Newbie no show - what do i write for the review?

Yes, we do get some entitled people, that’s for sure. I’m always surprised. Often the women are kind of apologetic and are in seemingly constant damage control, because they know their husbands/fiancé’s are real jerks, but at the same time, they seem to delight in having a bully for a partner to act out in the ways they aren’t comfortable to. Sort of like they guy ends up looking like the bad one, but really both of them expect the same treatment and have the same attitudes. The woman is just a little more ashamed about showing it in person.

The weirdest thing is they ended up loving their stay and giving a glowing review and five stars. We’re pretty good about pretending to like people and being hospitable. My husband (who actually dealt with this couple as I was just too put out to do it this time), is used to dealing with people in all stages of emotional volatility, having been a record producer for 30 years. Making records with insecure, desperate and moody artists is no walk in the park either (though infinitely more enjoyable!). We presently have 96% five star reviews, and have never had a mark below 4 in any area, and only a few 4’s at that.

I did write a review detailing our experience with the guests. It may have come as a shock to them, but boo hoo. If anyone else lets them into their home, hopefully they try to have a little more respect and awareness that we’re not the Best Western, which is where they had meant to book for a wedding in town, but were too late and missed out.

I’ve written what I hope is a balanced review, simply stating facts and recommending they book a backpackers with 24hour reception not a family home. It’s obviously not an experience either of us wanted, but they got a place to stay that night and my child wasn’t woken up in the night, which was good.

1 Like

Sandy, I remember those traumatizing guests. UGH!

Imo, Sorry, that COW thing made me LOL!!!

Jack, this is an interesting idea and should be considered. Can’t do it in Hawaii since ALL my guests are traveling here by airplane and I have to accommodate that. Most are more than ready to get here and get settled in after a long flight.

Sandy I laughed reading your story and the gymnastics and all of it!
Hahaha!
I probably should be budgeting for a new bed as part of upcoming potential expenses!
Lol

1 Like

Have a situation like DCMooney’s.
Had a guest book five nights Sunday (same day booking). I think he had actually been trying to book since the previous day (verification issues).
Well anyway, I indicated to him on Sunday, before he reserved, that they’d be people in the living room area till about 5 pm but of course he was still free to use his room and garden before 5 pm. He said no problem.
Tried to probe abit more about what brings him to town, etc but he wasn’t answering.
I was abit hesitant, but then decided to accept the request anyway (it was for 5 days - good income), and he made the reservation and said he’d be in touch in a few hours (this was Sunday morning).
By 7pm no word, so I messaged him just to let him know we were done.
No response.
I waited up till 1 a.m. with no responses at all and I went to bed expecting some 2-3 am contact.
Since his last communication on Sunday morning, there has been no response whatsoever, and he has not showed up, and it’s now Tuesday morning.
No paypal payment has come through either, although I hear some talking on this forum about paypal delays currently.
Anyway, it’s all quite strange. I’m still expecting him to show up anytime, after all he has paid for 5 days, has not cancelled, and my calendar remains blocked for the period.
It’s just the uncertainty that is weird and puts one off balance!

Well it’s Thursday. Got paid for the 5 nights and not heard a single word from the guest despite my inquiries.
Very strange.
I hope he’s not dead or anything.
Then again maybe I’m just charging so low that guests don’t mind losing 5 days booking!

1 Like

He sounds like the perfect guest! I agree that is very very strange though.

1 Like

Aquatic, that’s so crazy. Five nights?! I wonder if this is somehow a scam … I just checked my mystery no-show and there’s still no new activity on his account. I keep expecting to see a new review, or something - I do hope they are ok.

So could there be some benefit to a crook to have an electronic trail that made it appear that they stayed somewhere they didn’t? I don’t know!

The plot thickens.
Guest has called after the period of the stay (ie after 5 days) telling me he had difficulties getting situated, accessing the internet, phones, etc, after I sent yet another email saying I hope he is still alive and nothing bad happened to him…
He seemed to be suggesting a refund. I very GENTLY explained to him that this was out of the question and the reason whyit was impossible (my calendar blocked for the period meaning I couldnt book guests, he didnt cancel and I have my settings set to the most flexible that airbnb allow.
Secondly he is asking to make a fresh booking (starting tomorrow) at a discounted rate for 11 days.
I’m kind of torn - it’s not so much the rate (which I would be willing to consider in the circumstances, and also because it’s over a longer period), but wondering if the person is ok to have in the home?

May need to meet him tomorrow in person first before I confirm the booking.

Weird!

He is trying to play you. I just read on another site where an Airbnb guest made all these little complaints during the stay, and then wanted to book for an upcoming stay at a discount (in order to compensate for the tiny troubles she had to endure).

If some had issues at a place then why would they want to return to the same place?

This is very odd Aquatic. I would feel very awkward about meeting this guest after the no show no comms. Especially as he didn’t get in touch until after the stay had ended. I feel like he must be playing you. I’m sorry but I have travelled to the depths of India where only the poorest live, and still could find Internet. It is all over the world now. I have used it atop the highest mountains in Morroco only reachable by climbing with help of guides and mules, where only the poorest goat herding peoples live on sharp rocks without proper shoes. It is implausible that he was out of touch the entire time. Whenever someone says this to me, I immediately know I am being lied to. I recently got back from canoe camping in the Adirondacks, and lost signal once we got right out into the wilderness, but I was just a days solid paddle from wifi (and even equipped with a satellite emergency alarm in case of major injury!).

In five days (and most likely before), your guest could have let you know what was going on). It sounds like he is playing you, and by now hoping for a longer stay intends to get a discount and use your guilt from the ‘free money’ to make you feel like you owe it back to him. Except that you don’t. You were unable to book during those dates, and should not give him any more of a discount than you would ordinarily give a guest for an 11 day stay. Personally I would be wary of meeting anyone before a stay. It is against Airbnb policy - usually they want to avoid using Airbnb, which leaves you unprotected, and it is prime time for him to manipulate you and guilt you for keeping the money that you rightly should keep.

Thanks guys.
I was only willing to meet him because he has technically already stayed at our place for 5 days (although he never showed).
Well, he wrote asking that I approve the discounted rate, and when I proposed the meeting first to see whether we would be a good fit for the additional 11 days he again went quiet again, so I think that situation has resolved itself!
Just been trying to rack my brain wondering what exactly he is up to! It’s just weird.
Prior to his first booking I took our house number off the guest info so that a guest would actually have to be in touch after the booking to be able to find the exact location.
Anyway, putting a close to that chapter! Phew!
Now for the review for his earlier 5 days I intend to use the wording DCMooney had used for her no show, word for word!
:smile:

1 Like

Aquatic,

Sorry, I misread your posting - i think I missed an entire paragraph the other day. I thought that the guy showed up when you weren’t there and left without saying anything. Then later he complained about not being able to get situated and connect to the internet. I didn’t realize he never even showed up at your house.

But yes, if you take it he does not deserve any kind of discount. Maybe he will never show again? That’s my kind of guest. But if you get a weird feeling then go with your gut. Something is odd about the situation anyway. He should have some reasonable explanation as to why he missed a 5 night stay but now wants to book 11 days.

Sounds like it’s a moot point, but I would absolutely positively not rent to this person again.

Sounds like you dealt with the situation very well. I think his behavior very strange, but at least you can be relieved that you can put him in the “weirdo” (thank-god he was a no-show) category, rather than “tragic end” category.