New York City: AirBnB Agrees to Rat Out Hosts

It will certainly be good news for the 25% of hosts who are operating legally in NYC.

Apparently this means Airbnb is about to lose an estimated 75% of its NYC listings.

1 Like

Here is a follow up article

Airbnb will conduct a webinar June 29 to answer hosts’ questions.

@Lonestar we know that you’re disgruntled with AirBNB but I’d assume you’d applaud AirBNB for complying with the law.

Residents and Lobbyists can petition to change the law; and may actually do so, since rental vacancy rates in NYC are going up, as people move out.

With business and tourist travel down, and residents fleeing, this definitely works for those hosts who are hosting legally.

1 Like

I am simply reporting news.

1 Like

Somewhat, but your negative view toward AirBNB is apparent, by the topics that you curate.

2 Likes

The topics you curate

Arggh! No. Not the C word!

4 Likes

I refrained from using the F word* or the B word **

*Fox
** Bias

4 Likes

This seems to be a water shed moment. Toronto, Sydney, London, Paris etc. to fall in line as well. If that happens it will be fantastic news for the thousands of legitimate hosts in these major cities. For the multi-unit investors, however, it might be quite a painful adjustment. With 650.000 hosts and 6.1 Million listings on AirBnB, there is a lot of pain coming.

2 Likes

There was one story of a single host that had 250 units in one building. That’s just one story.

1 Like

I have a permit to operate my place and pay taxes. No sympathy for those who do not.

RR

11 Likes

I wonder if they will continue to litigate this city by city, or will they decide it’s more economical to just hand the data over upon request.

It’s all fun and games, till government starts taxing you because of the big hotel chains lobby.

I don’t think this is “play by the rules” nor this is good for Airbnb.

Government is not your friend.

We already pay our taxes. Our Hotel Occupancy Tax helps pay for things that tourists use such as cleaning up our beaches. In our state it can only be used to directly promote tourism which helps my business.

1 Like

Agree 100%. Especially if the host has a rent-controlled apt or does not own and are violating their lease = All revenue belongs to the landlord, plus 100% of legal fees, plus 50-100% of penalties allowed by state.

2 Likes

This is probably a pretty old fashioned view but what I don’t understand is what these hosts who flout the law are thinking. I don’t understand why they believe that laws don’t apply to them.

The word ‘entitled’ is bandied around a lot these days but I don’t understand why these hosts think that they are somehow special and that laws and regulations don’t apply to them.

It’s easy to assume that they are like that in other walks of life too,

1 Like

Just like the “hosts” who list on Airbnb in contravention of their rental agreement. Then they get all righteous about it, like they are somehow entitled to sublet without the landlord’s permission. “It’s not a business, I’m just subsidizing my rent!”

1 Like

Yep, I just don’t get it. I don’t consider myself an overly law abiding person (I mean I’ve had speeding tickets and so forth, not that I’ve robbed a bank :wink: ) but an illegal host is messing with pretty serious offences.

It’s not just the permits and so on but not declaring the income for taxes, not paying bed tax and so on … I’d not be able to sleep at night.

1 Like

Government is MY friend - I like paved streets, garbage collection, universal education, police and firemen who come when I need them, clean water, protected wildlife, safe to eat food, airplanes and cars that do not crash, etc etc.

Lack of fire exits, over crowding, ‘overlooking’ common safety regulations and not paying taxes (that pay for the above) - not so much.

Add on here: when I’ve rented an airbnb in Seattle the site auto adds the taxes, makes it so easy.

6 Likes

It’s everyone’s "friend. " I’ve yet to meet a true anarchist. Folks just disagree on what it should spend money on. Airbnb slipped into a little crack for awhile.