NEWBIE bout to Post my Listing...A few (OK a lot of) Questions

OK so should I also turn off smart pricing? Currently I have it set for a minimum of 100 and it is putting a price of 140…that seems high to me but I’m not opposed to MORE money lol.

YES! You can look at their tips but don’t use them. Set your prices yourself. If they think you can get more it’s because they are doing comps on similar size houses that you know are much nicer.

Are you going to allow one night bookings and/or do you have a cleaning fee?

Also, smart pricing is jacking up the price because things are already booked up for nearby dates. So for spring break week you may want to price a little higher? Not too high because then people will just book hotels or drive over here to El Paso where they can get a place for half the price. LOL.

Check your competitor listings and see if any of them have availability for the 10-17 March

I plan to charge a cleaning fee of $50. And no, I am thinking minimum 2 or 3 night stay. Preferably 3 but I am not sure if people will go for it.

Competitors: No one has the whole week available. There are 2 listings that still have next Wed and Thurs open. All of the whole house listings are almost completely booked until at least the end of March. The private room listings are mostly booked through but with maybe an average of 9 unbooked days for the rest of the month. From what I can tell when my listing goes up it will be the only thing available probably.

Also, I noticed most of the other people are offering free cancellation. Now I am rethinking the strict policy.

Yeah so don’t price too low. 3 might be tough around there I’d start with 2 and at least get some bookings/reviews. If it’s too much turnover try 3 and see if bookings drop off. See what competitors have set. They’ve already figured some things out.

I know someone said not to compare to hotels, but the Townplace Suites in town is charging $600 a night which is insane to me. We actually lived there in an upgraded room for about a month when we moved here (thank goodness for Marriott rewards points). Basically, I think its def. a busy time of year. And you are right, most people have 2 night minimum so I will change that for now.

I had a couple reserve this morning and arrived about two hours ago from Atlanta. I asked them what they are doing in town and they are here to go to your area and other parks. I’ve had one guest after another going to or from Big Bend. It seems winter is the high season for the desert southwest so the sooner you get the listing ready the better.

We we worked our butt’s off this morning and the curtains and blinds are up, the furniture is built except for the side tables and I still need to buy some spatulas, a wine opener, etc for the kitchen. And the dressers have still not arrived but I think I could list without them (people use hangars right? Or just leave stuff int he suitcase?) And some minor stuff like hanging shelves and decor. I am hoping to take photos tomorrow so fingers crossed! I will share the listing to get opinions as soon as it is done!

1 Like

Also ok…I will stock coffee, and tea, and sugar. Do people need creamer? I have a fourth canister I could fill with something but not sure what. Maybe salt? Or I will just take it out.

Also I will put some spices, and probably butter and nonstick spray. Anything else you would consider necessary for a stocked kitchen?

I do but different folks like different things. Maybe just that powdered stuff.

The reason I said don’t compare is because that is not your market. The guy booking your place would never stay at a 600 place. Your competitors are not hotels. They are other Airbnbs.

1 Like

Sorry yes I understand. Not trying to compete with them. Just trying to give an example of how bad the shortage of places to stay is here- that hotel should not be that much- it is only a tier 2 hotel in the middle of nowhere desert. I’m guessing most people in the hotels are staying for work anyway and aren’t paying those rates. I know if I saw rates like that I would just decide not to come. Anyway I was just using that to say its currently a pretty busy time. There are like, 7 airbnbs in my town so it seems like even thought there is competition everyone is still mostly booked. The airbnb prices are high too, but since I’m not as nice of a place…People are already gonna be annoyed that this random town happens to have such expensive options but that is oil for you. I guess we will see how it goes. I will post the listing once I get it done and ya’ll can tell me if I am crazy over or under priced or if it is just not worth listing my little cabbage house.

I think I told you before that I get some bookings due to the shortage you have. They book here two nights and go there and come back. Or book here one night and drive over first thing in the morning and then go some other places. This morning I got a booking from a couple from Atlanta. They were here 5 hours later and guess where they are going tomorrow? They are looking to camp over that direction though. Maybe it’s because there are no airbnbs?

Yes I think you did. It must suck because that is such a long drive after a day of exploring. I wonder if we will get any of the same guests! I have to say you have been supremely helpful to me and I really appreciate it. I feel like the stress is building to a fever pitch and the only way to let it all go will be to finally just list! I am a person who tends to obsess a bit and I hope I can handle it all.

I wouldn’t be surprised, though I don’t get any families with children or two couples so maybe not that many. There is a host there who has stayed with me two or three times but she doesn’t seem to be interested in talking shop or comparing notes so I let it go.

Well I’m interested to talk about all of it. Been obsessing for months, even before we actually finished the purchase of the rental. Might be crazy to buy a place just for airbnb but even if we end up doing a normal rental we will be doing ok. I read somewhere you did a partial remodel to make your room a separate entrance- do you think that was worth the cost?

Yes but with the benefit of hindsight. I primarily did it for the purpose of being able to move my older, ailing sister into my home if need be. I wouldn’t have thought sinking $15,000+ plus into my home would pay off with Airbnb. However my sister suddenly passed away shortly after the work was completed. As I told the contractor, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I didn’t gain any pricing power due to increased competition but I was able to get 3x the bookings. Having them separate from the dogs I board and having the ensuite with private entrance was more desirable than I realized it would be. My only regret now is that I didn’t sink another $2000 in to get another 20 sq ft. That remodel was completed in Feb 2016 and I made enough in the last two years to cover it’s cost. I thought it would take 4 years because of how few bookings I got the first 1.5 years I did Airbnb.

Well that is reassuring because right now I feel like its just money flying out the window to get this place furnished. I am a budget shopper and have been shopping clearance and thrift and everything else to get good prices but still…every little thing for a new place adds up quickly! I keep telling myself, and my husband when he will listen, that it will pay off but there is certainly a risk and right now it just feels like hemorrhaging money.

When I started it was just the furniture I had in the guest room. My mom’s old sewing machine cabinet as a “desk” with a $25 wood folding chair. An old bookcase and a table from used furniture stores. I’d had them forever. I bought a new futon bed. No TV, fridge, micro or anything like that in the room. They used the bathroom across the hall and I bought nothing new for that. As time went by I added things. A window AC because it was hot. A TV to keep them in their room more. Then remodeling, getting a new desk to replace the sewing machine. Then adding small fridge and microwave. Then moving those. Then buying a rack to put them on. Then a TV bracket to mount the TV on the wall. I’m always improving the room but it wasn’t built in a day. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Tell your first guests it’s not completely done. Ask for suggestions. See what works in your market and what doesn’t. BTW, the $15 walnut table and the $5 mahogany bookcase are still in there. The futon got replaced with a metal platform bed and a Nest mattress.