which is not happening. Prices are holding firm and sales are steady I have been busy since all this started.

RR

4 Likes

Good luck to any investor hosts here in the province of Cadiz who want to bail, the market here is dead, according to an estate agent friend.

What we’re seeing with these various “Airbnb gloom” articles is a steady procession of folks who, over the past few years, have seen STR as easy money. Whether it be by rental arbitrage or by direct finance (mortgages etc) they’ve built up their little empires and watched the money roll in, and now, because it’s all come tumbling down, want to blame everyone bar themselves.

Oh @jaquo you should know by now that doing doing all that stuff is not how it works. You slap a listing on Airbnb and then just watch the money roll in… silly girl :smirk:

Like many on here, our STR business is built on a solid footing. If we didn’t see a guest until next May we’d still be here, a bit poorer and with a lot less luxuries in life, but still with the ability to trade.

During the lock down we’ve been in touch with our direct guests, keeping them up to date on what’s happening, reached out to language schools who do summer classes and our own web site will go live in a week or two. OH will do the social media, that’s really not my thing :wink:

In many areas, the demise of investor hosts will be a good thing, ours included. Over the past couple of years we’ve seen a forty odd percent rise in available properties, some with decent reviews, some with shit reviews and quite a few with no reviews at all. The increase in our area is down to about seven or eight individuals/agencies, with little of the funding originating locally.

I’m aware that not all investor hosts are poor hosts, I know a few and they run a good business, have decent properties and give their guests a great stay. However, in my experience, folks like this are the exception, and as far as the rest are concerned…

gaf

JF

6 Likes

Even though in Boston we still can’t rent to folks unless they are essential workers, there really isn’t much activity. My STR is not a stay at the place and relax type. It’s a great little affordable STR for sightseeing in Boston, Salem and a starting point for a New England Trip (close to airport) . What I found interesting are Airbnb’s comments about how many people are looking (64 percent higher than normal and 40 percent less properties available). I think folks have either shut down in my area or have closed up shop. I see this as a good thing too.

For me, I haven’t decided what to do. This was never to make money but to cover my bills for the house as I decide where to move after my divorce. But it’s now going on 4 years and I just might hold out and get a roommate (about 1/3 of the money I make from STR) and wait for the vaccine.

I’m encourage to get back to the model I had when I first started on Airbnb.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see the poorly managed investor properties go the way of the dodo. The pros were an asset to STR.

True, there’s a lot of inventory in my area and a lot of sales. Interest rates are down, people want out of high-tax locales, and WFH has people moving to sunnier climes sooner rather than later.

1 Like