NEWBIE bout to Post my Listing...A few (OK a lot of) Questions

That’s great you got started with what you had. We just moved here actually last year with not much in the way of furniture, so I had nothing to put in the 2nd house! I have been collecting for a while and I cheaped out on some things that I fully expect I will need to replace eventually.

1 Like

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the “free cancellation” label is for the 48 hour window that Airbnb recently added as something hosts could offer during which folks could cancel penalty free. I am doing that, but still have a strict cancellation policy.

We also started with mostly what we had. After things started taking off we gradually upgraded/replaced things to make it look nicer. Comfortable beds, decent linens, and cleanliness are most important IMO. Some investments just won’t pay off right away.

Yea I wish we had more extras of things. We moved to town a year ago without much stuff, and then the rental is a whole other house, so I just didnt have extra beds, linens, coffeemaker, silverware, plates, utensils, pots and pans, couch, etc. So I did use any extras I had, and i bought a lot of stuff at thrift stores and super clearance, but things still add up! Even just bought today coffee and tea and dish soap and shampoo etc…Just added to the cost. I think I will feel better once we start making at least a little bit of the money back. And I think as of today I should be done. Except I forgot trash bags but those will have to come from my house.

1 Like

Ok I went live! Constructive criticism is welcome!

1 Like

I took a quick look. I may have time for a more critical look tomorrow.

I think you’ve done a good job with the space you have and the interior, which plain, looks clean and comfy. The place does not seem like only 640 sq ft. It think you’ve done well pointing out all the flaws. I love your sense of humor.

I know you aren’t done but you might consider going in a quirky direction with the decor as you get around to it, like this place in Phoenix https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8887741

Yea it photographed bigger somehow. The bedrooms especially. And yes, I didn’t open up the calendar til Saturday because tomorrow I have to go hang some art and put in pillows and towels and then friday a good deep cleaning!

1 Like

I love the quirky, too! But maybe I wouldn’t go quite so neg on the photo captions. E.g., “Fenced yard allows your pets to roam.” “Spacious carport for your vehicle.” “Small bathroom fully equipped with tub, shower, vanity” “Cozy bedroom #1 with queen bed” “Desks neatly tucked away in each bedroom,” “Private deck and patio,” and in the description “Rustic exterior, sleeps 4 . . .” instead of “exterior needs work, but sleeps 4 . . .” etc. I wouldn’t use the word “ugly” anywhere.
I think the title on the front listing page 'Smallest Home in Town- Cozy, Central “Cabbage” ’ (when I click on your link) will just confuse people. Maybe "Tiny House - Cozy, Central ‘Cabbage Cottage’ " would fit in the allotted character limit?
If you want to let people in on the nickname and create some fun, hang a wood sign “Cabbage Cottage” over the door, and have some cabbage-y knick knacks, botanical prints of broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbages on the walls, a few veggie-shaped pillows, it doesn’t have to cost much, you get the idea.

Oh that’s a cute idea. Yes before I had a different title, maybe I will change it back. Im having fun switching things up. I do think maybe I went a little too negative so I will adjust those, I also plan to take better photos tomorrow so that should help too. Rustic is such a good word for it!

1 Like

“Cabbage Cottage in Colorful Neighborhood.”

2 Likes

Muahhaha LOL

I swear its not that bad of a neighborhood. No one is gonna get murdered! Just people take really poor care of their homes!

LOL! No really. Play up the diverse neighborhood! The sad garden description cracks me up.

“If you are looking for the garden spot of New Mexico, keep looking. The Cabbage Cottage is not the place. it is, however, the perfect get away for the budget minded who don’t mind staying in a crappy looking but very safe neighborhood. We will gladly accept your help with the sad garden too. Bring your flowers, bulbs and potting soil. We welcome your improvements! “

Someone posted on reddit that their first guests on airbnb did some repairs aroudn the house. I can hope for gardeners!

1 Like

You might get famous if you market your cons! People might just stay there just because it’s funny and stands out.

So what’s going on now? Too many bookings? Not enough? The house burned down? Or hopefully, you took a long term booking.

You’ve either blocked all your dates or there’s a glitch.

Wait that must be a glitch I didn’t do anything. I have three bookings, first guest arrives Monday!

So can anyone see the dates now? Everything shows correct on my side. Heading over now to do new photos.

Last night I got a guy asking to book for 1 am March 10th, as in only 3 hours later…and tried to tell me that I was wrong for having the 10th open on my calendar…Maybe that messed with it?

It looks normal now.

No you aren’t wrong. The 10th starts at midnight but your check in time is your check in time. You will get the occasional weirdo who wants to check in in the morning. But if they do they have to book the night before.

People have reported their calendar not showing them as available for certain searches. Also people have reported blocked days becoming unblocked. That’s happened to me once for a single. day. BTW, a trick to avoid getting a booking on those days is to put an outrageously high rate for those days so that no one will book even if they are available.