New Years Eve booking,

So I had a 3 day minimum at New Years then I got two bookings from the 24th to the 30th and figured nobody would book 3 days for a Wednesday holiday. So I raised the price from $295 TO $395 and took off the 3 day minimum. A couple of days ago I received an inquiry on VRBO asking what was the cancelation policy if he booked it and cancelled, I sent him the policy showing he would get no refund.

So he just now he instant booked and paid for the night, 6 guests (my max) one night. He has an @aol.com email which makes me think he is, well not young so there is that. I still am suspicious this could be a party but idk. I sent him this message:

Thanks for booking River Rock Retreat in Idyllwild for New Years eve! I see there will be 6 guests, just a reminder there are no parties, pets or extra guests allowed. Check in is 3:00, check out is 10:00 I will send check in information closer to your reservation. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything once you check in I am only a few minutes away.

Hopefully my worries are unfounded and the message is not too off putting…

How would you feel as a guest in these circumstances reading that message?

RR

2 Likes

Hope it works out beautifully!

1 Like

I wouldn’t have a problem with it. Since my party-boy group last year, that is pretty similar to my standard welcome message where I mention the check in, check out, the number of people, no parties/visitor rule and toss in that my caretaker lives “adjacent to the house”. Knock on wood, it seems to have held off the partiers. I had one group get that message and promptly cancel … Bullet dodged! (?)

2 Likes

I would say it’s perfect, just a friendly reminder of house rules. I especially liked that you mentioned you’re minutes away. They would be foolish to have a party. Keep us posted.

1 Like

Definitely not off putting, the message is fine.

I always tell future guests that I am ‘right next door’ and that’s never put anyone off.

4 Likes

I agree that the message is not off putting. Even the asking about cancel policy could be innocent. I’ve had properties I liked and wanted to grab but plans weren’t final yet so a strict policy would keep me from booking; I’d have to wait until I confirmed everyone or look for another place. And as for “party,” when I went to Costa Rica our party of 8 partied the entire time. We also had a chef and his crew of 3 in to prepare dinner one night. Yet we were perfect guests and wouldn’t have considered anything we were doing to be an event or party. LOL.

I’d try to check them in in person or maybe stop by later to hand deliver their complimentary bottle of bubbly. :wink:

2 Likes

I will do that for sure. I am guessing its a group of boomers, aol email has 100% of the time has been someone over 50 so far Which is better than a group of 20 year olds for one night on NYE

Interestingly I used ThatsThem dot com to check the email and it came up with a different name with no other information. That in itself is not conclusive to anything though.

I am not too concerned, if I get any indicators that something is up I will spend the night in the guest house 40’ away…

RR

4 Likes

id feel ok. i did something similar myself with my NYE guests but they claim they are going to a party and I should rest assured, no one else will come to my house. I’m installing outdoor cameras.

2 Likes

What is a ‘party’ anyways? You expect them to go to bed at 10 pm and not make a piep anymore? On New Years Eve?

Quite a hoot …so far I have only seen the first sequel. Got to search for the others.

As long as they do not have extra guests or disturb the neighbors we are good. This is not a party destination, the only “flag” is six adults one night NYE but I am not that worried. I am close by.

RR

1 Like

I think this looks great! I’ve found it smart to highlight a house rule or space condition that I think might be helpful for that particular group to know, so they can make an informed decision about where to stay.

Group of 8? Ok, as long as you know there’s one bathroom and that’s the absolute maximum amount of people the space can accommodate!
A full family for 7 days? Ok, just confirming that you’re booking a space with only a kitchenette and not a full kitchen!
4 women for a 20th birthday? Ok, please be aware that of the indicated Quiet Hours and No Parties allowed!

3 Likes