New York Host How do avoid Condo Rules against STR?

Hi, I am just curious and I know that STR are illegal in pretty much entire NYC. But still there are so many condo Airbnb STR listings. There must be a way. Do people list under a different address? How does it work? I live in my condo but I have one room free. I don’t want to have a long term roommate. I have been hosting but now the Board sent a reminder that they noticed that one or more of the units are on Airbnb and they “remind” that this violates the bylaws…etc. Is there any way one can still host/rent without getting caught? How?

Agnes, why are you starting a new thread about this? We already answered you in the previous thread.

1 Like

Robert, thank you for all your replies. I appreciate your time. The idea of having a roommate is a good one too. I kind of prefer Airbnb for a few reasons. With a roommate you get stuck. With Airbnb people it is a completely different experience. In a month I have hosted/met/befriended people from Pittsburgh, Paris, Seoul, Geneva and Uruguay. I don’t care that much for stability.I like that people come and go. I am a traveler myself and I stayed with many Airbnb hosts all over the world. It is something that I like.
I don’t really understand the NYC condo rule. The condo is mine, I live here and I happen to have a spare room that I want to rent from time to time… I have no idea how this can hurt anybody.

Yes, I guess you are right. Sorry.

Also, with Airbnb I can have more flexibility and more money. I don’t think I could rent a room for more that $1000. I was charging $70 on Airbnb so renting it for only 14 days is almost what a roommate would pay in a month. Airbnb guests visiting NYC are great guests and they are mostly out sightseeing in Manhattan. A roommate is a different story.

Like I said, have a look at your by-laws, and see if it is in there.

It’s not the “NYC condo rule” you seem to be breaking, it’s the rules of YOUR condo association. Condos, as I’m sure you know, are separate units within a larger structure(s). This means the individual unit owners are sharing certain parts of the condominium, such as the outer walls and roof, as well as inside common areas like entryways and elevators and/or a pool or gym or outdoor gardens. Because you have a group of people sharing these things, when condos come into being an association is formed (usually made up of owners) and rules and bylaws are adopted to govern the use of the shared spaces. Many times, these rules include restrictions which are designed to protect the individual’s interest in the common/shared aspects and also to help owners get along in tight quarters. Very often, one of these rules is to disallow short term rentals because they can be disruptive to neighbors and cause added wear and tear on common areas. Some condo associations disallow short term rentals of the entire unit, others disallow them even of a room in an owner occupied unit.

I understand you may know all of this, but given some of your questions, I also thought it possible you don’t, so I thought I’d explain.

Posters in the thread and your previous one have been urging you to find and read your condo association or home owner’s association (HOA) documents so you know what they say. Have you done so? Only then will you know what you’re dealing with and what your options might be. It’s possible whomever is sending you these notices only thinks they know what the condo association rules are, or they are interpreting them the way they want to. Find out.

2 Likes

HOAs prohibit short-term leasing because of the negative impact on owners who reside there. In our condo downtown, there are 7 condos on our floor and over half have young kids. Everyone knows each other & I would imagine that parents wouldn’t like seeing strangers every few days in the hall, the elevator, entryway, etc.

When we moved out, our HOA wouldn’t even allow us to rent our condo to long-term tenants because there’s a renters/owners ratio of 33%. Luckily, someone sold their condo and so we were able to rent the unit instead of letting it sit empty.

Someone on our floor rented their unit for 5 months to a baseball player from Latin America who was playing for the Cubs for the season. The neighbors on our floor were annoyed, saying the family was too noisy and there were too many people coming and going, etc. Many of these neighbors were huge Cubs fans but even that factor wasn’t enough to mitigate their irritation with this renter who was “only” here for a season, LOL. Condo owners can be so uptight.

1 Like